As the father of a C-boater

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Louie

As the father of a C-boater

Post by Louie »

My proudest minute was when during a race they called my son up on stage to ask him if he would paddle a butt boat to fill out a class and he told the crowd " hey I've got to have a place to live."
Martyn
Pain Boater

Post by Martyn »

So what really made you proud? Chad knowing there's only one way and that's one blade or finally finding an event where they didn't have enough butt boaters?

Martyn
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree :)

About a year ago, some friends and I were paddling and one of the guys was talking about paddling a 'yak the other day for the first time. We accused him of turning into one of those butt boaters, and he vehemently denied that he was thinking of giving up single blade paddling, that he was just trying it out.

The reply was hilarious..."That's like saying 'I'm not happy, I just had a homosexual experience.' " I thought we would ALL die laughing. 8) :P

Jeff

P.S. He has never paddled double blade again (at least not that we know of). ;)
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

I find it pretty funny that so many C-boaters have this grudge or "chip" about K-boaters. Most of my paddle buddies are C-boaters but I paddle with K-boats often and they are all pretty friendly about C-boats. Why does everyone talk so much smack about K-boaters, are you jealous-intimidated-better? I know a lot of the smack is just for fun but has anyone really had a negative experience with a K-boater or is it a C-boats are better than K-boats attitude. I paddle both and have respect for both. I hurt my knee last year and couldn't kneel and so was forced to K-boat which I still had fun doing and think it helps your boating in all regards. One of my biggest pet-peeves is paddlers that are one dimensional and don't explore all aspects of paddling. K-boating and C-boating are both very fun-I certainly like C-boating better but I also like to K-boat from time to time to mix it up and do something different. Just my thoughts thats all :D :D
The important part about paddling is that you have fun--i think its great that your kid stuck to the C-boat though.
Have fun everyone!
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Have to agree with cbcboat here. Besides most of the kidding here and on the river is good natured fun. Usually going both ways and leads to adult beverages afterwards.
Its also fun to get to a play hole and hop into a couple new hot boats - all being different types C, OC and K - and then figuring out the pros and cons of each. Helps you learn a bit about the limitations of your style!
I know after a turn (or 20) in that Maven I'm going to have to get in a K Squirt to re-figure things out (I'm expecting a lot Adam - sorry 8) ).
The object is to have fun and learn IMHO! :wink:
Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

K boating

Post by billcanoes »

I only had one experience at the Chili Run 2005 where an open boater really appeared to mean the jokes, he was a jack--- to a kayaker- or a few and he and his friends were badmouthing buttboaters- but there was no joking in the tone- And IMO he/ they were just jerks no matter what he would have been paddling. I have a good friend who went to the Armada last year and is a buttboater- If people really felt the way they kid he would have been ostricized-

Oh by the way- After a couple tandem trips in the blast- my son Will, 7, did his first solo river trip on the lower green in a butt boat- no flips, lots of boofs (by accident) - and he lead the way down the last mile or so of river.

Bill
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

I can't kayak.
but i'm just happy to be on the river with anyone, especially slalom in this area, or rather the coast, most of them K1, and they respect what i do, i respect them. because their times are less than half of mine. and they just look dynamic.
as does a good C-slalomist.
the one thing i dislike is when i Kayaker doesn't know what i am in. which has only happened a couple times here, and more often in minnesota.
cheers
-isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
Louie

Sorry

Post by Louie »

My bad mouthing of those girl boat paddlers is all in fun, I really don't care what a paddlers sexuall orienation is. I even have some friends who paddle those thing, of couse I;d never allow one to date my daughter however.
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

It's just joking on my part. I've paddled with kayakers, and we all get along. A guy that paddles kayak (a rec. boat) gets swamped frequently on some of the rivers and we always bail him out (cockpit so big that the skirt implodes). Kayakers helped me out when I was looking up at fish in my Cascade. I got a little grief from my OC buddies when I got the Cascade cause I was wearing a skirt ;)

Think of it as a Chevy v/s. Ford type of thing. Not too many people are gonna break into a fight over it (unless a lot of drinking is involved), but don't be shocked when one expresses their opinions on it.

btw...I've yet to see stickers of Calvin & Hobbs urinating on a kayak or Cboat yet, so I think our differences haven't gone too far yet ;)

Jeff
grinner
Pain Boater

Post by grinner »

Hi.
When i paddle there are lots of jokes about cboaters. My boat gets called a bathtub which is kinda' funny. I also make jokes about kayakers and they make jokes about canoers. Its all fun. I've never had someone say something about canoers that has been ment. Although my brother is a butt-boater and he moans about having to help put my boat on the car and take it off. I have to paddle with butt-boaters because theres no open boaters. Its all good fun.

Joe

By the way Louie how olds your daughter :lol: lol. I'm young and sigle and i paddle a open boat. :D
paddling a flooded canoe is easy. stopping is easy as long as you have some kayaks to help you stop.
NateOC
Pain Boater

Post by NateOC »

I know whenever I paddle my boat (especially in the pool!) people always are pretty impressed as the boat is so large compared to thier kayaks. Then they try the boat out, flip over, or get out immediately because it's too tippy and they can't make it go straight.

After that people are even more impressed (and humbled). There are lots of jokes like "so when are you coming over to the dark side"---but it's all for fun, just like I think it has been on this forum.

People also comment on how I'm often a third of thier age (15) and paddling a boat about twice as long as thiers, and much bigger.

Nate
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

well...

Post by PAC »

Hey Louie - I forgot to say... you should be proud of your boy!
I hear he is a heck of a boater and a nice kid too! 8)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Atucky
CBoats Addict

For me..

Post by Atucky »

I like gayakers, they help me with shuttles often.

Just trying to poke the fire...

Adam T
Louie

Gayakers

Post by Louie »

I like that can I use it in the kiddy poll ? I hope some smart butt over there doesn't come back with queernoers or something.
Atucky
CBoats Addict

for sure

Post by Atucky »

go for it. I have some others, but can't give them all away at once.

Adam T