C-boat Armada: Switzerland!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

C-boat Armada: Switzerland!

Post by NZMatt »

Hi y'all
This probably isn't of much interest to those of you on the other side of the atlantic, but....
I'm organising a C-boater gathering for the weekend of June 24-25 in the Simmental in Switzerland. If you are interested, please PM me or send me an email throught he forum. I can then send you directions and some more info.

The Plan
Saturday, paddle the Simme - sections range from I to III.
Sunday: Whatever people want. Maybe split into 2 groups, one for easier water, one for harder. Possibilities include the Kander, Engstligen, Saane, Sense or other sections of the Simme. For a map of the possibilities, check out http://www.kajaktour.de/schweiz.htm. (The Simme is a little to the west of Interlaken - sorry, the descriptions are in German).

Sleeping - either the Kanu Klub Spiez club hut near Boltigen on the Simme or a nearby campground. Both are directly on the river, but there's only space for about 15 people in the sleeping loft at the hut (plus space for 2-3 small campers in the gravel parking lot and maybe some tent space on the lawn). The decision on this will be made the week before based on numbers and I'll send out an email Tues 20 June to all those I know are coming.

There's plenty of restaurants and such around, or we can just have a BBQ at the campsite.

What to expect: hopefully lots of c-boaters, fun alpine rivers

What not to expect: phenomenal organisational skills, pool drop rapids, warm water.

Hope y'all having fun!
Cheers,
Matt

PS. I need a creeker! Let me know if there is anyone selling a C1 creekboat or even a kayak I can convert in the area around Switzerland. Preference: Nomad 8.0.
NZMatt

Hmmm....new country, new rivers...-
Still not enough c-boaters....
fez
CBoats Addict

c-gathering

Post by fez »

this event is fixed in my diary.

I´m looking forward getting to know you in some days in southern France.

Greetings Frank
imagine
Sandie_
Pain Boater

I'll be too late

Post by Sandie_ »

Hi Matt,

Bums, I am coming over with our canoe club on the 29th - 10th July based nr versam. I will try and get over a few days earlier for your weekend but it is doubtful as we are supposed to be car sharing.

When are you doing scotland?

Hi to Jo too.

Sandie
steve B

Post by steve B »

Hi Matt,
I'm interested in joining up with you guys, I'm based in France in the Vosges mountains, so I'm not that far away. I could bring a wheelboy, mr clean, meltdown & acrobat squirt C1, but like most people I'm lacking a good creekin C-boat.

Cheers Steve
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Boats, boats, boats

Post by NZMatt »

Howdy Steve,

Thanks for reminding me - I forgot to mention boats...

I will have the following boats available: Master Cut Acrobat (cut for 65kg), Massive Groove, Esquif Zoom, Tandem-outfitted Mad River Rampage and maybe a Wheelboy (if I haven't had to give it back by then). With luck I might also have a creeker to try and you might also be able to persuade Jo to loan her Dagger Phantom for a short test.

I didn't know there was another Acrobat around here. Cool! Could you please bring the Meltdown? I'd love to try that out - and it'll make Adam jealous :) . There are some squirt spots nearby.

I'm also thinking about bringing the beamer and some c-boat films along for some off the water possibilities.

Cheers!

Matt
NZMatt

Col
Pain Boater

Post by Col »

I am keen, can you send me some more details, plus if anyone else is going from the UK let me know.

I can bring a CU Fly, Prelude and Meltdown.

Colin

colincol78@aol.com
C - UNIT..!
adamin
CBoats.net Staff

The horror!

Post by adamin »

Potentially TWO MELTDOWNS in one place and I won't be there for a few weeks. Sigh. Have a great time everyone! It's great to see the "Armada's" are spreading world-wide now:) I know we all get together and paddle with our friends (and their friends), but I think you'll all find it a very rewarding experience to meet new CBoaters and paddle together. I know I feel that way after every armada!

Adam
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

Hello Matt,
Is Beni Gabenthuel going to be there? He is a local (Luzern area) C1er that I paddled with back in 1996. We spent some time on the Kleine Emme and Lower Entlen. If you see him, tell him Bruce Farrenkopf says hello.
SYOTR,
Bruce
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Post by NZMatt »

Hiya Bruce,
Have you got any contact info for Beni? I haven't heard from him, but I can drop him a line.
Cheers,
Matt
NZMatt

Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Matt,
I have an old phone number that you can try (310-66-49). Let me know if you succeed in contacting him.
SYOTR,
Bruce
swisscanoeist
c

Post by swisscanoeist »

Beni is a friend of mine his email: b-b.gaberthuel@gmx.ch
phone Nr. 041 349 68 660

I just fittet the Robson Homes today, we're up to the Engadin for the Inn River, this long Penecoste Weekend.

Would be fun to meet you guys at the Simme in 3 Weeks.

Hugo
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Hello Swisscanoest,
Please say hi to Beni from me! He might remember me. I think I'll try to send him a personal email.
Thank you,
Bruce Farrenkopf
maryfromkansas
c

Post by maryfromkansas »

Maybe I can go to the Swiss Armada in 2007! I didn't know you were going to have some open boats to borrow. I will start saving my pennies now!
maryfromkansas
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Armada Details

Post by NZMatt »

Gudday y'all

I'm going to write this in English. Apologies. If you don't understand something drop me a note and I will try to explain in German or French.

What? - Simme C-boat Armada
Who? - Everyone who paddles with one blade, plus friends and family
When? - Saturday und Sunday 24 & 25 June

meeting Place? - Saturday between 0930 and 1000 Baeurtweidli near Boltigen (see maps)

Bauertweidli is on the main road running through the Simmental. As you drive along the road you pass a lot of small towns including Erlenbach (where the Stockhorn gondola starts), Darstetten, Weissenberg, Oberwil and then you approach Boltigen. Before you get to Boltigen the railway tracks cross from right side of the road to the left at a level crossing. Just before this crossing is Bauertweidli on the left hand side of the road, between the road and the river. There is a large gravel parking lot and some buildings, one of which is the club hut.

Contact: Matt Steven (+41 (0)31 791 23 50 hm / +41 (0)79 573 99 79)

If you are coming Friday night, please let me know - Jo and I will be staying out at the club hut overnight.

Accomodation at the hut is limited. There is plenty of space to park vehicles. Space for maybe 2 tents and then a matrassenlager for 15-20people.
** Please let me know what you would prefer for sleeping arrangements.
** Please tell me how many people are coming with you

Saturday Plan
1. Simme from Boltigen to Heidenweidli (grade 2)
2a. We'll leave a car or 2 at Heidenweidli and those not comfortable paddling the next section can use the cars to shuttle boats to Weissenburg.
2b. Heidenweidli - Weissenburg (grade 3)
3. Weissenburg - Erlenbach (grade 2)
Each section takes 1-2 hrs. Eddies are small in many places and the water is quite fast and continous. Levels should be good since it is meant to stay warm.

If people still have energy, desire and time permits we can also run the Kander schlucht (grade 3-4) on Saturday. This section starts easy and then the last section, although not technically difficult is challenging due to undercut rocks and large holes. It starts on the Simme by Wimmis and ends on the Kander.

Saturday night - GRILLING! There is a grillplatz at Bauertweidli, or we can grill at the takeout. If the weather is foul there are plenty of local restaurants.

Sunday Plan
To be decided Saturday night. Those with Squirt boats might enjoy spending some time at a couple of spots on the Aare (grade 1 mainly). There are also some local easy surf spots around that should be running. Other river options include the Kander (grade 3-4) and the Saane (a little further away, but a beautiful run, Grade 2-3+). There are plenty of harder options if anyone wants to try some Oberland creeking. Unfortunately, my favourite runs (the Emme and Kleine Emme are not running).

Attached you'll find some maps of the area to see how to get here and where we're meeting.

See you next weekend!

Cheers,
Matt

Maps:
http://isc.astro.cornell.edu/~don/pictu ... 1.jpg.html
http://isc.astro.cornell.edu/~don/pictu ... 2.jpg.html
http://isc.astro.cornell.edu/~don/pictu ... 3.jpg.html
NZMatt

Taniwha
C Guru

Post by Taniwha »

Since it is happening and, fortunately, I've got time now: I'll be there!

Thanks NZMatt for organizing and the latest information posted here. CU on the river.