Any info on outfitting polylink ??

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Daf
c

Any info on outfitting polylink ??

Post by Daf »

Anyone have experience with fastening d rings for thigh straps to polylink boats. According to Old Town the "polarizing process" which is basically heating before applying there adhesive really works. My success with trying to glue things to plastic boats has been not very good. Have others tried to outfit plastic boats. What I am thinking of i\s outfitting an Old Town Scout or a plastic prospector style boat as a utility bang around whitewater tripper for teaching my kids in.
Who has had positive experiences with this?
Daf
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

I have an Old town Discovery Scout as well as WW tripping boat, and installing D-ring patches is a pain at best.
They seem to come off after a while (~every 2 years with moderate use), and then the glue needs to be sanded off the hull and the patch reglued. I have done the "polarizing process" prior to installing the D-rings.
I also experimented with lots of different glues, Loctite Maximum Strength Headliner Adhesive (#37312) seems to work best on plastics.In Canada it's available at Brafasco for ~Can$15 per spray can.

Hope this helps!

martin a.k.a. The Great Gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Super Goo Glue

Post by chuck naill »

I have an Blue Hole (Original Sunbright, Tennessee version) that repeated replacement of d rings left the interior vinyl pulled away. Reluctant to use more of that adhesive, I looked around for a water proof glue and found Shoe Goo brand glue. I actually cut away the vinyl part of the d ring and glued two (one for emergencies) of the nylon squares side by side. The glue takes time to cure, about one week. :wink:

Please be careful about using any solvent. I got a Discovery Old Town and used a solvent back in '84. Old Town gave me a grunch kit due to the outfitter advising me incorrectly. :oops:

CHuck 8)