Wheelboy outfitting

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

Matt,
Thanks. I'm going to order a Drakkar skirt, just in case. Hope you're enjoying the Finkenmeister.
SYOTR,
Bruce
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

good move bruce-
the play boater skirts from drakkar are a perfect fit and are very very dry.
Larry
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

Wheelboy Outfitting

Post by billcanoes »

Okay,
We picked up the boats today and had a slight delay. Back to Charlotte/My house just after 5-

Got two boats sent and one departing 08:00 tomorrow.

Finished packing the boat at 10:00- And started outfitting My wheelboy and the demo wheelboy.

It's 2 on the nose. Anyway, I added some slight foam height to my boat, I'm used to a 9" saddle, a knee shim, and an ankle support and a lapbelt.

The demo boat only got velcro thigh straps- they are a little long with 2' d rings.

Anyway here are pics for those who may be interested.
http://groups.msn.com/BillCanoes/wheelb ... ?Page=Last
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

Outfitting.

Post by billcanoes »

I installed my lapbelt WAY too low. I wasn't sure how I would do with my roll, so I was very conservative with the outfitting. Unfortunately, I was too conservative. Didn't want anyone else to make that mistake based on my photo.

Also, I only wanted to drill one larger hole into the saddle. I found it easieast to install the bolts by attaching them to my finger with a rubber band. However, I'm going to add thigh straps to my boat, and do a bolt on each side on this one.

Also, I'm planning on leaving the saddle height intact on the demo boat- Its more comfortable higher but slightly less stable.

Bill
Berkshire Jack
Pain Boater

Bulkhead in the Wheelboy

Post by Berkshire Jack »

Boise Bob,
I just got my Wheelboy this evening and am excited to get it into action. :D I converted a Dagger Redline into a C1 with a bulkhead and it worked out really well. I stay tight but can exit real easy. I am interested in seeing how the bulkhead looks and fits in your Wheelboy. Would it be possible either to post a photo or two to a site and give a link so we could all have a look? Or if you already emailed Bill Heap some photos, ask him to upload them to his Wheelboy photo site? Or just email me a photo or two?
It would be much appreciated.

Jack

jackg234@aol.com
C1 Junior
c

hip pads

Post by C1 Junior »

has anyone put hip pads in yet?

the green boat in the pictures, did you drill the holes in the deck to hold the straps or were they already there?
Berkshire Jack
Pain Boater

Hip Pads

Post by Berkshire Jack »

C1 Junior,
In trying the boat out on the cellar floor last night, there was only about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch clearance between the side of the cockpit and each of my hips. Hardly enough to warrant hip pads. I am going to paddle it a bit without the pads to test it out, but in the end knowing myself and how I like things tight, I will probably glue in a bit of foam to take up that clearance.
The holes for the upper attachment points for the thigh straps have to be drilled after you get the boat. The factory does not drill them.
I am going to be traveling for a week plus and will not be able to do any outfitting or get it in the water for at least two weeks. So my river reviews will be delayed till then. :cry:
Pawel Szydlowski

Post by Pawel Szydlowski »

A word from a manufacturer here: sorry guys, but you have to install thigh straps, etc yourselves. These are the safety regulations: we cannot provide you with a boat with these installed. Dura lex sed lex :) However, judging on your posts, industrious guys like yourselves shouldn't find that much of a problem, should they?

Any reviews and suggestions are welcome: we won't be able to improve without your feedback. Thanks in advance.
Yours,
Drakkar staff
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

That green boat's outfitting is sweet. All Bill did was drill some upper and lower attachment points and pop in a set of padded Northwater straps. Very solid and easily adjusted. The skirts from Drakkar are perfect.
C1-Dom
c

Wheelboy inside cockpit rim

Post by C1-Dom »

Wondering.

The inside cockpit rim of the WB is pretty sharp on the old shoulder after a long hike in to your favourite playspot or river run.

Marko, is it worth on the finished boat before leaving the factory, using some kind of automobile style door trim to smooth off this edge?

Just a thought

Dom.
C1-Dom
c

ref. C1 junior query........

Post by C1-Dom »

Ref. C1 Juniors query on drilling WB's.....

.......I drilled holes and have not fitted hip pads, personally not sure I need them as its a pretty comfy small cockpit

As far as I am aware, legally, all WB's come totally unfitted, thereore undrilled.

Keen to know if you ended up getting a WB and how's its going if you did.

I am so impressed with this little beast. Hurley never been such fun now that so much more is possible. Just waiting for some sun to get some nice pics of WB for Marko....it was raining stair-rods last Friday I tried to and the sky black!!!!

Dom.
C1 Junior
c

gettin it soon!

Post by C1 Junior »

Im going to collect it from tryweryn may bank holiday.
if i can figure out what outfitting needs to be done, i may be able to do it and paddle it there yay!

would someone who has the boat be able to measure the distance between a suitable place to put a bolt through the deck so it is vertical and is sat flat on top of the boat please. the picture has the possition of the holes rougthly where i think i will put them.

[img]http://www.unsponsored.co.uk/copper/alb ... 06/wb1.jpg[/img]

Cheers
Alex Nixon
C1-Dom
c

Post by C1-Dom »

I'll try and get some measurements for you tomorrow evening.

Just one question. Why do you want 2 bolt holes to secure the webbing under the rim? In my experience one hole per strap reinforced with a large disc washer both sides of strap and boat is perfectly adequate.

You will find you can move those holes a tiny bit closer in to the underside of the rim too and it wont impinge on the spraydeck shock cord at all. Its quite a high rim.

Less holes the better in the hull. 2 is overkill

Just a suggestion

Regards

Dom.
C1-Dom
c

Post by C1-Dom »

Another thought.

Fitting job could be done with a cordless drill on site at CT but fitting the straps to the central carbon/kevlar seat base will be your biggest challenge.

I needed a small (i.e. 1.5 inch) circular hole cutting saw tool to enable creating a finger access point immediately in front of the seat, to access the bolts that hold the floor mounted strap ends.

Also drilling the side holes to receive the floor mounted straps with the seat unit in situ is tricky, as there isn't enough room to fit a drill sideways. I drilled mine by hand using a sharpened screwdriver end. Sounds crude but worked very well. failing that take the whole seat unit out I guess!

I think you will be best with a work bench handy and some tools rather than riverside and desperate to get on for a play.

Dom.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Wheelboy outfitting

Post by Sir Adam »

What I found worked best (and produced a "neat" final product) was removing the seat to drill through the carbon. It really didn't take that long, and was instructive as to how everything was put together.

Regarding placement of the upper connection of the thigh straps, I used a single bolt with a big stainless steel washer (and rubber washer underneath) and drilled through the "flat spot" viewable in the image a few posts back that is just behind where that boat is drilled through. This gave the washers a good place to "seat", and as the boat is curved around the raised flat spot it is fairly stiff (also it doesn't interfere with the fitting of a skirt at all).
Keep the C!
Adam