Looking for OC-1 in CA

Any Boat, Gear, or outdoor related item you have for sale. If you use it on a paddling trip, or to prepare for one, it's fair game.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

valhallalongboats
C Guru

Looking for OC-1 in CA

Post by valhallalongboats »

Hey all,

I'm possibly looking to expand my fleet a bit, and out on the West Coast one has to kinda take what they can get. I'm interested in the following boats...how interested will depend on which boat and how much, of course. I'm in Humboldt County, but may be willing to do some traveling for the right boat at the right price. This is also because a young person has expressed interest in having me teach them to canoe...so its practically my civic responsibility to get another boat. Right?

Dagger Encore: because it'll always be one of my favs, and someday the one I have will wear out.

Sunburst II: because the first canoe I ever owned and learned in was a Sunburst 1, so nostalgia. I can also use it to fish in the bay.

Viper 12: because the name is awesome, and I've always wanted one.

Prodigy X: It'll do I suppose

Outrage X: Speedy speed. I already have one of these, but its on perma-loan, so I wouldn't be against getting another.

Caption: Because duh.

ME (Nostalgia strikes again)

Synergy

The following are boats I would be interested in only if they are the right price...basically, if you're just trying to get it out of your storage space.

Rival

Probe (except 11, that thing was just awful)

Shaman

Outrage

Genesis (as a last resort, lol)

The following are boats I am not interested in unless they are practically free, and I'm just listing them to avoid wasting anyone's valuable time.

Ocoee (Amazing boat, but at 6'5 and 235 I'm just too heavy for it. It makes me almost cry when I paddle it because its almost awesome but never will be for me.)

Repulse/NoPulse/Impulse

Anything designed by Nolan Whitesell (XL 13/14, Piranaha, Descender, etc)

H2Pro

If you have something I didn't list, but want to get rid of, let me know! I especially love odd-ball stuff that I've never paddled, so I'd be keen to give anything a try. I've always wanted to paddle a Perception HD-1.

Thanks for reading!
Canoeing isn't a sport...its an art. Unfortunately, I am not exactly Michelangelo.
riverlover

Re: Looking for OC-1 in CA

Post by riverlover »

I don't have a boat for sale but I live in Chico and I'm looking for someone to canoe with. I have a prodigy and an outrage x. Let me know if you'd like anyone else to boat with.
Alanboc1
C Boater

Post by Alanboc1 »

I would acknowledge that both your height and weight are pushing the reasonable limits of the Ocoee. Among the dozen or so Montana OC1ers that paddle an Ocoee, several are 6'3" or more and one guy is probably over 235lbs. Living in the home state of Montana Canoes, we are almost all paddling Kevlar Ocoees, some weighing under20lbs. Shed 5lbs, buy a FH (Kevlar Ocoee) in a cruising weight (30lbs-ish) versus 48lb+ stock Ocoee and you're there! Light, stiff and amazingly indestructible. I own 2. I use a 6 1/2" saddle, which helps with my 6'3" and weight that fluctuates between 215 and 190-. Other than not feeling as flexible or fit, the 25lb difference doesn't really change the performance that much. You could make it work....
The other pitch I would make is to buy their used Caption (SS). 52lbs versus a stock Dagger crowding 70lbs. I owned a Dagger Caption with Vinyl gunwales. 69lbs. Stripped those off and put on ash and thinner thwarts. Came in at 60lbs. That boat was then sacrificed to become the mold for the SS. I love my new (Caption) that comes in at 48lbs. Anyway, if you can't be convinced to go with an Ocoee, think about that used Caption. I am travelling to Lake Alamanor in May or June. Could transport.
Check out their website. Jeff and John are awesome to work with and passionate about the sport.
valhallalongboats
C Guru

River Lover,

I would certainly be interested in boating. A friend and I are planning some canoe trips when he gets ashore (he's a merchant marine) and we'll most likely be hitting some rivers on the I-5 corridor or the Klamath Basin this spring, depending on what is running. A third person makes shuttle a lot easier! Maybe the Upper Sac, Cottonwood Creek, Trinity as a last resort, the Ikes run on Lower Klamath, maybe even the McCloud if the water is right...or the Scott...its a long drive but the Scott is pretty awesome when its right.

As to simply buying a brand new canoe, I am tempted...ooohhhh so tempted...especially since I have the cash right now, but I'm trying to keep an eye on things and keep my 'new boat expense' to under a grand so I can take a cross-country trip in July, and no offense to MT Canoes whatsoever, but if I was going to buy a new boat it wouldn't be a Caption. It would be a Millbrook Defiant. I forgot to put that boat on my list, so MILLBROOK DEFIANT if anyone has a used one...which they probably don't.

Rob
Canoeing isn't a sport...its an art. Unfortunately, I am not exactly Michelangelo.
valhallalongboats
C Guru

Sorry,

I didn't read your response properly vis-à-vis the Caption. I know MT makes those beauties brand new.
If I'm still looking for a boat when you're headed to Lake Almanor I would certainly be interested in a used Caption!

Thanks!

Rob
Alanboc1
C Boater

Post by Alanboc1 »

Valhallalongboats,
I owned a Millbrook Defiant that I bought new in '99. Shortly after, I bought my first of 4 Ocoees and rarely paddled the Defiant. When I sold it to a guy near Seattle around 2010, it was still in very good condition. I would guess that the guy did not paddle it much. I would not be surprised if he might sell it to you. I just had a sense that he really wasn't going to be an active OCer. I have NO contact info. Don't even remember his first name... He may have some ties to the League of the Northwest Whitewater Racers. You could try contacting Jennie Goldberg who is listed on their website. The guy showed up at the Cedar River race in March of that year and bought the boat.
Have you paddled a Defiant? I would compare it to a Rival or Outrage. Not super exciting but predictable.
Just to be clear on the used Kevlar Caption. MT Canoes has a specific used SS (Caption) on their site right now...
Lime green and black. Good boat. I raced it at the 2016 Nationals, along with countless others who lined up to try it. Though used and slightly abused, Jeff and John refurbished it after that trip and it is good to go.
Good luck finding the right boat.
Alan
valhallalongboats
C Guru

I've never paddled the Defiant, but it just looks like a good boat...not like a cutting-edge race boat, mind you, but I'm not John Kaz, either, so it won't matter a whole lot. To me it always looked a bit like an Encore with sharper edges and a flatter bottom...which is something I'd be into. Thanks for the info, and I'll look into that Defiant.
johnd
C Guru

Post by johnd »

I saw an Outrage X for sale on Bend craigslist, under boats.

https://bend.craigslist.org/boa/d/mad-r ... 96294.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, a friend was selling a Genesis, though that seemed pretty far down on the "wish list".
valhallalongboats
C Guru

johnd wrote:I saw an Outrage X for sale on Bend craigslist, under boats.

https://bend.craigslist.org/boa/d/mad-r ... 96294.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, a friend was selling a Genesis, though that seemed pretty far down on the "wish list".

Just sent him an email! Thanks man!

I don't know if anyone else has any other boats but I'm still looking for more lol.
Carol
C Guru

Post by Carol »

just saw this, are you still looking for an OC1? Have friends in Arcata who are looking to sell a couple.

carol

How about a very experienced, in very good condition, Dagger Dimension? Probably looking to sell one of ours.
valhallalongboats
C Guru

Yeah, still looking for boats. I'm in Eureka.
Let me know what you've got.

Rob