Does anyone want to have a open boat rodeo at the nationals?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Dooley... I think it could be pulled off but it's an artificial course #1, so the water will be turned on and off by someone. Paddlers will be practicing and we wouldn't want to get in their way in the potentially limited time frame. It would be my suggestion to talk to the organizers well ahead of time and see if we can get an hour either at lunch or at the end of the day... have our fun and go from there. Is there going to be a freestyle worthy hole??? As long as we don't make it a burden to the organizers I don't think there would be much to complain about.
Alden
CBoats Addict

boating

Post by Alden »

hey guys,

I would say: let's just make sure that Charlotte has a good playhole or wave or two before scheduling anything very seriously.

Also, if the Charlotte course is based on the one in Athens (or even the one in Penrith) it is going to be some big water for sure - is that going to be a problem for open boat turnout or cause lots of frustration and swims/terror for folks? Not that I do not think people have the skills, but I do not think many people - especially the OC-2 teams - have much experience on real big water. Holding an open boat race at say Dickerson would mean tons of carnage for even many singles boats. And my guess is that Charlotte will be bigger than Dickerson.

I am all for making the Nationals hard, but just wanted to throw that out there.

Alden
grinner
Pain Boater

Post by grinner »

CosmikDebris wrote:Grinner,
Put a post on Boatertalk.com looking for Gary Mullins...he may even be on here. He could probably hook you up. I'm not sure what his email is or I'd give it to you...
Will
I cant log in because i dont know how to register.
I will put a post up on here see if he sees it.

thanks
paddling a flooded canoe is easy. stopping is easy as long as you have some kayaks to help you stop.
Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

I've never heard of an artifical course that didn't have great play spots so I doubt that will be much of an issue. I like your idea Craig, let's try to get an hour or two for play. (who do I need to contact?)

Also, I'd say this guy above is correct it will probably some big stuff.

What is too hard by the way? (I've never been to nationals) Could they have one on the olympic course at the ocoee, or would that be too hard?
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Talk to Foti... he's the course designer (for gate placement) and he is your Southeastern OCSlalomRules rep... and a potential competitor! He should know who to get in touch with.

If the course is like Aus. paddling it isn't too bad.... dumping water out and getting on shore are another story. The conveyor belt is gonna' put a smile on your face.
Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

send me foti's e-mail & I'll get in touch with him

Are you coming down to run any creeks this winter or spring?
Louie

I've been to Dickerson

Post by Louie »

I din't see any thing I thought was harder than Hells hole and there dam sure ain't anything harder than Slice & Dice and the Rodeo use to be there.
NEOC Slalom Rules
C Guru

Post by NEOC Slalom Rules »

Now, I'll throw my two cents in, since Craig mentioned the conveyor. I'm hoping that for the Combined that we can have a multi lap race(say 5 laps), with a staggered start to promote lots of good ol boy style racing (let me by or I'll let myself by). With some REC boats likely to fill on each lap it could get real interesting. And we'd have to have lap counters like in NASCAR. Since its in N. Carolina, this should all fit in well. Again it depends on the management of the place. If they're using the easy loop for the paying public at the same time, it probably wouldn't happen. But one can hope!

My two cents
Pat
Open Boat/Open Mind