Identify this boat

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Wodza
C Guru

Identify this boat

Post by Wodza »

Is this a Madriver ME? Good solo boat for a heavy guy?

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z480032588" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ezwater
C Maven

Re: Identify this boat

Post by ezwater »

I don't understand the pattern on the hull. Not original with Mad River. The seats aren't stock Mad River either.

Hard to be sure if it is an ME.

An ME is a good solo boat for a big paddler. I paddle a MR Synergy, also a 15' tandem that can be used solo.

Remember that the last MEs were made long ago. The Royalex is likely to have become somewhat brittle. But you may never notice that unless you let your ME slide loose downslope at Chicken Coop Gap, and the bow pitons a large tree. That was a duct tape job.

Yano, viewing the second picture magnified, I'm not sure I can see the ME V bottom contour. Maybe that contour was just shallow enough that it's hard to see. And is the inside color of the boat the sort of grey seen on similar MR boats?

Smarter people will come to my aid.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I'm not a smarter person, but ... it sure has the lines of an ME. And I've seen stranger things done to stranger boats...
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Scott you referencing a planter in your yard or want girl scouts did to the ME Bob H. (multi-color tiger strips) now has?

ME - Good boat! For $400 its looks to be worth the time. Worse case is you hate it and sell it to fishing folks! :-)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Deckplates with those handles reminds me of Old Town canoes. Odd seats though. Can't recall what manufacturer would install those slat-looking seats. Regardless of the name, is it in good enough condition for the asking price?

Curious
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

PAC wrote:Scott you referencing a planter in your yard or want girl scouts did to the ME Bob H. (multi-color tiger strips) now has?

I was thinking about the 15' royalex Edge set up with webbing seats in the ends... The Mohawk Solo 13 set up with air bags and saddle with thigh straps. The rec kayak converted to a C-1...

I've seen slat seats like that in fiberglass flatwater canoes before and I've repurposed deck plates, seats, thwarts, etc... from one model / brand to another. There are lots of hybridized boats out there... Heck, some are in my yard.
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

The seats look like those in Indian River canoes (flat water boats) and thwart placement looks right too, but I've never seen one that wasn't made of fiberglass and definitely not IR deck plates.
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

ME http://youtu.be/0fKMEgugs-Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

It could be with replaced seats and a spray painted camoflage. Ive seen those deck plates on an ME and the shape looks correct