Your Opinions about a Dagger Atom

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Your Opinions about a Dagger Atom

Post by chuck naill »

I might be purchasing a Dagger Atom. :D

If you have opinions and don't care to share them ( yet right) :o please drop me a line or two. Good and bad comments are helpful 8)

Thanks,

Chuck /Tennessee
Louie

I've got one you caqn test drive

Post by Louie »

It is not for all river application , even Andy Bridge who designed it wouldn't use it on the harder creeks, he would take his Cascade.
TommyC1
C Guru

Compared to a Slasher

Post by TommyC1 »

The Atom is a little bit slower and a little bit steadier than a Slasher.

Tommy
Martyn
Pain Boater

Post by Martyn »

The Atom isn't a bad boat but I don't think its a great boat either. As a river runner, its OK but if you want something to play with, you could probably pick up an EZ for about the same price and have a lot more fun.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

If I could have only one C-1, the Atom might be it. However, in any particular category there are choices I prefer over the Atom.

I've always been hesitant to criticize the Atom, though, because it looked so appealing and for so long it was the only plastic boat going... Didn't want to seem ungrateful or anything :-?

All that said, if I found one cheap, I'd probably pick one up.
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

the other boat

Post by chuck naill »

Thanks for the replies. I knew the reviews would be mixed. I have a converted GTX as the other boat. THe GTX gets thrown around alot in bigger water. I could use some speed in this kind of water.

I would like to find a Cascade that is not cracked, but after this many years out from production, that is not going to happen unless there is a little ole paddler out there who only used it on Sunday afternoons....well you know the rest.

For me the boat offers some stability and speed advantages to what I have in the GTX.

Thanks,

Chuck
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Cascades...

Post by Sir Adam »

There have been a few cascades that I've seen pop up in the NE this year in fine shape. I *think* I know of one that's still around too, but the fellow hasn't been in it, or around here for a long time. it's a heavey beast though ("double" layup hull, with 50% more plastic in it from the factory...). Built specifically for safety boating the Black in upstate NY...annoying chert, etc....
Keep the C!
Adam
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Cascade..

Post by PAC »

Chuck
Keep the faith there are Cascades out there that are in good condition. I just picked one up (was orginally mine over 10 years ago - swapped for skis).
I also remeber think there is another one floating about these parts (sorry for the bad pun) that is in good condition. If your interested I can let you know if it surfaces (pun-tagous!). Just let me know.
Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Thanks

Post by chuck naill »

Dear PAC,

Yes, let me know about any Cascades. I got an email today from a person wishing to sell one. :D
I know the the first ones, cross link, had a problem with splitting around cock pit rim. :oops:

Chuck 8)
CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Post by CosmikDebris »

Mine is split on the cockpit rim, and seems to develop a new crack about every time I paddle it these days....I'd say her days are limited :(
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

cracked cockpit

Post by chuck naill »

Will,

Those first Cascades were made out of crosslink. Dagger actually gave new boats minus the pedistal when boats were under warrentee. :o

I thought that I had found one in your home state. Joe and I went to check out this Cascade and I was really excited. This boat was cracked like yours and the owner was totally unaware. :cry:

Chuck/Knoxville
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Dagger Cascade C1

Post by Mike W. »

A Cascade was posted on the Coastals board this morning. I do not know the seller or anything about the boat. Just thought I'd pass it along.

Cascade C1 in good condition, includes used skirt. $350
http://board.coastals.org/viewtopic.php?t=1637
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

Hello Chuck,

The Atom is a well designed C1 that will perform better than 90% of the conversions out there when paddled on Class 3/4 rivers. It is a river runner and a good surfer. It ferries well, catches eddies like a dream, is stable and well set up inside to allow optimal control of your C1 :D . I sold mine, tried some conversions and now am sorry :cry: . If you can get your hands on one, you will be paddling one of the best plastic C1's ever launched.

SYOTR,

Bruce
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Thanks Bruce

Post by chuck naill »

I am traveling tomorrow to most likely get an Atom. I really think like Bruce that it is a very good boat for paddling most of the stuff I like. 8)

I can use the GTX for creeks and the two slalom boats for whatever. :wink:

As an aside, the old Noah Kevlar boat is lots of fun and it gets some nice comments from the older slalom guys. Like most of the slalom boats of that era, it is not easy to turn. One boater commented that I was paddling an antique. He was also surprised that it was only 11 feet long. It is still the mystery boat that has no name, but the trade marks on both ends say it is a Noah. :roll:
cnoble
c

Post by cnoble »

Chuck,

Since you are in the Knoxville area I am assuming you float, or haul butt, down steep creeks. It would be a good idea to consider the boat volumes between what you are used to and what you will be getting into.

Clay