Snapdragon canoe pogies, anyone tried em?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

GSG
Pain Boater

Snapdragon canoe pogies, anyone tried em?

Post by GSG »

I've got a pair of LevelSix canoe pogies... they're terrible. Currently making due with some standard kayak pogies but obviously the T grip hand fit is less than ideal. ANyone tried the Snapdragon pogies? Would love to hear how they fit and how secure the T grip hand pogie is.

Wish gloves worked for me but they just seem to make my hands even colder.
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Re: Snapdragon canoe pogies, anyone tried em?

Post by Bob P »

With some scissors and a little neoprene cement, you should be able to modify a shaft Pogie to "fit" the T-grip better. Because neoprene stretches nicely over the T grip, my homemade Pogies don't need the Velcro closing strip so they are lighter and even seal better all around.

Make your own Pogies
Bob P
GSG
Pain Boater

Post by GSG »

Thanks Bob, how much overlap when you glue the seams?
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

GSG wrote:Thanks Bob, how much overlap when you glue the seams?
No overlap at all. The edges are all butted together. You can see how it's done further down on the instruction web page. The first time you stretch them over the handle can get a little scary, but with a little care and patience, splitting at the glue joint is very rare.
Bob P
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

What do you not like about the L6 pogies?

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Riverken
C Guru

Post by Riverken »

What about Toaster Mitts? I've used them and they are warmer than any gloves I've had. They haven't bothered me as far as paddle control is concerned.
GSG
Pain Boater

Post by GSG »

the great gonzo wrote:What do you not like about the L6 pogies?

TGG!
The hole for the T grip is way too loose, though I made it better by sewing it tighter it's still not great. They should velcro tight like kayak pogies. On the shaft pogie all the velcro disentegrated after a handful of paddles. They're not very thick and don't stay open well like a quality pogie. Overall a pretty poor product.
Riverken wrote:What about Toaster Mitts? I've used them and they are warmer than any gloves I've had. They haven't bothered me as far as paddle control is concerned.
Never tried em... firgured control would suffer. Might be worth a shot though.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

I have Toaster Mitts as well, they are incredibly warm, and are my go-to gear in rediculously cold water, but in regular cold temperatures I prefer pogies. for better paddle controm. I also find that the toaster mitts, while super warm, are pretty much useless anytime rope handling is required. found that out the hard way a little while ago when, while studying the intricacies of the recirculation of a fairly stout hole, I gould not grab the shoe string of a 1/4 inch throw rope with the mitts on and thus had to take one off first before being able to catch and hold on to the rope and being pulled out. It provided some great entertainment to any onlookers... :lol: :o Sadly it lead to the loss of said Toaster Mitt... :( .
I have had a pair of Mountain Surf Mitts, they were fantastic, sadly enough my paddle became pinned under water while running a drop unside down on the Mulets in Quebec (not recommended...) and I was never able to retrieve the paddle.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
disqo
Pain Boater

Post by disqo »

I have the snapdragon pogies and they are great. I used them on a 12 day, February, Grand Canyon trip and they were essential. Still holding up well and worth the money for sure.
roscoe
c

Post by roscoe »

I paddle OC-1 through the winter (west coast minus 8c). And have found the NRS Mambas to work very well. They are warm and fit over the T-grip comfortably.
Ross
OC1again
c

Post by OC1again »

I have some old Nantahala pogies, long gauntlet. Just cut/slived
one of them to fit the t-grip. Choose the under-lap portion of the pogie and don't cut too far back. Warm and works great.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

I am on my 4th season with the Snapdragon pogies, and they are really great. My go-to paddle's shaft is pretty skinny up towards the t-grip (Zap Paddle) and the hole is loose, but on a Werner Bandit, it fits just right. This has never really bothered me though.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Related to canoe pogoes.

I figured this out last summer when I started using take-a-part or break down canoe paddles for my arctic canoe trips.

Now I can separate the shaft and slide the pogies on without having to open and deal with opening and closing the velco.

For the far north I've been using 2 and 3 piece Aqua Bound Edge canoe paddles because you can pack them in your checked baggage.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

I only use one pair and a thick NrS titanium glove. Find a friend who paddles opposite and split a pair of each
Proud Yankee
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Post by squeakyknee »

I am working on Tgrip pogies currently. Will post up soon when I have some in stock.