HELP OC1 Saddle height..!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Col
Pain Boater

HELP OC1 Saddle height..!

Post by Col »

Hi,

I need some help with determining the best height for my saddle in in my Pyrahna Spanish fly. I have everything i the boat sorted from straps to hip pads and so on but the saddle height is causing me some problems.

It is currently at 11" high, which is the height it was when i got it. I have heard about 8" would be a good starting point can anyone tell me what a good height for it is, i plan on using it for Freestyle and Creeking.
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

seat height

Post by chuck naill »

I had a SF and left the seat at factory height. I am 5'9".

I am wondering if you are asking because you are having trouble rolling the boat. Some have cut holes in the minicell below the seat to allow the water to flow back and forth. THis is supposed to faciliate rolling.

C
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

if any of my boats were stable enough to have an eleven inch saddle i would so happy, and my legs would be much happier that i was a boater then they are now.
mine are all about 6 inches. my oc is 8
cheers
-isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
grinner
Pain Boater

Post by grinner »

The saddle height of my skeeter is 9" and its nice at that height. Not too high but not too low. Just shave bits off and see what works. Dont shave too much off though.
paddling a flooded canoe is easy. stopping is easy as long as you have some kayaks to help you stop.
ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

Saddle height

Post by ChrisKelly »

The general principle is that the lower the saddle is the lower one's center of gravity will be. Consequently, the more stable the boat will be. I strive to have my saddles as low as I can reasonably bear them, usually in the 7 inch range.
On the other hand there may be some reasons why paddlers better then me might prefer to trade the stability for the grerater reach that a higher saddle might provide. Maybe a racer or a good playboater can answer that question.
If I were in a boat with an 11 inch saddle I'd be in the water all the time. Chris Kelly