River runners, Can anybody compare a Slasher to an Atom?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TommyC1
C Guru

River runners, Can anybody compare a Slasher to an Atom?

Post by TommyC1 »

I've been paddling a Slasher on and off for a few years and like it pretty well.
Being a boater of limited talent I find my self going back to my trusty Outrage for harder runs(N.E. III+). Problem with that is the #!!*$ hole in the top of the boat keeps letting the water in.
I keep meaning to borrow somebody's Atom to see if that is perhaps a little friendlier than the Slasher but haven't managed.
What I like about the Outrage is it's forgiving nature, it's (relative) speed and carvability and it's surf addiction.
I like the Slasher because it's lighter, quicker and carves harder. But those edges do trip me up when things get pushy or I get tired.
Any thoughts on where the Atom would fall?
Any suggestions on other plastic C's I should consider?
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I think the Atom turns easier, surfs better, runs slower (length and rocker). I think it is heavier, too. However, when it comes to edges, I think they are very similarly edgy.

How much do you weigh? I'm over 200# and think this colors my opinion. The Atom *looks* like it should be less edgy to me, but it paddles *as* edgy for me - I think a lighter paddler would float it higher and reduce that.

Your open boat is a "not-edgy" boat - have you considered getting an edgy open boat ? I transitioned from a round hull OC-1, to an edgy OC-1 to a Slasher; for a long time my edgy OC-1 was still my "go to boat" after starting on the Slasher, though by then I'd been hooked on the edge... Now I have rediscovered the round hull and appreciate that again (creek boat, tandem with kids).

Or, have you considered a round hull C-1? A Cascade would feel more similar to your Outrage.
TommyC1
C Guru

Thanks

Post by TommyC1 »

Thanks Scott,
I'm not a fan of the Cascade, too slow and mushy.
Sounds like I should stick with the Slasher... and maybe put a deck on the Outrage :lol:
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Or...

Post by Sir Adam »

Nope, TommyT, what you need is a glass boat:) I'd recommend a Viper to be exact-full cut and you'll be zipping in and out of turns fast than a slasher, but with MUCH more controllable stern edges.

At my weight (160 lbs) I find the slasher rather annoying-I can't really sink the stern to do a pivot turn (aka stern squirt), but it's just low and edgy enough to "catch" on eddy lines and the like and keep my life exciting :roll: . I do not have this problem in the Atom, however. I think it does occur when you get up to SBroams weight range, though.

So, depending on how much you weigh the Atom may be an option. If you're every over towards the Hudson let me know-you're welcome to try out any of the fleet (as is anyone).

Other than the Viper I'd also recommending checking out the Hornet (narrowed cascade with MUCH nicer characteristics for general paddling), and although I have yet to paddle (or purchase :wink: one,) the Amoeba.
Keep the C!
Adam
TommyC1
C Guru

Glass..gulp!

Post by TommyC1 »

Yeah well I got this whatcha callit.. geological attraction. Kinda makes me think that plastic is more my speed. Keepin the boat to the grindstone and all that.
At 190 I'd guess I'm closer to Scott than Adam. Might have to try an Atom if I can.
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

Where are you paddling this weekend Tom? I have both the Viper and the Atom that you could try. Sunday I will be taking my 12 year old daughter with me. We will C-2 or find some easy class I for C1 practice.

Jim Kelly-Rand

I think you have my email address.
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

glass

Post by chuck naill »

Sir Adam,

Tell me about your glass fleet and what you like about them. I just found an old Noah glass boat and built a minicel pedistal and bulkhead system.

I was on the Ocoee yesteday and thought that while there were sections that I would like to use a glass boat, there were some pretty boney places that could cause some repair opportunities on Mondays. :roll:

I was using my converted GTX and getting stern squirted again until I figured out that the thigh straps were preventing my from slidding forward enough. It would be nice to get a boat meant to be a c-1. Belive it or not, the GTX is that temperamental. 8)

FYI, I found an old Hydra c-1, crosslink plastic, brand new, without the outfitting for $25. If anyone has an interest, let me know :)

Chuck
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Ahhh glass...

Post by Sir Adam »

IMhO, if you're not running super sharp, rocky rivers, or steep creeks where you're going to bounce off rocks constantly, you should be in glass. Performance-wise there just isn't a comparison. Glass boats are lighter, faster, smoother in the water, and easier to outfit and repair.

Boat repair is NOT that difficult, and if you aim for the water and not the rocks you won't necessarily be doing a lot of it. Glass boats are TOUGH, and (again IMhO), as Kaz might agree, a composite (glass) boat that weighs the same as a plastic boat would actually be MORE durable than plastic. BUT, for the most part, most of us DO NOT need all that extra weight! Most of my boats weight 20-30 lbs (glass, depending on layup), while the few plastic ones in the fleet are all over 40 (some WELL over 40 lbs...). (note: these are outfitted weights...).

Most small repairs (and re-seamings when I acquire boats..as that seems a common reason folks give me boats :wink: ) are pretty simple, and can be accomplished with just a few tools. I keep plenty of WEST systems epoxy (that a I get via John Sweet, link on the home page...) on hand. Super-simple to mix (equal pumps from the two containers..works great! Pumps are just different sizes), easy to work with (in a well-ventilated area...watch those brain cells!), especially when you lay up patches on saran wrap and then past THAT on to the boat. Keeps a nice finish to 8) . (Saran wrap peels right off later).

Have a blast with your glass boat:). If it's been kept out of the sun it'll have many good years left (I have some boats older than I...try finding a non-soft 30 year old + plastic boat around (ok, so the plastic wasn't quite as good back then to begin with...and plastic boats have really only been in-force on the water for a bit over 20 years)). If you're boat is faded and delaminating, have fun while it lasts :D .
Keep the C!
Adam
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

follow up to Sir Adam

Post by chuck naill »

Thanks for the advise on glass. I used to use fiberglass to repair the grunch pads on a canoe so I knew the drill with Saran Wrap. :)

This old boat seems pretty well taken care of. THere were no tears, but I put some cloth and resin on the ends as preventive measures. I plan to get it on a river this week. :wink:

Chuck/East Tennessee