Curved versus Flat Blade

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

milkman
C Maven

Curved versus Flat Blade

Post by milkman »

In the new "what paddle" thread, Kaz raises an interesting question--why does a paddler want a curved blade? I'm not sure about the science behind it, but I've felt I get better catch and a little more power. I know it felt that way to me when I first made the switch from flat to spoon. But occasionally I've switched paddles in a run and didn't really noticed much loss of catch or power when using a flat blade. So are the benefits psychological or real?
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Re: Curved versus Flat Blade

Post by Bob P »

Typically, the difference is small, but I suspect that most spoons are slightly narrower than their flat equivalents. Mostly though, I much prefer the smoother underwater recovery of the spoon, but that's from the different shape of the horizontal cross-section. It's been a long time to recall though: The last flat-blade I paddled with was deep in the 20th Century...
Bob P
Riverken
C Guru

Post by Riverken »

Honestly, I can't identify the exact reason, but I do think they work better than flat blades. If you're Kaz, it might not make a difference. Me, I need all the help I can get.

I mentioned that my shoulder hurts. Because of that, I have been forced to paddle correctly, as many people have tried to teach me over the past 19 years. Let the big muscles in your core do the work. It works, and doesn't bother my shoulder! Well, they say experience is the best teacher. Bob Foote, if you're out there----you were right all along.
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

Sometimes a smaller blade will help minimize shoulder pain
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Post by chuck naill »

I have a Clinch River paddle whose profile is more triangular than a rectangle. I notice Norse makes a similar design called a SW Wildwater, http://norsepaddles.com/product.php?id=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It's been 11-12 years since I had Bailey Johnson make the paddle and I cannot remember the advantage of the design. Perhaps it moves through the water more easily and put less strain on the shoulder.
Atucky
CBoats Addict

Post by Atucky »

I use both flat and spoon blade paddles. One benefit of the spoon blade is that it feels to like the true J stroke is more effective at the end of the stroke.

I agree that the flat blade feels a bit easier on the shoulders.
Adam Trunnell
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

I got my Zap paddle last week and have used it three times. It is very nice for the shoulder, very powerful, soft shoulders, and a unique shape.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Riverken, go for a small blade as well. Paddle with a faster cadence. It will be easier on your body.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
benman
c

Post by benman »

I find the curved blade helps with static draws while surfing.