Learner Boat--Advice most appreciated

Any Boat, Gear, or outdoor related item you have for sale. If you use it on a paddling trip, or to prepare for one, it's fair game.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

nhwi
c

Learner Boat--Advice most appreciated

Post by nhwi »

Hello, I am new to solo WW open canoe--first paddled in 2019. I had a choice between Esquif Zephyr and MadRiver Outrage. I am small (5'4", 133 pd) and not great with upper body strength.

The MadRiver was too big and heavy for me. I have been paddling Zephyr last season--nothing extreme, and still learning. I can balance pretty well... There was a recent mishap with the twin-tex repair... Now I have an opportunity to pick another boat. Some of my seasoned paddler friends recommended Ocoee, and some recommended Ovation. They are very different boats based on the info I get.

Any input in what makes a good "learner boat" in your opinion? Hopefully, I will get to try the Ovation and compare with Zephyr soon. But I have never been in an Ocoee...

Thank you for your time!
Roy
C Guru

Re: Learner Boat--Advice most appreciated

Post by Roy »

My prediction: if the Outrage is too big and heavy...the same will be true for the Ocoee and Ovation. Maybe, more so.

How did you like the stability, spin, and speed of the Zephyr? How do want the new boat to differ from the Zephyr?

Roy
nhwi
c

Post by nhwi »

Hi, I like the Zephyr, except for the twin-tex material--while it makes the boat lighter, patching it up is a doozy. Since my Zephyr is out of commission, my experienced boater friends are giving suggestions on what'd be the next. I think Ovation and Ocoee is quite a bit shorter and lighter than Outrage.
johns
c

Post by johns »

ovation by reputation is slow and you likely will outgrow it quickly as your skills progress. ocoee is a design which has survived for decades in royalex and other materials for good reason. It will test you as a beginner, but as you progress will take you anywhere you want to go. I have a Bell version with a pedestal and double thigh straps which is very light even compared to old Dagger ocoee, and much lighter than encore and mohawk viper 12 I am most accustomed to paddling. a viper 11 might be another good choice. good luck in finding any of them. John
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

I have had the Zephyr and the Ocoee. Get the Ocoee if it is in good shape. It paddle2 very similar to the Zephyr.
nhwi
c

Post by nhwi »

Wendy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:16 am I have had the Zephyr and the Ocoee. Get the Ocoee if it is in good shape. It paddle2 very similar to the Zephyr.
Thank you, Wendy!I am keeping my eyes open for an Ocoee.
nhwi
c

Post by nhwi »

johns wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:09 am ovation by reputation is slow and you likely will outgrow it quickly as your skills progress. ocoee is a design which has survived for decades in royalex and other materials for good reason. It will test you as a beginner, but as you progress will take you anywhere you want to go. I have a Bell version with a pedestal and double thigh straps which is very light even compared to old Dagger ocoee, and much lighter than encore and mohawk viper 12 I am most accustomed to paddling. a viper 11 might be another good choice. good luck in finding any of them. John
Thank you so much for your input! I really appreciate it. Will keep an eye out for Ocoee.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Sounds like these boats would fit your criteria.
Viper 11
Ocoee
L'EDGE SUPERLITE
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

The L’Edge Superlite will be much easier to paddle and carry for your height and weight.