filler for foam core of Royalex?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I think I'd try something like Roy suggested - just clean it up and lay down some Royalex repair putty.

I'd mix a batch of 3M urethane adhesive and add a little too much of the soft part (white). Or , from the flipside, a little less hardener (brown). If the mix is too brown, it can be pretty rigid, but if it's light, it cures to be flexible & spongy.

P.
Rumplestiltskin
C Boater

Post by Rumplestiltskin »

All you really need to do is patch the tear/rip/crack in your boat. This kind of repair has been done many times over the last thirty years, so there is no need to reinvent the wheel to have a serviceable boat. Just remember that any repair will be heavier, stiffer, and weaker than a fresh, intact ABS hull just out of the manufacturer’s mold.

Use epoxy resin and the cloth of your choice. I like glass and nylon laminate for ABS repairs. Others think the world of Kevlar. Mohawk has a good webpage about the repair procedure:

https://www.mohawkcanoes.com/care.htm

Easy Rider’s website (http://www.easyriderkayaks.com/royalex_canoes.htm) says Royalex is an "ABS closed-cell foam" between ABS and cross-linked vinyl outer layers.

I don't know if that is correct, but since you can't really “fuse all these layers together by vulcanization” without special equipment in your backyard, you might just as well lay-up a cloth and resin patch.

Who knows? You might get another couple of years out of your old ABS hull.

BTW, if the old-fashioned cloth/resin patch is big enough, the usual problem of firmly attaching anchor pads to ABS will be solved. Glassed-in anchor straps adhere to a glass and nylon laminate much more easily than trying to get those vinyl D-ring pads to stick to ABS!