C1 for those who need a tall saddle?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Coz Teplitz
C Boater

Re: C1 for those who need a tall saddle?

Post by Coz Teplitz »

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions, folks. Adam, I may take you up on trying out some of those C1s once the weather warms up - I'd be willing to drive out to the Hudson or Dryway to sit in some different boats.

And I hear y'all on the "just bear with it, and your legs will adapt" theory - trouble is, two years into open boating, I've found I've had to *increase* saddle height so I could keep boating - knees and ankles both causing pain. That was a large part of the reason I've started doing yoga, which has helped (especially with ankles/feet), but I don't think I can be too optimistic I will be able to shave several inches off my saddle. (I have been recently convinced that wider knees might help a little, so that's my next project for my current boat).

Anyway, thanks for the good solid list to get me started - Sith, Cascade, Karma, Hahn - basically, I know I'm looking for a wide, flattish bottomed boat. Good enough to get me started!
nam
C Guru

Post by nam »

Can anyone school me on what is a low angle saddle, and what it looks like.
nam
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Coz it was great paddling with you in Costa Rica! All good suggestions in this thread. As far as what boat to focus on is concerned, what kind of paddling do you want to do? That is a huge factor in determining which boat you should look at, i.e. there is no point in looking at something like a Cascade and/or a Hahn if playing and surfing are your primary goals.
What allows me to go as low as possible are a wide knee spread, in conjunction with a a short, wide and stiff saddle, which seems to minimize the pinching of nerves.
I find that, from a comfort point of view, having my feet flat or almost flat with no foot pegs is the most comfortable for me. Even in my open boat. Play around with knee angles and ankle angle, and even with leg twist. It's amazing what seemingly small changes can do. When I started to get into C1's one of my first boats was a Prijon Delirious that someone else had converted. Not knowing anything about saddles, I paddled it as is, with the saddle being long and narrow. It was excruciating, even when I raised the saddle to 7 inches. Then I got to try the Shaggy Sith, and my first thoughs upon seeing the 4.5 " saddle was 'that's never going to work!'. But due to the wide and short saddle and wide knee stance I was perfectly fine.
As far as boat recommendation, If you are mainly looking for some playful riverrunning and surfing and are fine with paddling a composite boat and thus staying away from hitting too many rocks, then the Shaggy Sith is an awesome choice. Gwyn and Martin really dialed the cockpit ergonomics in that boat, unbelievably comfy and stable due to it's width. I am sure you could get away with a saddle lower than 8" in a Sith. http://www.shaggydesigns.com/sith.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
RobertM
Pain Boater

Post by RobertM »

Just a small moment of chauvinism the Cascade. The right wave doesn't come along often, but when it does it's a fun ride. :D

Seriously, not a play boat, but a cushy river-runner. Try before you buy.
Robert

"One Fish, Two Fish
Red Fish, Blue Fish"
nam
C Guru

Post by nam »

I have the Sith and I paddle it mainly in the ocean surf and it is one of the amazing boat I have surfed. Everytime I paddled this thing I learned something new and it was so fun so ride it.
Yes the wider the knee spead the better the ballance and the lower you can go. The Sith has the width perfectly layed out..

Could someone just make a saddle that is height adjustable with a pump or something??? That can be easily adjusted without moving the skirt. Comon, it's got to be easy :)
Silent Bob
C Guru

Post by Silent Bob »

nam wrote:

Could someone just make a saddle that is height adjustable with a pump or something??? That can be easily adjusted without moving the skirt. Comon, it's got to be easy :)

Hmm. I have an idea, and it might, in fact, be pretty easy. I'll have to do a little tinkering at work on Monday. :evil:
nam
C Guru

Post by nam »

you can use that hand pump thingy that doctors uses to measure blood pressure. :) We should invent this together, and make a munch of money :) .
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Sell 50 and then retire