Hydra Duet

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

BillP
C Boater

Hydra Duet

Post by BillP »

I just picked up a well-used hydra duet, with the idea of putting my 6-year old granddaughter in the front on easy stuff. I'm going to completely redo the outfitting, and in the process of measuring the boat, I noticed that it's 52 inches from tip to cockpit rim on one end and 59 inches for the same measurement on the other. Wouldn't the traditional "front" of the boat be the longer end? It's set up now with the shorter end as the bow. For me and my grandbaby, that might actually be the better way to do it, but for two big boy paddlers, wouldn't the long end go up front (in fact, I might set it up to switch hit)?
Thanks!
ezwater
C Maven

Re: Hydra Duet

Post by ezwater »

:o Is this the boat of the week?

I don't know what the original outfitting was, but I would want a good stabilizing wall between those cockpits. And maybe lesser walls front and rear.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Never looked at a Hydra Duet, but when you consider that your center of balance will only be a few inches in front of the rear cockpit rim, the 7" difference makes sense to me.
BillP
C Boater

Post by BillP »

I agree with both posts. The 7" difference makes sense to me, too. And I do plan to put at least a 3" minicell wall between the cockpits. It has ethafoam walls at each end that are, surprisingly, still in good shape, but I may replace those with minicell, too.
I've heard that the original boats had a problem with the cockpit rims, and that the fix was to bolt and seal in some replacement rims. That's what this has, and they're in pretty bad shape. Would it be crazy to think about trying to do the same with some old gyramax or cascade rims (i.e. cut out a little bigger hole and pop in bigger replacement rims (with a 3-4" shelf to bolt to the existing plastic)), bolt or rivet it in and seal the whole thing with aquaseal or something similar?
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

I have a couple of these – one red & one blue (thanks to not Elvis). I even passed one off to Adam for the C boat Museum. Great boat to get newbies out! Long fast and stable (15’9” L by 32” W I think). I have a couple photos that I’ll try to track down.
First boat for my kids and what I take BSA kids out in first time in white water. Have both neoprene and nylon skirts with the nylon being the choice for younger, or newer, boaters on lower class water – easier on and off so it doesn’t scare them as much (search the site for how to make – quite simple). The neoprene skirts I have a bomber and make for a very dry day/
As for the cockpit rims – yep – fragile as all get out! I’ve welded a few and replaced a couple of them. If they break I’d go with fab’ing up a glass rim and bolt it in as a replacement.
Making a glass rim is easy, the measurements are about as simple as it gets and it’s an easy install in these boats. Just requires some glass, resin, and a larger diameter garden hose (search the site for how to do the layup) and some of your time.
Great boat for kids and you can even boof them. A PIG for sure but who doesn’t like bacon!!! Enjoy!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I have 2 perfectly useless Gyramax hulls with intact cockpit rims..
clt_capt
C Guru

Post by clt_capt »

PAC wrote:
As for the cockpit rims – yep – fragile as all get out! I’ve welded a few and replaced a couple of them. If they break I’d go with fab’ing up a glass rim and bolt it in as a replacement.
I'll second the glass rim. Easy to make, easy to repair.

If I remember correctly, the outfitting and center wall was pretty lousy. You may want to use a pvc pipe that goes from the rear wall to the forward wall as an anchor for a new pillar and saddle system - that would also give you some good anchor points for your straps.