softer minicell

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

slick
C Boater

softer minicell

Post by slick »

The foam often used for pedestals...the kind that is softer and lighter gray color compared to regular minicell...what is it called and where does it come from? --Tom
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: softer minicell

Post by Sir Adam »

Call Sweet composites (one of our sponsors... ad may be at the top of the page at this very moment...).

Most of my saddles are the "normal" grey stuff, just with the "skin" taken off.

That said, there are different "Grades" of the stuff, plus neoprene foam (for the ultimate in stickiness and comfort;) ).
Keep the C!
Adam
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Sir Adam wrote: . . . there are different "Grades" of the stuff . . .
As Adam suggests, what is commonly known as 'mini-cell' actually comes in many different varieties, with different characteristics -- different densities, different additives, softer, harder. . .

It also comes in differing colours -- Adam mentioned 'grey' whereas most of the stuff I've bought recently is black. If you buy chunks from your local dealer, they likely won't know much about the characteristics. The secret is to go to the supplier, and ask questions.

I don't know who that is in the U.S., but in Canada I've dealt (successfully) with Norseman Allfoam. When I buy a whole bun, they slice it to whatever thickness I specify, up to 3". If you want thicker than 3", they will laminate it. They will also skin it. Ask for the skins -- they are useful for cementing onto the surface of, say, knee-pads, to prevent wear on the foam.

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

What I've done is to make the pedestal out of firm minicell, which is easier to cut and carve accurately, and then for the seat surface, I get some closed cell camping foam, often aqua-green in color, and I contact cement one or two layers on top.
slick
C Boater

Post by slick »

I like that suggestion, Gary. Camping foam...you mean, sold as a sleeping pad?

Of course I called Sweet a while ago. I've always gotten the softer of the two types they sell. It matches the minicell that NOC sells.

Forgive me if I post this question again in six months or so. Somebody might have a bead on the stuff. Mikey and his imitators seem to use the same lighter gray, softer foam. I'll check out Pierre's source. Then maybe McMaster. --tw
Pea Pod
C Guru

Post by Pea Pod »

Rick,

Does Norseman have the product specs on their website for mini cell? Is it EV50 or EV380?
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

minicell is available in 2 lb and 3 lb density. the 2 lb is soft and is what is used in most outfitting.
slick
C Boater

Post by slick »

> minicell is available in 2 lb and 3 lb density. the 2 lb is soft and is what is used in most outfitting.

That jibes with my scale. A 7 sq ft chunk of NOC's 2" minicell foam weighs 2.25 lbs. That's 2 lbs/cf. And it's good & firm!

Density might not distinguish the softer lighter gray foam from this. I don't think the softer foam weighs less.

I've got a factory Bell Ocoee saddle, two Mikeys, and some home-builts using the firmer darker minicell. Besides being softer than common minicell, the factory saddles are also more elastic. After shoving a thumb into it, the depression disappears faster compared to common minicell.

Thanks for the discussion. --Tom
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

There are all sorts of grades, densities (from 2lbs/cubic foot to 12lbs/cubic foot), stiffnesses, and all available in different colors. There are different companies that make it under different names. I've gotten foam of the same basic spec from the same supplier, and had it come in different colors and (slightly) different stiffnesses. The stuff we use for boats is typically L200 2lbs density.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Pea Pod wrote:Rick,

Does Norseman have the product specs on their website for mini cell? Is it EV50 or EV380?
Quite honestly, I haven't looked. I've been happy with what I've always ordered, and haven't delved into the technical labels. Here's the webpage:

http://www.norseman.ca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As Jeremy and Slick note, 2 lb. density is pretty common for boating use, and the stuff I get IS 2 lb.

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

I've used this place for up to 2" foam
http://www.foambymail.com/MC2-/cross-li ... &Code=MC2-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proud Yankee