Sore Wrists

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

msims
CBoats Addict

Sore Wrists

Post by msims »

Hey,

Was listening to a fellow cboater whine about sore wrists. I told him maybe it was his paddle, wrong length, etc... thought for sure he was doing SOMETHING wrong...

But it seems that the Gods of C-boating pain sought retribution for my less than humble approach - and my wrists started to really hurt after this weekend's outing... I was paddling for about 5 hours, and my wrists are killing me... esp when I position them similar to holding a blade - my t-grip hand especially.

Any ideas?
________
YAMAHA WX5 SPECIFICATIONS
Last edited by msims on Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

A lot of views, but no responses :) Guess we are all fearful of the gods of c-boating pain.

Some hideous left knee pain is forcing me to modify outfitting, and I'm even contemplating raising the pedestal 3/4" to make it more tolerable. :o :(
Brendan
C Guru

wrist pain

Post by Brendan »

Perhaps some post-paddling wrist excercise with those specially crafted 12 oz. chilled weights might be helpful? Be careful not to overdo this excercise, but in moderation there can be noticible pain relief!
Brendan
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

Although overtraining is possible and should be avoided, sometimes moderately frequent training will help to avoid pain that comes from more infrequent, but intensive use (i.e. light paddling a few times during the week can avoid "weekend warrior" aches & pains). Once your wrist recovers a bit, you might want to see if a regular schedule of light training helps. Those 12 oz. chilled weights sound like a good place to start!!

jscottl67: Moderately frequent training can work for the knee pain as well (although using those chilled weights might be more of a challenge!). My knee and ankle pain lessens and gets more bearable the more frequently that I paddle. I've also found that regularly getting into a low kneel for a minute or two at non-paddling workouts during the week also helps to "acclimitize" my knees.

John
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Ibuprofen and reduced paddling.
msims
CBoats Addict

Post by msims »

I was beginning to wonder how sore elbows got 14 responses, and sore wrists only get 4 posts...what, is sore wrist not manly enough!? (or womanly if you're a woman ) ...

Vitamin I will likely be my choice...seeing as I don't drink. and if I did im sure it wouldnt be as effective as having to chug back 3 yankee beers to one canuck beer! ;-)

Uh oh, I sense longboatin' coming to give us all a scolding for not paddling, and too much posting... :o truth be told, i aint cutting into my paddling time, im cutting into my WORK time ;-)
________
TOYOTA SUPRA SPECIFICATIONS
Last edited by msims on Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bushpaddler
C Guru

Post by bushpaddler »

I'm using a salve called Traumeel which is homeopathic, cheap and, as far as I know, available on your side of the pool, too.
Used one week min. twice a day eliminates my problem, maybe yours too.

Florian
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

i use it too. it is amazing stuff!
Larry
msims
CBoats Addict

Post by msims »

Here's the URL that Florian sent me for the URL...

Thanks Guys!

http://www.traumeel.com/worldwide/?cont=7&coun=31
http://www.traumeel.com/products/
________
Motorcycle tires