Dagger Caper vs. Encore

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

RoyAlex
c

Dagger Caper vs. Encore

Post by RoyAlex »

Hello, there. My main question concerning these two boats regards dryness. I've had the Caper for about a year and have had a lot of fun in it. I can aggressively go for big holes and it only takes on a minimal amount of water. My only complaint about it is the weight. Now I have the opportunity to buy an Encore (for the exact price I paid for the Caper). I tried it out this morning at a local river that had minimal whitewater. But I love the weight, the feel and the nimbleness of it. I'm curious if it will ride a lot wetter than the Caper or if it's comparable. I appreciate any help. Also, the Caper is fully outfitted where the Encore needs quite a bit of work, mainly new gunwales, although the plastic is in nearly identical condition to the Caper - good.
RoyAlex
c

Re: Dagger Caper vs. Encore

Post by RoyAlex »

I'm also considering a Caption, so if anyone wants to weigh in on Caper vs Encore vs Caption, I'd appreciate it.
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

I have not paddled any of them much but know people who have. The Encore would be dryer than a Caper. A caption should be similar in dryness but faster than either of the others. A Caption will also make a good tandem and the others not so much
Roy
C Guru

Post by Roy »

Well, first, how much do you weigh?

Hard to comment about these three boats without a paddler weight.

But, in general, the Caption makes a super dry OC1...but, it is really an OC2 which only does well as a solo if the paddler is real heavy and big. Most will call the Encore fast and plenty dry enough for those who are <200 pounds...it does not spin especially well.

I can't imagine wanting a Caper, if one had access to an Encore and Caption.

Roy
johns
c

Post by johns »

I have a caper and 2 encores (not my first), and once spent 2.5 weeks in a caption on Snake River, Yukon. I'm 5'9", 175, own and have paddled a variety of solo boats (mostly encores and vipers), currently challenged by first ocoee. thoughts
Caption design followed caper, and its is a better boat. fine for solo tripping with load, good solo for big paddler, wetter than caper tandem but more responsive. the caper has run some serious whitewater in other hands (eg, New gorge, lower Gauley), but mostly sits on rack.
encore is a fine solo boat capable of running anything from creeks to big water. long and large by modern standards, but fast, and rocker from center makes it reasonably quick to turn even in tight places. not as deep as many of the shorter boats, and will be wet for big paddler. easy to roll if you are so inclined. better than either caper or caption solo unless you are too big for it, and then I would opt for caption. John
RoyAlex
c

Post by RoyAlex »

Thanks so much for the input. I may feel the need to have all three. My friends and family say I have a problem. Only problem I see is not being on a river.
RoyAlex
c

Post by RoyAlex »

I'm 5'11", 190, and am used to soloing Bluehole OCAs. I purchased the Caption. My wife will be in either the Caper or Caption, and we have 2 young boys that will be paddling with us or paddling their own boat sooner than later, so I think the options of different combinations with these boats will suit us well. Thanks again!
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Interesting discussion!

At 14', and well-rockered, my Caption is a great tandem playboat. I've paddled it solo, under various circumstances, but don't really consider it a solo boat.

The Encore, at 13', is designed as a solo boat. I'm wondering if anyone has converted one to tandem, and if so, would love a review! (I ask, cuz there's one for sale locally!)

Thanks
Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !