Esquif/Mike Yee Outfitting

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Esquif/Mike Yee Outfitting

Post by chuck naill »

I have a used Esquif boat. Did Esquif use Mike Yee outfitting or their own version of the same? Thanks.
MarkT
Pain Boater

Re: Esquif/Mike Yee Outfitting

Post by MarkT »

If it's Mikey's, the straps would say "Mike Yee Outfitting" on them.
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Post by chuck naill »

Must be their own version, but it looks the same as on Mike's website.
h2sk1
C Guru

Post by h2sk1 »

chuck naill wrote:Must be their own version, but it looks the same as on Mike's website.
I first boat had Mike Yee outfitting, and I've paddled the VertigeX (tandem), Spark and Zephyr. The outfitting may look similar, but in my opinion, I much prefer the Mike Yee outfitting. Enough, that if it was a Royalex boat I'd order just the shell and put in Mike Yee stuff. I wouldn't do that with the Zephyr though, given the difficulty of getting the outfitting to stick. I'd just live with the Esquif factory outfitting.
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Post by chuck naill »

h2sk1 wrote:
chuck naill wrote:Must be their own version, but it looks the same as on Mike's website.
I first boat had Mike Yee outfitting, and I've paddled the VertigeX (tandem), Spark and Zephyr. The outfitting may look similar, but in my opinion, I much prefer the Mike Yee outfitting. Enough, that if it was a Royalex boat I'd order just the shell and put in Mike Yee stuff. I wouldn't do that with the Zephyr though, given the difficulty of getting the outfitting to stick. I'd just live with the Esquif factory outfitting.
You may have a point. The boat came with everything including NRS life time bags so I'm not complaining.
MarkT
Pain Boater

Post by MarkT »

I didn't really give my opinion in my earlier post cause I assumed it was already outfitted. I love Mikey's outfitting and have put it in several boats over the years. Quality and comfort, plus you can make it as tight as you need to stay put.
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Post by chuck naill »

MarkT wrote:I didn't really give my opinion in my earlier post cause I assumed it was already outfitted. I love Mikey's outfitting and have put it in several boats over the years. Quality and comfort, plus you can make it as tight as you need to stay put.
Honestly, I would hate to have to install all those anchor points......LOL. :lol:
MarkT
Pain Boater

Post by MarkT »

I do the bag cages my own way, with just one anchor at each end. The strap anchors aren't that hard to figure out.
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Post by chuck naill »

This boat was an NOC demo. They did the pedestal and anchor set up, not sure what brand of anchors and bag cages used, very impressive and complicated cage set up. It is a double knee strap system with adjustable Yakima toe blocks.
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

I believe the Esquif outfitting (black thigh straps with red webbing) is made by Beluga world. The biggest difference is the webbing - the Mike Yee has much tougher webbing & stitching (I've broken Esquif straps). The Mike Yee pedestals are also shorter - his XL pedestal is the same length as a standard Beluga.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

The Zephyr I have was an early NOC demo and almost all of the anchors came out(2 each for air bags plus two lower thigh strap anchors) . These were kevlar (I think, been a long time) patches with loops that appeared to be epoxied in - the epoxy didn't flex when the boat did and they popped. The upper thigh strap anchors are big vinyl patch D rings - not sure of the adhesive, but they have held. I've used Goop to replace the d-rings with good success.

The original straps were Esquif style (black / red) and I always thought the funky buckle would break so I pulled them out and put them in a C-1 (much less stress). Replaced them with 2" flat webbing and Fastex.
JimW
C Guru

Post by JimW »

DougB wrote:I believe the Esquif outfitting (black thigh straps with red webbing) is made by Beluga world. The biggest difference is the webbing - the Mike Yee has much tougher webbing & stitching (I've broken Esquif straps). The Mike Yee pedestals are also shorter - his XL pedestal is the same length as a standard Beluga.
Its pretty easy to copy outfitting, but the devil is in the detail as DougB explains!
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Post by chuck naill »

I'll let you all know if these break. They are red with black pads. Its an '08 model so they've lasted this long.