boat for my dog and me

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

space-katet
C Boater

boat for my dog and me

Post by space-katet »

I am looking for a canoe that will take my 25 pound dog and me on up to class II. I'm thinking of something that has some space for him to move, with the option to remove the float bags. A tandem that is maneuverable for a solo paddler (and carry-er) is also an option.

I tried taking him out in my Zephyr last summer with poor results. First, he climbed up on the float bags. Then, I took the front bag out to give him some space, and discovered that the Zephyr is not made to have any weight scrambling around in its bow. I never realized how much I lean in the boat to get the Zephyr to turn, and every time I leaned my dog freaked out.

He does a great job in a big tandem on I's and II's. I just need a boat that I can handle myself. Ideas? Thanks!
valhallalongboats
C Guru

Re: boat for my dog and me

Post by valhallalongboats »

I've only taken the dog out a few times, but one thing I noticed is that having a stable boat seems to help the dog relax and not move around so much.

I had some good success with a 40-50 lb. dog in class I and II in a Sunburst. I moved the saddle back a bit so I had a nice large compartment between the saddle and the air-bag for the dog. I think the stability of the sunburst helped the dog to relax, and it helped me relax too! You could also try the same thing with a Mad River ME...should work the same way. Another option for such a small dog would be an Old Town H2Pro with a 48" bag in the front so the dog has some room...again, its a nice, stable craft.
Good luck!

-Rob
Canoeing isn't a sport...its an art. Unfortunately, I am not exactly Michelangelo.
NickParker
C Guru

Post by NickParker »

The OT Cascade has worked well for me for that type of use, neither me or the dogs have ever had a problem with it. There's one listed in the Mobile AL area right now:

http://mobile.craigslist.org/boa/4295224359.html

I rigged mine with a center kneeling thwart. Most of the time it also has the standard seats in it, along with small end bags. That is a very flexible setup.

Sometimes I will take out the seats and put in large end bags, depending on the trip. There's still enough room for overnight gear, and/or a dog the size of yours.
space-katet
C Boater

Post by space-katet »

Thank you! I'm not familiar with any of those boats, but after looking them up online, all three seem to be exactly the kind of boat I'm looking for.

Virginia is a long way from Alabama, but I might contact the craigslist poster and see what we can do.

Any other ideas? Anyone want to sell a boat?
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

Esquif Pocket Canyon
space-katet
C Boater

Post by space-katet »

Thanks, Doug, for the suggestion.
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Mohawk challenger and Odyssey should be added to your list.
Proud Yankee
hammerhead
C Guru

Post by hammerhead »

I had good luck with my Golden in my ME..versatile, adaptable. If I kept moving it was all good, go slow and get too close to shore and She would bail. But that was the dog's problem, not the boat's. Good Luck...It's always interesting paddling with a dog. Peace...
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

i enjoy 14 years of canoeing with my husky dog. OT discoveries in the beginning and ending up in an Old Town appalachian. now that he has passed i can OC-1.
Attachments
waiting for ice out.jpg
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Get your pooch his own boat - seems the Force would be the right one ;-)
clt_capt
C Guru

Post by clt_capt »

My previous lab spent a bunch of time with me on the Nanty and Tuck in a Bluehole OCA - Even though it is very old school, I paddled an awful lot of stuff solo in the OCA too...
JFC
C Boater

Post by JFC »

An XL-13 or 14 would be more than stable enough.