Comments from disgruntled river rat

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Post by CosmikDebris »

Hey Alden and Jay, I have friday's off too. If the BW's run at all anytime soon on a weekend let me know (I'll keep my eye on it) cause I really want to come up there and boat. dam, 3 Cboats on one run at one time, we could have our own class!
will
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

Wow

Post by Longboatin »

Jeez, cant a guy fergit to take his medication? Even the disclaimer didn't prevent some angry lovin from some of youse.

PAC let's definitely get together on one of those runs, if Indian can see itself to about 3.5, its gonna be longboat all the way. I've never caught upper jacobs running, so i would be into that as well. Last year, we caught the lower part of jacobs, at a pretty flooded level, the waves are freakin somethin, there were at least 10 glassy 4ftrs. I never thought would be on such a small creek.

TommyT at the risk of soundin trite. Get in the boat, and paddle it down the river, it will show you what you need to do. If you want to experience a boat that has the performance potential of a ferrari, and the capacity and comfort of a conversion van, then the longboat is the way to go. For those errant miles of flatwater that can grace an otherwise rapidly beautiful day, nothin beats a long boat. Nothin i have ever paddled on whitewater is faster, I am addicted to speed. By placing an edge just so, a longboat will accelerate without a stroke. its definitely connected boating. Try it.

Smerd I admit I am partial to function, and to me newer and moving forward doesn't necessarily (notice c) mean better or smarter. New products really only happen because companies want to make money, and i am tired of the corporate image crap, the latest boat will not make anyone a better boater. Really it seems that most times, ideas just repeat themselves but are packaged as new. I cant wait to see the first c conversion of a sit-on-top, a craft that really reminds me of probably the first craft ever, a log. Look, a new and improved plastic log. Nice.

i guess paddling is sort of a zen moment for me, as it certainly is for most, but i like to take that zen minimalism to all aspects of boating, only tweaking what is absolutely necessary. Example, i have posted here before about bentshafts. Seems few people use them, though there is a pocket of serious bent-shaft use in State College. Anyway, if the forward stroke is of utmost importance, as suggested in the technique section, then the obvious action to me would be to use a paddle that allows for awesome forward stroke efficiency, ala bentshaft. Of course, I posted something like this before, but you know people take issue, think they're being attacked or whatever, but its still amazing to me that everyone is not using them.

Alden i am seriously gonna try to put some time into the outrage, then we'll go do some boating. i might be stupid, but I still realize i'd like to be sharp in the boat before runnin some gnarly large steaming pile of dog doo like youre runnin. (Wait that last sentence doesn't quite say what i thought)

bearboater, you might want to get that anger issue checked out.

So I guess the post did its work by gettin people riled, just like home.
Alden
CBoats Addict

boatin

Post by Alden »

jay,

word out in davis is that you have a new version of the vid. for those who don't know, jay's video is truly awesome (especially the music). i heard "cold on the shoulder" recently in a social setting and I alarmed everyone by immediately mimicking an onside boof off the first ledge of Landslide (this is some kind of pavlovian response in me now). i am all for matt walker having a house that does not rhyme with "deep wagoneer" and does not roll around on four wheels. i cant wait to hear more about the chile trip. my housemate is jack conroy, he was down with potomac paddlesports as an instructor. will, you should definitely come up, although my shoulder had a little setback this week.

and a final thought to end the day:

"Craig Smerda doesn't have a drinking problem - drinking has a Craig Smerda problem."

Alden
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Longboatin'

Where else is a guy supposed to find info on c-boats and outfitting? It's often a pretty small pool of experience locally. Isn't this what Internet forums are for - finding people with shared interests so you can exchange opinions and find solutions?

I know it's no replacement for actual paddling, and that I'll learn my own ways of tweaking my boats, but getting people's outfitting measurements and photos gave me something to go on.

What's your version of the ideal posts, no questions? . . .

"I know how to paddle a long canoe. I was out paddling yesterday."

"I also paddle a long canoe. I'm going tomorrow."

Sorry if my questions about boat types and outfitting solutions bored you, but I don't know much about kayaks and I want to try one out. I think it will help me learn another thing or 2 about canoeing rivers. I think it will be fun.

If it makes you feel any better...
I promise to paddle it soon, and
I also like to paddle a long canoe:
http://www3.telus.net/~soloboat/prospec ... nicola.jpg

P.

p.s. What's the difference between somebody asking for opinions on saddle placement or bending cockpit rims compared to somebody starting a discussion on bent-shaft paddles?
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

f.y.i. (Alden)

Craig Smerda does not have a "C-boating problem".
"C-boating problems" have Craig Smerda.

burp!-hiccup! :P

"honey get me another beer!"...
"what do you mean "get it myself""...
"can't you see I'm kinda' busy here!"...
"What do you mean I'm typing and not talking"....
>CLICK<