Anyone heard of these Drysuits?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Anyone heard of these Drysuits?

Post by Mikey B »

http://www.mythicdrysuits.com/collections/all

Quite the price...lack color choices, but could get into a suit cheap until affording a kokatat?
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Re: Anyone heard of these Drysuits?

Post by pblanc »

Heard about them, yes. But nobody apart from the manufacturer(s) has ever seen or used one as yet. According to Bob Holtzman, president of the company, the first suits are due to arrive from the manufacturer only today (Feb 25) and the first orders will be shipped out in the next couple of days, so hopefully there will be some initial impressions soon.

I don't know if you saw this thread, Mike. Of course, the opinions are all pretty much conjecture because no one has as yet actually used one:
http://www.paddling.net/message/showThr ... id=1686485" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In addition to their website they Mythic Gear also has a FB page with more up to date info:
https://www.facebook.com/mythicgear" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

Thanks Pete. I'm sure they are Chinese made at that pricing, but they make it sound like they are to their requested standard. Look decent. Could be quite interesting at that pricing?
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

One thing I do not like about those suits arethe exposed gaskets. Gaskets rip fairly easily when poked by anything. The latex is also very sensitive to UV light and brittles and dries out very quickly when exposed to it. Something to think about.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

Yeah, they definitely look better suited to flatwater paddling. I'm not sure the exposure to the sun for those who use them only a few times a year would really be all that bad, but I'd prefer covered gaskets...I tend to destroy everything I wear accidently :D
Looks like a few folks will be reviewing them on paddling.net. Be interesting to see what they think after a bit.
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

I am intrigued by these suits. I have a fleet of over 50 suits from various manufactures. Lets look at these suits for what they are intended for and not compare them to top of the line suits.

They are marketed as a low cost, frills free suit for the occasional paddler. Not for the full on whitewater paddler who uses their suit on a regular basis. Its great to have a new option to get people into and hooked on paddling. Having an entry level suit is awesome. We will see how they hold up. A new one is cheaper than most used suits out there. A lot of new paddlers are into many sports and the level of gear needed for various sports is stagering.

I encourage my students to buy a drysuit before they buy a boat as much easier to find a boat to borrow, or rent than a drysuit.

I like the fact there are no bells on this suit, every extra is a another seam to seal, another stitch u pay somone to put in etc etc. I also like no overcuffs for student suits as it lets me see the state of the gaskets, allows me to lube gaskets easier and replacing gaskets is easier on suits that dont have the overcuffs. I usually walk around to students and spray their gaskets with 303 at the start of the day, and get them to rub it in. Saves me a bundle of time.

Having 1 color means less outlay for the company and allows them to get in the market. I suspect I know who the manufacture is and I suspect they make suits for several different companies already. Also remember these are distributor direct so you are not paying for a sales rep, a retail store and staff, etc etc. These things all add up.

I am looking foward to trying one out with the eye of it being a good student suit and for the occasional weekend paddler and not to replace my Kokatat. Interesting on the other board how people are expecting their suits to last 10-15years. WOW imo that is a big expectation. I am happy to get 2 years out of a suit.
Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.
kmcinturff
C Boater

Post by kmcinturff »

The only thing I don't like about my Kokatat are all the cuffs. I can see the cuffs serving some purpose to keep UV rays off of the gaskets, but other than that I think they do more damage than good. They tend to hold moisture and grit, and make the suit harder to get properly dried and clean at the end of the day. Not to mention more seams and stitching to go bad and snag on things.

Mikey - what can you tell me about the boat in your avatar? It looks like a Taureau with flames in the front? I only ask because my 8 year old paddles a Taureau with flames painted on it and was wondering if there is some relationship? I bought it for him used a couple years ago.
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

Kevin,
that Taureau is indeed the one your son is paddling! :D I'm so glad it made it's way to someone who is thoroughly enjoying it. I got to where I liked the Taureau alright, but after making the StinkEye it never got paddled anymore...so it made it's way south :) Glad it found a great home! The poor Taureau's seem to be one more popular boats...up this way anyhow!
Mike
kmcinturff
C Boater

Post by kmcinturff »

That is great to hear Mike!

If you have a couple of pictures of you running some drops in the boat, I would love to share them with my son, kjturf at gmail . com
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Might be a good way to go for growing kids or anyone just starting out.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Some media info at
http://www.rapidmedia.com/kayak-fishing ... dium=email" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Einar
CBoats Addict

$$$$

Post by Einar »

I'd buy a Mythic. Start up costs for beginning ww canoeist are too high, even 2nd hand.

At worst case it's junk and you are out $325+/yr.
(Borrow a canoe and paddle. I keep a free-to-you repaired Viper 12 under the deck for sport samplers. If you wreck it bring back the bags, seat & straps, drop the hull at the dump)

At medium case the Mythic is average quality for 4 years at $80/yr.
And at best case it's $55/yr over 6 yrs.

As to gaskets I replace all 3 of my Kokatat gaskets approx/4+ yrs, all at once, under heavy use. Everything fails eventually, get ahead of the curve. and it's much easier/cheaper, now that there are socks on the suits.

Yukans on the money, good analysis, a little suit maintenance goes a long way.

Plug for Kokatat. Great company, great product, worth every dime I spent. In its time I've been thru several hulls and several paddles but I am in the same Kokatat suit. (Barely fitting, not their fault)
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder