Mohawk Maxim trash?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

MohawkOC1
c

Mohawk Maxim trash?

Post by MohawkOC1 »

Hello all I’m wondering,,,,, why does everyone trash on the Maxim?? I love Mohawk boats especially my Probe. I have a chance to buy a Maxim in near perfect condition but everyone says don’t do it, it’s an awful boat, you’ll constantly swim. I really want to know if this is true or have the few that had one just had bad experience? Any input is welcome even if it’s negative. Would love a non bias honest overview of the boats ability.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Mohawk Maxim trash?

Post by PAC »

Depends on your size and skill sets.... Found that larger paddles >180 and boaters that were not interested in a really playful aggressive platform didnt enjoy it it.
It was okay for me ~190 but newer models are more enjoyable. That said if at a good price and willing to put in the time to dial into it - go for it! A good boat for its time and intent but there is a reason the design has been shelved. My $.01
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Mohawk Maxim trash?

Post by Mike W. »

Ditto on PAC's thoughts. I was only in one for a few minutes a long time ago. It requires more skill than your Probe. Folks who want to just cruise the river will probably not enjoy this boat. I only had a small wave to try it on. I thought it was responsive and would like to try one on a bigger feature.