Is the Taureau a planning hull or displacement???

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

chris mack

Is the Taureau a planning hull or displacement???

Post by chris mack »

Any thoughts?
Randy Dodson
C Guru

Post by Randy Dodson »

Looks like a planing hull but with full volume ends kinda like a Quake.

Will probably be my next boat.
Parrot Head Paddler
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

The Taureau hull actually looks very similar to the Spanish fly hull, similar length, width and general shape, the deck is however totally different, way more volume in the ends and much longer decks.

Haven't paddled it yet though, those are just visual observations.

martin a.k.a. The Great Gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
TommyC1
C Guru

Post by TommyC1 »

Dunno what defines the differences but the Taureau surfs and spins more like my Foreplay than my Outrage. The nice thing is that it stays upright more like my Outrage than my Foreplay.
Wish it was a C!

Tommy
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

It looks decked and skirted from here :

http://www.holeriders.com/gat05/slides/ ... -0194.html

That isn't how it is advertised and is probably a prototype. But I wonder what it would take to get one shipped like that...
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Scott, I saw the boat Marc Scriver paddles on this picture at the Gatineau as well as at the Gull river, and no, it is not skirted. There is a small almost square opening in the center of the boat that has no rim to attach a skirt on. I think it might be hard do make a proper rim for a skirt with vacuumforming, the manufacturing process Esquif uses.
The boat on this picture is actually if not a production boat at the least a preproduction boat that is identical.

martin a.k.a. The Great Gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
TommyC1
C Guru

Post by TommyC1 »

The pictures on the Esquif site show a tall coaming (rim) which I assume is to help it stay dry.
The prototype that I paddled had no coaming at all. The opening was not too much larger than a keyhole cockpit.
I was wondering how hard it would be to build a bolt-on coaming for use with a skirt?
Custom aftermarket Taureau parts?

Tommy
Helly
C Guru

taureau

Post by Helly »

Does anyone know how tall of a seat one can get away with in the Taureau?

I've been wanting to get into a C1, but I can't tolerate the 7 inch seating or less that is in most boats......I'm wondering if a canoe like this would be any different?
Louie

Anyone in the East Tennessee area that want to paddle one

Post by Louie »

can use mine. Driest open boat I've ever paddled, goin back to the OCA. No rim for a dress ( thank God ), I mean skirt. Boof like crazy, fast to be so short, dam stable ( unless you drop in Phil hole sideways). Love it on the Treemont, Rocky broad, Cheoah, and it is fast enought to where on big water you can still make it to the dry lines, it was great on the Gauley.
LEW
C Guru

Post by LEW »

I spent an afternoon in the prototype Tareau that Dave N. has. It was most likely the same boat that Tommy T. tried.
The saddle was very high, pretty much the same as a typical open boat I think.
It is definitely a planing hull and it surfs and spins very easily. The release chines keep it so loose that carving back and forth on a wave seemed almost effortless. I didn't fit the outfitting very well so I was quite bow heavy. If I had fit , I'm sure it would have done even better on the big waves on the Sac.
The boat I paddled had no cockpit rim either. Without any lip around the cockpit, water that made it over the deck went into the boat. Not really a big deal though, since the cockpit opening is pretty small and there is not much room in the boat for water anyway.
I still don't know why anyone would want to put a skirt on this type of boat anyway?
LEW
Randy Dodson
C Guru

Post by Randy Dodson »

Is the factory outfitting straps or bulkhead like a Spanish Fly?
Parrot Head Paddler
Louie

It is foam with no straps

Post by Louie »

I didn't care for it in other boats but really seems to be the thing in this boat.
ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

I paddled Louie's some on the Ocoee and

Post by ChrisKelly »

thouhgt it had a nice smooth roll. Chris Kelly
keez
C Guru

Post by keez »

does anyone know where you can demo one in SW Ont?
Geoff
SlovenOC'er
Pain Boater

Taureau

Post by SlovenOC'er »

My limited personal experience... It is a planing hull, spins effortlessly. Small cockpit, little room for water entry. Effortless roll. I would have ended up trimming about an inch off each side of the rim to faciliate entry and exit from the boat. Foam bulkhead with thigh tunnels. With a 36" inseam my legs were too long to use the footbraces factory installed, Had to remove. Stock saddle was about 8" high. Unless you love big air endos and have a popping feature(s) to do them at, there are better boat choices for vertical moves. If you're looking for a dry creeker that you can also tear up a surfing wave with, give this boat a serious look. If I was under 200 lbs, the Taureau would have come home with me.

Slov