L'edge Superlite

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

jdryden78
c

L'edge Superlite

Post by jdryden78 »

Anyone have first hand experience with one yet?
cbates
Pain Boater

Re: L'edge Superlite

Post by cbates »

What!!! Hadn't heard about this one. What's the weight on it? Thanks for any info you can give me!
jdryden78
c

Post by jdryden78 »

I have spotted a couple pics on the GDI page. My dealer is supposed to have mine coming down on the next shipment of boats he is getting. Anxious is an understatement.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

A post from Andrew Westwood on FB: "Here is the new L'edge Super Lite. With wood trim (black stain), Tsunami 1200 pump, and the outfitting you see, the canoe comes in at 42 lbs. Maiden voyage will be at the Alf Race Sunday on the Tellico." The file picture is too big for me to share here, but here is the link to the post: https://www.facebook.com/groups/GDIh20/ ... 1195751856" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jdryden78
c

Post by jdryden78 »

Just saw that this morning, love the stained gunwales. Dealer texted me earlier and said mine should arrive Sunday.
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

I didn't paddle one but I unloaded one from my bus and I can say that they are crazy light weight and do exist. As I pulled it out Willow Mason's boat I said, "wow, that's light!" The guy standing next to me says, "wait till you lift my c1." As I unloaded his c1 it was apparent that the weight was not much different between the two boats weights. This spurred a spontaneous boat lifting party along the Tellico. That's all I've got.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
jdryden78
c

Post by jdryden78 »

Well I'm still anxiously awaiting the arrival of mine. Guessing the weather has slowed things down.

*Update* my boat was shipped to the UK AFTER my dealer paid for it...so now the wait begins again unless I chose to go with a standard Lite
insolence
CBoats Addict

Post by insolence »

In terms of paddling, I love it a lot. I consider getting one for myself. It's a little wide for me - i'm only 5 ft 5- but I could shorten the gunwales and make it more narrow
it's gettin hot
I MAKE THE WATER BURN
purple orange flames
blaze where I put my paddle
pmp
CBoats Addict

Post by pmp »

my thoughts on the superlite. it's 43 lbs! it paddles like a composite boat, meaning responsive and quick. i'm going to try slalom racing in it this spring.
There are a bunch of photos on my fb page of the superlites.
I see a comment from a shorter paddler, willa is short too and she wouldn't change a thing to the dimensions. She was worried about reaching the water, until she paddled it. Also the light weight makes it easy for her to throw it around on the river.
The superlite boofs easily and positively pops off scrub boofs.
Will it last? i'm not holding back at all on the creeks and wear so far is normal. Will I wear through the hull faster than a lite? I dunno, I guess so, but i've never worn through the hull of a lite either. in the end i'd rather not be moving a few extra pounds of plastic boat all the time, just in case...
So If you're a smaller or lighter paddler yeah go for the superlite. If you're a 200 lb mountain of muscle get a regular lite. You're not gonna notice a few more pounds on a boat anyway and you've got the power to make it perform.
bubblestreet.ca
theracane.ca
jdryden78
c

Post by jdryden78 »

Good to hear some reviews. I have yet to paddle mine. I chose the superlite bc I wanted as light a boat as possible. I'm not the lightweight paddler, but just a fluffy 200lb one. I figure with the limited paddling I do, durability shouldn't be an issue.
Atlas
c

Post by Atlas »

Day 2.
so keep in mind I'm very new to canoes in general. I got my l'edge superlite two days ago and have had one pool session of kayak polo,and one little day of surf practice at the local beginner wave. I spent all winter in an atom and all my river days in a probe 11( you know all 5 of them). so far I'm in absolute love with the boat. its fast. it responds well. I can actually roll it. but possibly in some form of buyers remose I worry about the thickness of the boat. and as someone who over engineers everything I use. I worry that Ill wear it out faster than I had predicted. and might have wanted to buy a lite instead of a superlite, HoweverI normally avoid rocks at all cost. I don't like to boof them. so. I will keep giving updates throughout the year on how it is handiling general wear and tear.
pmp
CBoats Addict

Post by pmp »

cool to hear you like your new superlite. i'll try to keep you posted on how my superlite is lasting. i hit and smear every rock I see, drag it on portages and just generally paddle it as usual. Actually, you can see me sliding down rocky embankments at my previous creeking course, on a video someone posted on my fb page.
paul
bubblestreet.ca
theracane.ca
Einar
CBoats Addict

Use versus Abuse

Post by Einar »

If you paddle "too much" in your great boat and it eventually wears out, but you get better, you've made a good investment.

I just sold a well worn Caption to a new couple, fully rigged and bagged but worn, for $500. My advice... paddle the crap out of this boat, do everything, drive it like you rented it. Try things, and get back in and try them again.
If you wreck it in 2 years your cost will be $125 per paddler per year. Strip out the seats, rigging, bags and move on.
Paddle like hades (censored), wear out boats, have fun. :D
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

What a joy to have the Superlite L'Edge. I totally agree with Paul and Willa's posts about the boat. It paddles and carries like a composite boat. I helped Mona outfit hers, as well as outfitting mine. It was a breeze since the saddle, kneepads and sidewalls come glued into the boat. The thigh hooks took minimal shaving to customize. Want to attest to the strength of the plastic. When I drilled the hole for the pass thru outlet for the pump I turned the speed down a little thinking the plastic is thinners why not. The bit would not go through the plastic so I increased speed, reversed directions thinking oops I have it going the wrong way. Checked the sharpness of the bit- all good. The plastic is that tough. We have so many wonderful choices in boats now, and as you know I love supporting all the manufacturers. I had just purchased a Covert 10.5 and a Dropzone but they are too heavy for me to carry and load onto my truck, so the timing of the release of this boat is a Godsend. I will be selling the Dropzone. It is fantastic, but my creeking days will be very limited for now, and it is a hard boat for me to carry with a healing fractured ankle. If interested send me a message. I have two interested buyers of the Dropzone. One is deciding this Sat if he wants it.
Atlas
c

Post by Atlas »

Three months later and this boat is a godsend. Ran my first ever class 4 in it Friday night. and had a great time on the payette a few weeks ago. My concern's of beating it up to much on the rocks have all but vanished. the 4 I went down the other night my friend had actually broken a l'edge on before and it bounced off all the rocks quite well. I'm beyond happy right now.

https://vimeo.com/231165320" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ( short blip of two of the drops from friday)

https://vimeo.com/221086403" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ( beginning of this year.. my first season in a canoe)