Denver this weekend?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Denver this weekend?

Post by sbroam »

I'm flying out to Denver with my wife where she will be taking a class. Any local boating opportunities Thu-Sat for a c-boater who is bringing no gear? Flat water? will have a rental (looks like a minivan is the cheapest?!).
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Re: Denver this weekend?

Post by busterblue »

You might also try posting to mountainbuzz.com. There are a lot of Colorado boaters on there.
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

There are whitewater runs flowing close to town now. We are having unusually cool and rainy weather.

What type of water and boat are you wanting? Are you bringing no personal gear?
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

My wife is taking a class Thu-Sat noon and we fly out early Sunday. [She won't want to paddle] I'm trying to travel light and didn't really even think about the possibility of paddling until this morning. But... I might squeeze my dry suit in if it makes sense (i guess I better figure that out since we leave in just over 4 hours...). As rusty as I am whitewater-wise this season, I probably ought to keep it on the low side of class III. I'm not above rafting :-)
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

Based on the weather forecast, a drysuit would be a great thing to be wearing.

Runs that come to mind would be Clear Creek from it's canyon mouth into the Golden play park or the Deckers/Chutes stretch of the S Platte.

Are you wanting to go open or decked?
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

You might like Boulder Creek in Boulder, too. It's low, but runnable and could be jumping up soon.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

It's probably a lot easier to fit in a borrowed open boat than a borrowed decked boat, especially with as much as I put on the scales...
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I hooked up with http://www.goldenriversports.net/ws/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - they (unsurprisingly) don't have any C-boats, but they do have a C-boater on staff - Dennis. I took out a Pyranha Fusion on the whitewater park there in Golden. Yes, it was a kayak, but it was an open boat (whitewater sit-on-top)... Neat area and while the park might not be 100% natural river, it was a convenient way to squeeze in some paddling (given my small windo of opportunity) with some fun features. I'm glad I brought the dry suit...