anyone take classes from Zoar outfitters?-and other stuff

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Philip
c

anyone take classes from Zoar outfitters?-and other stuff

Post by Philip »

I am a recent transplant to Boston from Colorado (no I am not crazy :lol: wifes job). I am thinking about taking the class III canoe class at zoar the weekend of the demo fest. Just wanted to see if anyone has done this class. I sold my canoe before we left and I want to get some time on the river. I have boated the colorado's easier class II and III stuff but I still could use some more pointers for the bigger runs. I also want to check out different boats. Also looking for paddling partners once I get a boat. If anyone has a beat up (not to pricey)oc1 of the shorter variety for sale in the NE let me know.

Thanks

Philip
Heidi
Pain Boater

Post by Heidi »

Welcome to the great Northeast Philip. I spend alot of time on the Deerfield and though I've never taken a class from Zoar Outdoor, based on what I've observed they have some fine instructors. Apart from the owner of Zoar Outdoor, Bruce Lessels who is a well respected open and decked boater and who still instructs, I have only observed one Zoar canoe instructor (a dedicated open boater, I think his name is Scott) his skills were distinctively refined and not surprisingly he is a student of Tom Foster.

I would be sure to ask if the instructor of the class you want to attend spends most of their river time in a kayak or canoe. Personally, for canoe instruction, I don't want an instructor who, although certified, spends the majority of their time on the water plying the double blade. Demofest is a very busy weekend for Zoar with alot going on, maybe not the best weekend to get the most from your instruction, but it is a great weekend to test paddle boats and enjoy the many offerings from Zoar.

I am biased, based on my experience, but for someone who truly wants to improve their paddling, Tom Foster is one of the best instructors in the Northeast. Tom is my coach and the instructor who in one season took me from a class 2 paddler with limited control to a confident, enjoying it, solid class 3, easy 4 paddler. He'll provide the feedback you provide the pond and river practice and voila.

Tom loves to teach but the student must meet a couple criteria. One you need to have your own dedicated, not too old school ww boat (i.e. it should have some rocker) and have it outfitted so that the outfitting does what it should do (i.e. boat control, holding in, letting go etc.) and the most important thing, is to have the attitude of one with an empty cup (i.e. be receptive so that when you hear critique you can apply it and when you are being taught something you think you already know how to do you are able to get out of the way enough to let the new stuff in). The next best thing to taking a lesson with Tom is to view and review and review his *new DVD Tom Foster on Solo WW Canoeing. The DVD is unparralled as a guide to strokes and learning how to carve. You can write Tom at tfwhitewaterAThotmailDOTcom to purchase the DVD and inquire about instruction.

As far as find boating buds and boats for sale, the Northeast Paddlers Message Board www.npmb.com is an excellent resource. A post there will usually garner some offers. I paddle with friends or with organized club trips with groups from across the NE and frequently paddle with a bunch of open and decked boaters affiliated with the Boston AMC, there are many skilled open boaters in that club and the few and the hardy are out there every weekend all year round, they also have boats for members to rent.

I am deeply indebted to folks in the Boston chapter for bringing me along on rivers all over the NE, showing me the lines, being there for each other when we notch it up, providing safety and all that good time stuff on and off the river. Seriously there are some quiet phenomenal talents in that group; like Norm with a photographic memory of rapids who was running cls 5 in a Grumman 30 years ago, he still leads trips, really good ones, and paddles year round. Mel, bad knees forced him to give up kneeling, so he stands, cls 4 standing with a single blade - freakin' amazing; to get an idea of the body control that takes try bracing with a long object from a standing position. I could go on and on but you get the picture. Also, the NH AMC is another fine source of boaters and rental boats.

I'm headed to the Deerfield this Saturday to buy a used Spark, (couldn't wait any longer for Kaz to come out with the "Tango"); then I'm planning on paddling all day maybe two. I would let you paddle my Outrage but it is outfitted with hip pads so you would have to have that cinderella fit, about 15" between the pads. As one friend said to another that was trying to get in the boat "ah your butt is too big cinderella" :D. I'll be spending alot of time on Fifebrook 'til I have a feel for the Spark so drop a line adirondack_hlAThotmailDOTcom and come boat with us. ~ Heidi
TommyC1
C Guru

Post by TommyC1 »

I took rolling classes from Zoar some years ago and have a high regard for Bruce and his crew.
Foster is quite good as well. I need to hook up with him for a tune up.

Used OC-1s are hard to come by most anywhere. Keep an eye out here and at www.npmb.com.
You also might want to check out the Boston Chapter AMC for decent instruction (They are doing a Bob Foote clinic this weekend) and the New Hampshire AMC has a mailing list that sometimes has interesting boats for sale.
If an Encore is not too long (or heavy) I might be able to hook you up.

Tommy
Dale
C Boater

OC1 lessons

Post by Dale »

Yes I agree with the above. You can also get a private lesson from Zoar if you want and request the aforementioned Scott for an instructor if you would like. Zoar is a great place to take lessons from - they also have several different OC1 to choose from - even some Esquifs. :D

Also Tom Foster is good. I second his DVD. Talk with him about lessons.

Heidi I have a gueston to you specifically - How did you find the Spark? I have an Outrage and a Spark. Curious about your opinion. Always nice to hear what another woman has to say about an open ww canoe.
Liked all that you wrote above - perhaps I will see you up on the Deerfield June, July or August.
Dale
Heidi
Pain Boater

Post by Heidi »

Hi Dale,

The Northeast finally got some rain, with other rivers going off I postponed getting the Spark 'til next weekend. I'm wondering if we met on the Tohickon couple years ago, did Tom outfit your Outrage?

I'm looking forward to the Spark. After spending a lot of time in Tom's old kevlar Outrage last season, my royalex boat lost some in the fun department not to mention attainment frustration. I'm glad though that I went with the royalex while learning boat control on pushier water, I would have held back more if I was paddling glass... just gonna have to remember not to pull those boof moves........give a holler when you are headed thisaway. ~heidi