drysuit vs paddling suit for a big guy

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

jtodhun1

drysuit vs paddling suit for a big guy

Post by jtodhun1 »

I'm considering buying a drysuit for the Spring and would like some advice. I'm a big guy that doesn't get cold too easily, but I realize that doesn't matter when it comes to being wet. I"m primarily interested in value and fit.

What's the main difference between a drysuit, semi-dry suit, and paddling suit (besides price). What do people suggest for brand/models for somebody paddling in Tennessee, North Carolina and Alabama with the occasional trip to PA and NY in warm weather?

Is it better to buy one of the less fancy models that don't have the kayak-specific fit around the waist?

Thanks for your advice!
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Re: drysuit vs paddling suit for a big guy

Post by Wendy »

Kokatat does custom work for we bigger people. If you sweat alot get Gortex, relief zipper and booties. Give them a call. I have had non Gortex and I sweat alot- does not work. Make a wise investment.
Bill M
C Guru

Post by Bill M »

Some of us older people predate drysuits. You can paddle in cold weather whitewater without one, we're still here, but, the difference in comfort is amazing. I agree with Wendy on everything she said including my interpretation of investment meaning expensive. Don't not paddle just because you don't have one tho. Wetsuits with polypro and spray gear can work but a drysuit is the cats pj's
Bill
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

What's the main difference between a drysuit, semi-dry suit, and paddling suit (besides price).

Drysuit is dry, full immersion, latex gaskets
Semi drysuit, latex wrist gaskets, non latex neck collar, semi most often refers to tops not dry suits (common for kayakers) and maybe two piece top and bottom?
paddling suit, latex wrist gaskets but a non latex neck gaskets, not 100% dry for full immersion (for example, rolling a canoe)

If you are learning to paddle, and not interested in or learning to roll, a paddling suit is fine.
If you are going to be in bigger water, have longer swims, roll, etc, then a dry suit is best (and most common).

Other options such as wet suits are fine especially if the water temperature is not near freezing, or if you are starting out (cheaper).

A waist tunnel on the suit is best if you kayak or paddle C1 (decked canoeing). For open canoeing, it is not required.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;