New Karma Med on its way - Where should my seat back be?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Denny Kortze
c

New Karma Med on its way - Where should my seat back be?

Post by Denny Kortze »

I'm finally getting my Jackson Karma Med C-1, special ordered with factory installed C-1 outfitting. I've never tried their outfitting but I'm pretty over outfitting boats and if its decent and something I can work with it'll be a godsend. Lots of good info on here about the Karma, and I've read the seat position is very critical. But I've been unable to find exactly what works for Karma owners. Where should I start?

I'm really psyched that with their outfitting, even if I don't get it right initially, changing the seating position looks very simple. I've probably outfitted over 15 boats and the way I do it is pretty committal on positioning, it'll be nice to have some flexibility.

My last few boats have had snowboard ratchet straps for thigh straps, and I'm a big fan. Mostly I scavenged them from old broken bindings. I need a new pair for this boat and I found these

https://www.ratchetingbuckles.com/ratch ... er-straps/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They're a little pricy but look really nice so I ordered a set. I'll post some more info once I get everything together.

FYI - I'm about 165 lbs.

Denny Kortze
NickParker
C Guru

Re: New Karma Med on its way - Where should my seat back be?

Post by NickParker »

I can't answer your question, but thanks for sharing that link to those ratcheting straps. I saved the link, those straps could come in handy...
Wodza
C Guru

Post by Wodza »

If you use the back band in the factory outfitting you will not have to worry about this at all. I use the back band in all my outfitting and I have a jackson zen and superstar. I'm constantly adjusting where I want to be in my boat depending on what I want to do, (ie stern squirt/stall vs forward to punch a hole.)

Just try to set your knee pads somewhere in the middle of where you think you may be. I generally just set it up as though my hips will be where the existing hip pads are.
ClassFive Boats
C Guru

Post by ClassFive Boats »

It is critical where you sit. Here's what I do.
Find a fast shoot of water so you can do quick / short ferries . Setup way too far forward and try a ferry. The bow Will be overly grabby , and quickly turn and the boat will feel unstable. Now move a 1/2 inch back and ferry again. Now move back another 1/2 inch and try again . And and so on. There will be a point the bow releases.
And The ferry will be smooth and the boat stabilizes. Now you right on top of the sweet spot for your weigh.
At this point Move 1/4 inch either way to fine tune Your position .
Vic
Denny Kortze
c

Post by Denny Kortze »

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try that out and post what I find once I finally get around to finish outfitting it.
whistlepig
c

Post by whistlepig »

I've converted several boats and the trim seems best always somewhere between 8 - 91/2 inches. Depending on the boat and cockpit design and how big your thighs are you could possibly need to trim the edge of the cockpit.
"Free your heels. Free your mind."