ovation pedestal placement

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Black Dog
c

ovation pedestal placement

Post by Black Dog »

Bought a used Ovation. The pedestal is now mounted towards the Stern . All the pic's online show the same placement. Since it is a asymmetrical hull can I move it Forward? I put it in the water and it s Bow light about 2 to 3 inches.
My primary use will be down river not play boating. I would like to move it 2 inches up as it would solve a lot off outfitting problems. This is my first true O.C. 1 I would like to get it right any help would be appreciated .
The pedestal also seems high at 9" I am 160 and 5' 9": what do you guys think?
ELGOTTO
C Guru

Re: ovation pedestal placement

Post by ELGOTTO »

My Ovation is set up with the pedestal seat back 76" measured from the bow and it is 8" high. I am about 170# and this works fine for me. I suppose I could move it forward an inch or two and it would still handle well. My personal opinion is 9" is a little tall but try it first and see how it handles. If it seems tippy trim it down a bit. The taller you can leave it the better your knees will like it.
Black Dog
c

Post by Black Dog »

Where are you measuring from? On mine it is 78' from tip of the bow deck plate to the front of my seat back where my back would touch.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Great news, and welcome to OC1 ownership.

I know a paddler who loves his Ovation, it's still his go to OC1.

Try putting a spacer block of foam (1 inch, 2 inch) between your back and the seat back to simulate moving your seat forward and check the trim and see how it paddles.

Of course, it's best to check trim with you in the saddle so work with another paddler.

In general, I'd say go for it and move the saddle.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ELGOTTO
C Guru

Post by ELGOTTO »

Measuring from the tip of the bow deck plate to the part of the pedestal where your back touches. Just like you said. 76"
Black Dog
c

Post by Black Dog »

Thanks for the info. Do I want to stay bow light in a asymmetrical hull or have neutral trim?
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

For both asymmetrical or symmetrical hull I'd go with neutral trim.
Brian
ELGOTTO
C Guru

Post by ELGOTTO »

I tend to think of that as personal preference or the way you like the boat to handle. I like to be just slightly bow light.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

True.

It is easy to paddle and position forward to weight the bow when required if the bow is slightly light.

As you said, personal preference. People do have different paddling style and thus trim preferences.
Brian
Black Dog
c

Post by Black Dog »

Thanks taking time to answer. I feel the seat is too far back for me 2" up will make it just a little bow lite and I'm going to lower the seat an inch also . Can't wait to paddle some fast water to see how it handles !