Custom Bag Preference

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Custom Bag Preference

Post by chuck naill »

Why are paddlers spending $300 each or more on bags? I used plastic in the '80's with no issues. The yellow nylon Voyeurs I got 25 years ago still hold air. I just bought a set of 48" Harmony for $65 each. What am I missing?
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Re: Custom Bag Preference

Post by Wendy »

The bags Shawn makes hold up really well, have raft valves that don't tear up as easily and can be repaired/replaced. His bags fit each boat much better allowing less water into the boat. His bags when inflated are not as sensitive to water/air temp changes. The price of airbags has increased in recent years. His price of $250 for a pair that will last a long time is not much more than you pay for Harmony with a lot better quality.
Nice to have choices between the old bags and a custom fit bag, that you can also have unique covers designs if desired.
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Post by chuck naill »

$250 for a pair is not that bad. Thank you for explaining the rational.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

More rationale:
With the evolution of designs and materials used open boaters are pushing the limits more and more.

Boats and bags need to stand up to higher stresses when hucking a large drop or during a must make eddie / line move.

Having a bag fail at the wrong time during a critical situation now has a lot more risk assocaited with it. :o

As a weekend warriors its also very nice to know that I don't have to go looking for goop or duct tape at the put in, or worse half way down a run.

Yes - technology is expensive but some times its worth the stress reduction. My $.01. :wink:
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Not to mention the possibilities in custom pockets and tiedowns
Proud Yankee
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

I paid $110 each for 54" Esquif bags and took advantage of Shawn Alexander's Christmas special and bought a pair of 60" nylon bags for $225 (regularly $250, I think). Fall Line Canoes' Bomber bags are far superior and in the same ball park for price.
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Post by chuck naill »

PAC wrote:More rationale:
With the evolution of designs and materials used open boaters are pushing the limits more and more.

Boats and bags need to stand up to higher stresses when hucking a large drop or during a must make eddie / line move.

Having a bag fail at the wrong time during a critical situation now has a lot more risk assocaited with it. :o

As a weekend warriors its also very nice to know that I don't have to go looking for goop or duct tape at the put in, or worse half way down a run.

Yes - technology is expensive but some times its worth the stress reduction. My $.01. :wink:
There was a whole lot of WW open boat performed with off the shelf vinyl or nylon. I do realize that some of you all are pushing the limits. If you need a custom set of $500 bags, I just needed to know why. Things have changed and I am just catching up. Thanks.
Last edited by chuck naill on Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

There was a whole lot of WW open boat performed with off the self vinyl or nylon. I do realize that some of you all are pushing the limits. If you need a custom set of $500 bags, I just needed to know why. Things have changed and I am just catching up. Thanks.
8) We get it! I still have a number of Nylon bags still in play, and a very few Vinyl ones too. Pretty much all of them have required some maintenance (goop or duct tape a patch). Two exeptions: A monster Harmony center bag and a pair of pyranha bags (in Prelude)... I'm starting to believe they have been specially blessed based on life to date and abuse. Hope I just didn't jix myself! :wink:

But again the fit is not the same (water displacement). Nor are there the extra sweet features like storage etc.

However, if you're just out cruising on lower class fun runs and already have bags that work I'd stick with what you got until you absolutely need to replace.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!