[Video] Bilge pump installation in an open canoe

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Pea Pod
C Guru

[Video] Bilge pump installation in an open canoe

Post by Pea Pod »

I've just installed an electric bilge pump in my Esquif L'Edge, and made a short video, hopefully to help others understand the basics.

If you paddle whitewater, especially tight, technical sections that don't allow much room for emptying water that you take on board, a bilge pump is a valuable addition. This video outlines the installation process and materials needed.

A number of saddle modifications are useful, to allow the saddle to be removed quickly, but still have it securely in the boat when paddling. These include the addition of knee wedges that also anchor the front of the saddle laterally, and a three-sided piece of foam glued at the rear of the saddle to secure it. Screws through the thwarts, into dowel inserted in the bulkhead and saddle, prevent longitudinal movement.

Finally, if you paddle an Esquif L'Edge, or similar boat with the carry handle oriented longitudinally, rotate it 90 degrees and fix to the deck. Use the spare screw holes to secure the ends of the airbags with cord.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ3txIUbCzo
Pea Pod
C Guru

Re: [Video] Bilge pump installation in an open canoe

Post by Pea Pod »

I've uploaded a new version (that pleases the copyright peeps).

http://youtu.be/iQC58YVGA6o
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

thanks for your vid.
But i think you can put a pump with much less effort in your boat, just place it behind your seat and fix it with straps.
To optimize the performance the hose through the hull (right word?) should have no elbow, the length of the hose should be as short as possible and the hole in the hull should be as low as practicable, just above the waterline.
imagine
Pea Pod
C Guru

Post by Pea Pod »

Good ideas, I reckon. Thanks.
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

With the length of the saddle and the continuous rocker profile in the ledge, you ll always have an inch of water in your boat if you mount the pump behind the saddle. I also wouldn't want to drill a 1 1/4" hole right at the water line.

No pumps.
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

you´re absolutely right, the same in my Taureau. But a little bit of lean back solves the problem for me, I don`t know if it works as good with the L`Edge.
Put the hole through the hull the best a little bit over the waterline of the an an average filled boat , forgot to mention that. If the boat is completely full (how often does THAT happen ?), it´s way faster to empty it in the classic way.
imagine