Sacramento region

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Einar
CBoats Addict

Re: Sacramento region

Post by Einar »

Sorry for the thread steal. It's getting really dry out here on the West coast, not much left to do than navel gaze.
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
Pea Pod
C Guru

Post by Pea Pod »

No worries. I'm from a dry continent. I get it.
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

i can't personally speak towards the attitude of club folks, but I can tell you that being one of the few OC1 boaters here in the Golden state, the only sideways comment I ever received while out boating was along the lines of "man, that's a weird lookin kayak!" most people I run into who aren't in my group of paddling buddies are actually intrigued and curious. I just ran the Chili Bar section of the South Fork the other day and other kayakers were either friendly, or just went and did their own thing like I was in a boat just like them.
Peace Pow and Paddling!
Pea Pod
C Guru

Post by Pea Pod »

truckeeboater wrote:i can't personally speak towards the attitude of club folks, but I can tell you that being one of the few OC1 boaters here in the Golden state, the only sideways comment I ever received while out boating was along the lines of "man, that's a weird lookin kayak!" most people I run into who aren't in my group of paddling buddies are actually intrigued and curious. I just ran the Chili Bar section of the South Fork the other day and other kayakers were either friendly, or just went and did their own thing like I was in a boat just like them.

That's generally the attitude that I come across in Australia, too. Some confusion mixed with curiosity. Never had anyone tell me I'm stupid, but they probably think it every now and again cause I swim more often that most kayakers. But there's a good mix of admiration too.
Pea Pod
C Guru

Post by Pea Pod »

Some follow-up.

Since arriving in northern CA, I’ve managed to flick through Charlie Pike’s “Paddling Northern California”, as well as scout Cache Ck where I’ve been swimming daily--it’d certainly be a place to practice and have some fun. Further east, the SF of the American River sounds challenging (and busy), as mentioned above, and the NF American River sounds like it would also be worth a paddle. The Truckee River has grade 2 - 4 runs.

Regarding open canoes in CA: the author is an OC paddler who has paddled in the northeast and south, so there are photos & consideration of OCs on more than just flatwater & grade 2 runs. There’s a mention of the Six Rivers Paddling Club with a photo of well-equipped whitewater OCs.
edg
C Guru

Post by edg »

As for the Truckee river, it is unfortunately as low as I have ever seen it since I moved here in 1999-2000. It's literally possible to walk across in places. I would think the releases on the SF American would be the best bet for actual water this summer.
Carol
C Guru

Post by Carol »

Unfortunately, Six Rivers Paddling Club is basically no more-officially. After 25 years, there aren't enough active members left to warrant the ACA insurance dues, etc. etc. The big problem, at least in northern California, is that there isn't any new paddling blood coming in. Our club is suffering from-old-age syndrome, as our average age is 55 years plus. Very few of us anymore are willing to do technical 3+ runs-like the Pigeon Point run on the Trinity.
In our past, 6 RPC has been fortunate to have had a very active boating history. Other than our local rivers, we've been able to explore the rivers in Oregon, Montana and Idaho.

If you're ever in this part of northern California drove free to contact me, and who knows maybe we'll be able to introduce you to our local rivers.

The kayaking community is also a fraction of what it has been historically, not sure for the reason there is a Trinity River is runnable year-round.
JimW
C Guru

Post by JimW »

I have friends who live near Chilli Bar which is probably your best bet for water this summer from what I've heard. I get the impression they don't see many OC1s around there, but Hilde was guiding on my last Grand Canyon trip which I did in OC1 so at least some of the locals have an idea what they are and what they are capable of (and I'm sure you will be in something smaller than the 14' whitesell I hired!). I remember I got a good beating in Chilli Bar hole in a kayak back in 2001, but there are less sticky play holes further down ;)

Just check the gauges on american whitewater and if something is on turn up and hope to find someone to shuttle/paddle with. If kayakers are nervous about OC1s you'll probably hook up with rafters OK, totally different camaradary amongst river runners of all sorts than we are used to in the UK - I've only kayaked in Cali but hooked up with family groups in rafts for shuttles several times, not to mention kayakers we met at the put in or camp site....
Pea Pod
C Guru

Post by Pea Pod »

I'm sorry to hear about 6 RPC.

I won't be doing any paddling this time round. Maybe a ride with a Cache Creek rafting company, but that's it. I'm considering this a reconnaissance trip and a cultural exchange! With the current temperatures in the high 90s, low 100s, I'm more than happy to swim. And today, I'm being taken to a swimming hole on the American. Not exactly sure where yet, but I'm told it's beautiful.
Pea Pod
C Guru

Post by Pea Pod »

We drove to Auburn, CA, and swam near the confluence of the North and Middle Forks of the American yesterday. What glorious water! Clear and a perfect temperature. I spied the South Fork below Chilli Bar at Coloma. I can’t wait to come back when the levels are good and I have a boat to paddle.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Pea Pod, the North Fork American is gorgeous..and has some great rapids! one my favorite rivers.

Are you going to be coming here on a regular basis?
Larry
Pea Pod
C Guru

Post by Pea Pod »

Larry Horne wrote: Are you going to be coming here on a regular basis?

No, it will be irregular. The next likely time is summer 2016.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

next year IS going to be a wet year, so there should be many options. make it in may if you have a say in the matter. :wink:
Larry
Pea Pod
C Guru

Post by Pea Pod »

Thanks for the tip, Larry. I'll do my best!