narrowing a boat?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

hazardharry
CBoats Addict

narrowing a boat?

Post by hazardharry »

i got a couple boats that i have pulled the gunwales in an inch or two. is this radical?
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
ezwater
C Maven

Re: narrowing a boat?

Post by ezwater »

Naw, you're still just a bourgeoisie boater. 8)
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

bugershoe? :o
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

I pulled in my Spark's gunwales by about 2". Probably lost a little stability, but not a lot. I like narrow boats so that my paddle stroke is more vertical.

Pulling in the gunwales will narrow the waterline and possibly straighten out the keel line a bit, so it depends on the boat whether the change is beneficial (to you) or not.
Bob P
canoewhitewater
C Boater

Post by canoewhitewater »

Used to pull my downriver racing boat thwarts in. It makes you a little faster. 2" is no problem.... You won't notice much difference as far as stability in your boat. You will be a little quicker........ Tiny bit less stable.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Bob P wrote: . . . Pulling in the gunwales will narrow the waterline and possibly straighten out the keel line a bit, so it depends on the boat whether the change is beneficial (to you) or not.
What Bob P said. In boating, to get something, you often have to give up something else.

I've tended usually to widen gunn'ls, rather than to narrow them, on the theory that it will increase the rocker, and thereby enhance the playability. (But then, I'm not a racer, and in the west, the play-waves tend to be shorter and steeper. . .)

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !