Horseshoes?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

road_warrior64
C Boater

Horseshoes?

Post by road_warrior64 »

For several years, I lived near Blackwater Creek in Jasper, Alabama. I could put in on Curry Hwy (AL. 257) and paddle about 2.5 miles through some great Class 2/3 rapids. Then, I'd take out, portage a half mile over the hill, and put back in a quarter mile from the put in. This "horseshoe" has been the best shuttleless run I've done but I'm sure there are others out there. Ideally, a creek would meander for several miles before winding back to within 100 yards of itself. Anybody know of anymore "horseshoes" out there?

JC
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Re: Horseshoes?

Post by pblanc »

Well, there is the lower Youghiogheny loop section in which the river has 6-7 rapids in the first mile below the put-in (below Ohiopyle Falls). The river gives up a good bit of gradient in the loop so the carry out is rather steep. I think it is a bit over 1/4 mile back to the put-in from the loop take-out.
thomsonbytheriver
Pain Boater

Post by thomsonbytheriver »

Slave River NWT. Stunning river, endless play and big water. Huge loop- end up back yards from your car. https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8 ... 797c7489c7
VTBoater
Pain Boater

Post by VTBoater »

The Dragover section of the Ouachita in Arkansas is a fun, easy spot with camping right at the put-in.
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/conte ... l/id/2699/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Atucky
CBoats Addict

Post by Atucky »

Mather Gorge (Potomac River, below Great falls).

Park at old anglers in, paddle up C&O canal, then paddle down Mather Gorge. No shuttle required.
Adam Trunnell