squirt boats for large gentlemen

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

bearboater
CBoats Addict

squirt boats for large gentlemen

Post by bearboater »

I am just curious what dudes around 200/195 are using for squirt boats? I don't that that at my weight too many boats would be hard to squirt, but I was just curious as to what people are using?
Prost
-isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
adamin
CBoats.net Staff

At your weight...

Post by adamin »

At your weight the Acrobat is the PERFECT squirt machine.

Unfortunately, it's lighter folks (under 180, say) that have difficulty finding a squirt boat that is low enough volume (Oxygen or Maven, or really chopped Acrobat, though they are still a bit high volume IMhO).

You would have a great time in a 'master cut' Acrobat...just ask Mike W.:)
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Now that I've been called a "large gentleman" :roll: Yeah, I'm a fat boy so here goes. I paddled a 1/2" cut Acrobat for a while. At my weight & skill level Robin's Nest on NBP is shall we say...interesting for me & entertaining for the fans :o Then I got a master cut Acrobat which I will not paddle class III in. It's REAL interesting. I've not had it on a great mystery spot yet. If you want to mystery try a Maven. One warning though, for us "large gentlemen" :roll: The Maven is SCARY :o on flatwater :o It will get down though :P

Here's how I float a 1/2" cut Acro:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wh20crazy ... pg&.src=ph

I don't need an eddy-line to do this in the master cut Acro:

Fun in an Oxygen:

Here's how a "large gentleman" :roll: "floats" in LEW's Maven:

Here's what a "large genlteman" can do at a not so great mystery level in LEW's Maven :D
adamin
CBoats.net Staff

HA!

Post by adamin »

Actually, I wouldn't catagorize EITHER of you as "larger gentlemen"...as i recall most of the Slalom boats are built for 160-180 as the ideal weight.

But, I have to admit, Mike, your build is ideal for a C1 Squirtboater :wink:

I'll be curious to hear your (and PACs) take on the Maven with the enlarged cockpit area. I found a huge improvement in the performance (er...stability) in mine, but the demo boat PAC has has a slightly different displacement (more volume in the ends than mine).
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Cquirt

Post by PAC »

I'm at 180+ and at that weight my Full Cut Acrobat is more of a river runner than a full on squirt boat. That said it just takes a more powerfull seam and flow to get it to perform.
I was able to spat, and swipe last night in it without issue at low flow on the lower yough (my "no pack" is hurting right now). Its not a DT machine for me but thats okay for what I'm doing right now.
If you get up this way you can borrow it to play but based on what I know I think an Acrobat would work well for you.
Just make sure you look at what the cut is for.. what weight. A 1/2 cut for 145 lbs is different than 1/2 cut for a boat designed for 190 lbs)! Also anything cut (1/2 or master) can take some time to adjust to!

Paul C.

PS - I'd like to hear Martin's comparison of his "new to him" boat (classic Tiger strips) to my boat. ... Martin?

PSS: I had the Maven prototype out this weekend too (flatwater) and adding 3" in the knee spread made a VERY difference in the boat! 8) Still twitchy but in a more controlled, pleasing but scary manner! :)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Paul,

my boat is definitely lower volume than yours.
It is definitely easier to throw the ends down, and while in yours there is enough room under the deck to install ankle blocks, there is no way I could use them in mine.
As a conmparison my stern deck is essentially slightly submerged, while yours wa just about level with the surface.

We compared it to Adam's full cut at the Hudson Armada, and the decks are definitely flatter and the hull is lower cut.

Isaac, how long are your legs, particularly your femur? Thats the critical dimension for C1 squirt boats for taller guys. the only C1 squirts I can fit in so far are full cut and whatever cut my Acrobat is, as well as the Maven with the modified cockpit rim, everything else (unmodified Maven, master cut Acrobat, Oxygen) is too small for me.

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!

PS: Paul, next time I am in your neck of the woods I HAVE to try that Maven out! I think it might be a bit more size appropriate for me than Adams's boat :o ...
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

How deep do you want to go? I'm 220# or so and am in a full cut Viper. Stern squirting is easy an smooth and recently I've discovered that I can plow squirt it near vertical in the flats (past vert will take just a little more confidence and oomph). Cartwheeling is not likely, it's got too much volume at this length.

As Martin says, femur dimension (and feet size!) is very important. In this boat that is capacious to many, I'm finding things a bit tight. I have my saddle just over 6" and my knees are complaining because of the compression of my thighs under the deck. I'd really like to figure something out here...
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

I meant nothing rude, nor made an attempt to be in my labeling this squirt boats for large gentlemen, i just assumed that more people would reply if it were that versus big dudes.

as for my legs, they are long, I have like a 35" inseam, and size 12 feet. I have marks on my legs where my thighs hit my cockpit rim in my zealot with a 5 inch saddle.
I guess I will just have to try these machines out...
cheers
-isaac
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I was kidding about the "large gentleman" thing :wink: Adam, I think you're right about the 'ideal' build for a C-1 squirt boater. Seems we need to be short to fit in the boats & heavy to get them down. I've got both short & heavy covered :lol:

Looking for a big whirlpool? Check out this one in Maine :o
http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/ ... pool.shtml
Actually, I think this one could be terminal.

Is anyone taking a Maven, or any C-squirt to team trials on Sunday? It will be at Last Chance on the Gauley. This is festival weekend so I KNOW somebody will be there...PAC? I'm on call & can't leave town. I'll be moping around here all weekend wishing I were in WV :cry: Worlds will be in Canada next May. The scoop can be found here:
http://www.angstkayak.com/messageboard/ ... 11907.html
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

Great pics., Mike. At my height and weight, I think I would need a little something extra to paddle your boats...scuba gear. :)

Jeff
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Acro / Maven

Post by PAC »

Martin
So your Acrobat is lower volume and you fit in it... you must be one happy puppy! Sounds very nice - except for the ankle block thing - I need those for comfort and control! I just like that classic tiger stripping! 8)

Maven update:
As for the Prototype it is, at my weight 180+, about 5-10% buoyancy (decks awash) and yes Martin and Mike - you will fit in it - the cockpit area is large! So come on and play! :wink:
As for where it stands now - I'm still toying with it and tooling it (with in put / discussions with Adam) and even though it is still twitchy, widening the knee spread from a 7" (inside distance) to 10" has added a LOT of stability. 8) I'm not ready for class II+ in it (yet) but its getting there. Once I figure out the edges and angles I'll provide better review but it would bow stall at will (That was my will... not it's - a pleasant first) and I could feel it wanting to "bite" when I started to push the bow down on different plainning angles. This "nibble" occured at almost all the approach angles I attempted - not sure if thats good or bad since I was on flatwater! :-? Right now it still likes to dive when moving forward and wash out (drop edges) when paddling in any direction - not to mention just sitting still :o - but I think I need to trim "me" out in terms of placement in the boat. Twitchy yes... but fun and after some time in it I think you can adapt your paddling style to get the max out of it. Anyone that will be in the area that wants to give it, or my Acrobat, a try just let me know! I'll try to get some pitures up too. :D Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Isaac,

I have a 36 inseam, and I fit the full-cut as well as my slightly lower cut Acrobat, as well as the modified Maven, so there is a squirt boating option out there for you.

Paul,

Yes, my boat is definitely a tighter fit than yours, but it's not about comfort :-? , it's about having fun 8) !
I have to get out and stretch after ~20-30 minutes, depending on how hard I play.
I am very curious obout how the full cut Maven handles, Adam's boat made flatwater feel like solid class 3 to me.

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Maven

Post by PAC »

Martin
The Full cut proto now handles on flat-water like solid class II! A lot going on but most is controllable now! :)
Prior to it's "operation" I took it down on II rapid and I flip right at the top (last rapid on the Slip) and spent the entire drop performing more or less uncontrolled rolls, flips and squirts and moves I don't have a name for. :o My buddies thought it was really cool - but at the time I didn't enjoy it as much as they did!
After tweaking it I have to get it back there - it has to be better based on how the boat it acted on flat-water!
But then it was a wild and scary - but retrospect fun - ride! :wink:
Paul C.

Isaac - Check out a Viper too like Scott B mentioned - a nice squirt cruiser!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

I really want to try a Viper after reading the sites info on one, Now I just need to get out east, or well basically, just get out east. I think I am going to try to get to check a few schools out there, and I intend on getting to a few slaloms as well.
Prost
-isaac