outfitting disaster, glue tips?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

by James
So I had all these fancy, super hard to fit bits of foam to set up my new C1 last night. No problem I thought, just a little stressful when putting everything together to make sure it is lined up before the contact cement sticks.

But no. For some unknown reason I switched over to a gel contact cement, and when it came to assembly, the pieces wouldn't stick together. Major disaster! Hopefully it will hold well enough. Where did I go wrong? Anyone ever use this stuff before?

James

PS if you see me on the river, please help me gather up all of the loose foam that will be floating free of my boat...
Posted on May 29, 2002, 5:29 AM

Hmmm
by Sir Adam
Greetings...

First off, you let each side cure first, then stuck them together, right? (or does gel contact cement work differently? I haven't used the stuff...).

If gel contact cement just doesn't work on foam, please post the brand / type so the rest of us can avoid the stuff! I personally stick with the super- flammable DAP or Weldwood contact cement (if it's got a big flammability warning, it's the correct stuff). It works!

Good luck, and I'll watch for bits of foam:)

C-ya IN the Rivah!
Sir Adam
Posted on May 29, 2002, 6:47 AM

Works for me
by Scott B.
I use the Weldwood Gel, I find it easy to smear on with a scrap of minicell and see where you're putting it. Let both sides dry completely before sticking them together, just like with the "normal" contact cement and it should work fine. You do NOT want to stick wet pieces together - I don't think they will ever form a bond, if they do, don't depend on it. If you did, pull the pieces apart and either remove as much of the residue as you can and start over. You can reglue pieces where there is previously dried glue, but it will not stick as well.

Also, don't use contact cement for anything that will have much tension on it. I tried early to use it to anchor thigh straps...

Scott

Posted on May 29, 2002, 7:09 AM

went wrong somewhere...
by James
I think it was the wedgewood premium gel. I put it on both sides, let it dry for about 45 minutes, and then it wasn't sticky at all between the two pieces. I then got slightly better results only allowing it to dry for about 8 minutes, but still disappointed. Any more tips? more time, less time?

Side note, I have a seatbelt from an airplane, should be sooooo good as a lapbelt. At least some things are coming together.
Posted on May 29, 2002, 7:56 AM

Coats...
by Sir Adam
How many coats of gel did you put on? I usually use 1 to "seal" the foam so to speak, then another coat over the top (or two for neoprene foam) for adhesion. I'm assuming the gel would work the same way.... What type of foam are you using? (Minicell, ethafoam, etc...)

Good luck!
Sir Adam
Posted on May 29, 2002, 8:12 AM

Gel's thicker
by Scott
The gel is thicker and I've had better luck with using just one coat of gel than with just one coat of the thinner stuff - I think it "seals" and sticks with the one coat a little better. All the same, I use two coats when gluing something with the gel that really matters. I only have to let the two sides dry for about 10 minutes, but that is in warm and sunny SC.

Scott
Posted on May 29, 2002, 10:08 AM

Weldwood Gel
by DaveM
Scott, like you I have been using the Gel for a couple of years now and now I prefer it to the non-gel contact cement. I'm pretty sure my can is Weldwood. I buy it in the quart container....DM
Posted on May 30, 2002, 5:41 AM

whoops, glue disaster overrated, gel not bad
by James
Tried my new C1 last night. The paddle I seriously cracked in the first 5 minutes kept me distracted from the outfitting and glue problems. In retrospect, the gel was pretty easy to work with, I think a drying time of approximately 10 minutes is all I should have used. Oh, you live and learn.
Posted on May 30, 2002, 7:20 AM
Keep the C!
Adam