foot pegs - or no pegs?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

heavy d
C Boater

foot pegs - or no pegs?

Post by heavy d »

i both c1 and oc1.
i started out c1 and have gotten into oc1 as of late.
in my c1 i just had foot blocks and my ankles rested on them. now in both of my oc1's i have foot pegs, but either i have too large of a foot, or my foam pedestal is too high, or my arse is too fat, because i can't seem to use the foot pegs properly without my butt coming off of the pedestal. its not a flexability thing - im quite flexible for being an old fat man. so, what i have been doing is tucking my toes under the foot pegs and using minicell ankle blocks to make it more comfortable. does anyone do this? i have had a few open boaters suggest i add foam to the pedestal, but id rather not be any higher than i am.
what do you all say?
thanks,
d
Paddle Power
C Maven

Re: foot pegs - or no pegs?

Post by Paddle Power »

I know paddlers who tuck their toes under the foot pegs.

Ankle foam blocks are common enough.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
valhallalongboats
C Guru

Post by valhallalongboats »

Yep.

I can't sit comfortably in the canoe with my feet on the pegs like one would assume you should. I use ankle blocks and tuck my toes under the pegs. Get everything else to fit right and you won't fall out.
Canoeing isn't a sport...its an art. Unfortunately, I am not exactly Michelangelo.
BAD paddle
C Boater

Post by BAD paddle »

An alternative to maybe try: instead of ankle blocks, I've been using shin blocks. Basically taller foam blocks right behind the knee pads. They are sized so that when on the pegs, weight is on my knees and toes. Then when I need a bit of relief, I push my feet to the side of the pegs and relax ankles down/ toes back. This lowers my upper shin onto the shin-pads and takes weight off the knees. Flatter water, weight is on the shins, harder water, I'm more often locked in the pegs. Not exactly what OP may be looking for but for the bulk-head boats (L Edge, Octane 91, Option so far), it has been a unique and very effective rig for getting two good positions w/out adjusting anything but foot position. Half-way through a run it has also helped to move the pegs forward or back a notch to add a bit of variability.
heavy d
C Boater

Post by heavy d »

thanks for the info guys.
im thinking of even altering the foot pegs to make it easier to get my toes under them.
i will also add some mini-cell to make the setup more comfy.
d
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

if its of any help... I've used a hacksaw to cut the bottom 1/3 of the footpeg to be able to slide feet under. sand the corner down, and works well.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Just watch out for hull flex under your feet compared to more rigid foot peg set ups.

Don’t want to squish your toes...
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
heavy d
C Boater

Post by heavy d »

thanks guys - i thought i was being weird by not using the foot pegs, so did most of the open boaters i have paddled with!!!
now i have an upgrade to do to my open boats this weekend by altering the foot pegs!!!
tom - love your videos - have been watching them for years now - pretty much the reason why i got into open boating - you made it look so fun!!!
thanks everyone,
d
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

No foot pegs for me, can't stand them. Ripped them out of my OC1's, raised the back of the saddle until it is at the small of my back and use some high sitting thigh straps with quick release cam buckles, as I do in my C1's. More comfortable for me, more control and more secure fit, too. only drawback it takes me a few seconds longer to get back into my boat.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

I've never used them. My feet lay flat like in a C1.
JKaz......
heavy d
C Boater

Post by heavy d »

thanks for the info guys - i thought i was the only weird one that didn't like them or use them.
i have removed the bottom half of the foot pegs, so i can tuck my toes under them in both of my OC1's now.
take care,
d
keez
C Guru

Post by keez »

I've got damaged feet and can't put the foot-peg on the ball of my foot. Instead of putting my toes under the foot-pegs, where they can get pinched, I put a triangle stopper lined with closed-cell foam in front of the pegs. Gives me something to brace against and keeps the toes intact. I also use ankle blocks.
woodsy
c

Post by woodsy »

I use shin blocks. They support my lower leg and position my feet and ankles for the foot pegs and can also relax my feet outside the pegs. No more foot cramps.
clt_capt
C Guru

Post by clt_capt »

Last time I used foot pegs was the last time I was in a whitewater kayak... That was a long time ago
Dennysdad
c

Post by Dennysdad »

Unless I was missing something over the years I cannot see paddling without them.
Been using them since late 80's perception saddle whitsell piranha.
I adjust them so any flexing on my thigh muscle transfers to the bow.if I try to roll
And I am not tight like that I lose the twist in the boat. I am making this explanation simple
But the pegs make me one with the boat