Zephyr

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

dixie_boater
C Guru

3M DP8005 Adhesive

Post by dixie_boater »

Billcanoes,

You posted that Esquif used DP805 adhesive on the Zephyr. Is that actually DP8005? I checked on 3M's website and found that DP8005 is a structural adhesive intended for use on polyethylene and polypropylene plastics. It sounds good for twin tex hulls, but the prices I found on a distributor website were quite high. A 35 mL Duo-Pak was $19.81 and a 250 mL Duo-Pak was $89.82. These packs are used with a cartridge applicator similar to the one Plexus provides for their products. Pretty expensive stuff. A gallon costs a measly $883! Holy guacamole! :o

Let me know if I'm right on the 3M adhesive number.

Thanks,

Michael
CanoeBoy
Pain Boater

You Are Correct Sir

Post by CanoeBoy »

Those prices are right! I have some coming to me from a 3m rep in the PACNW. Im paying $16.75 a tube. Multiple places that sell it would only sell it by the case load ($106). It is expensive, but remember how much 3M 3532 costs? Its like $32. Its all relative. To bad my boat actually needs it. Email me at Nick@aldercreek.com if you want to see the photos.
dixie_boater
C Guru

Thanks for the confirmation

Post by dixie_boater »

Nick,

You're right about prices being relative. 3532 ain't cheap either. Please send your pics to mrmccurdy@comcast.net I would love to see how the stuff looks in your boat. Tell us how hard it is to work with, clean-up, etc.

Are you using the adhesive for flotation or thigh strap anchors?

Thanks again my friend,

Michael
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

Post by billcanoes »

Hi Michael,

You have the right part #. I'm not sure if one Zephyr just had an air bubble in the vinyl, but an airbag tiedown is coming up on Davids boat.

I got all bulkheads, because I was concerned about stuff adherring. I wrote to Twintex manufacturer, described the forces being used and asked them what would stick, I got no response.

From what I can tell the 3m does fine holding foam down.

Bill
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Post by squeakyknee »

I haven't noticed anything loose yet in mine.However,there was a spot where there was some squeezeout on one of my tiedowns.I barely picked at it,and it came off with ease.Kinda worried that they didn't do enough research before production.
Still a great boat.I may add more foam to the front and back of the saddle to pin the bags in,just in case.
Shawn
CanoeBoy
Pain Boater

Glass in Patches

Post by CanoeBoy »

I have one the earlier boats before they found out about the 3M stuff. My bag tie downs are glassed in with kevlar felt and some kind of resin, i would guess epoxy, but you have to talk to Esquif. That may solve youre problems.
Nick
MotorCityOC-1
C Guru

performance

Post by MotorCityOC-1 »

anybody try shortening up the thwarts a bit yet? seems like the boat has beam to spare. probably pull the sides in a bit without making too much of a sacrifice in the stability dept. maybe get a little more speed out of it that way and just maybe harden up the chines?

just thinkin' out loud... :roll:
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

i wonder how the twintex would be affected by a different flex? would be neat to hear results. since i havent touched it or felt it, i was under the impression its a fairly stiff hull, but i dont know.
cheers
-isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

Canoeboy mentioned

Post by ChrisKelly »

the way the earlier Zyphyr's had glassed in Kevlar attachment points. How have these worked? Has anybody used kevlar attachment points for thigh straps yet? I am wondering if they will adhere to the hull given the upward pressure on a thigh strap.

I am also waiting for the first reports on thigh strap attachment points using this new glue mentioned above. If Esquif can solve the glue problem I think Twintex will be the open boating material of the future. I am already wanting a Twintex Spark.
Chris Kelly