Fluid Large Solo Expedition Short Review

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Jan_dettmer
CBoats Addict

Fluid Large Solo Expedition Short Review

Post by Jan_dettmer »

So I've been paddling this boat for a few weeks now and just thought I'd write a short report....

Conversion: Converting it is as easy as it gets. The "rib-cage" makes it very easy to anchor some sort of backbone to the bottom of the hull.
Also very handy are the kayak hip pads/seat mounts. They are set up in a way that they can be used as hip pads in the C1 without the need of cutting board or boat plastic. The way they are constructed, they fo not interfere with the skirt. I just added a couple inches foam for my skinny bum.
I paddle a seat of about 5 inch. I trim the boat ded center.

Performance: The boat did surprise me. First I was a little worried. The first river day was on the Clendinning Creek here in the Tantalus Range in BC. This run is very remote and after the floatplane took off I thought for a split second that maybe should have tested it somewhere else. Oh well...
It turned out not to be a problem. I had 3 days worth of food and gear in the boat and it handled awesome in the steep boulder gardens. The hatch was phantastic and very dry. It made packing so much easier.

The boat is very nimble and responsive. It is quick edge to edge and carves turns nicely. The rails are very forgiving. First the boat looks like it is fairly flat and has a good edge on it. however, the edge is so high up and there is substantial flare in the sides of the boat, which makes it very forgiving.

I really like the way the boat rides up on features and stays on top of things. Out here we mostly paddle very steep low volume runs in tight canyons. Driving the boat up on rocks to make room for the paddle to purchase some water is a common move. The boat does this excellent. When a friend and I raced Harris Creek a couple weeks ago, i got some of the biggest rock boofs I have ever had on that run.

The boats speed is descent. It is not the biggest/longest boat on the market. At 8 feet it is right in the middle I think. But for the length very fast. I think the design of the bow makes it paddle very effortless.

Also very impressed by the stern. It has lots of volume and does not ender or backloop into holes (although I have managed to do it -- my lack of skill).
With a good chunk of rocker in the stern the boat boofs as easy as any creek boat these days. On the Clendenning I had a lot of gear in the stern and it still boofed OK.

Punching holes works well, and the bow seems to plow through them nicely.

I like the design as well as the Nomad, and Blunt (my favorites before this boat came out) and it is as stable, even more stable on edge.
Def. recommendet as a C1.

Cheers, Jan

[img]http://www.open-canoe.de/vi-ww-blog/plo ... g_3211.jpg[/img]
Is there something like an expert kayaker?
http://www.bc-ww.com
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Nice review, nice boat.....NICE CAMPSITE :D
Matt Fritz
C Guru

Post by Matt Fritz »

Jan,

Awesome picture. I want to go to BC sometime.

Matt
Jan_dettmer
CBoats Addict

Post by Jan_dettmer »

Matt, def. let me know when you get over here. I'll try to show you some good BC creeking.
Cheers, Jan
CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Post by CosmikDebris »

Jan,
We need to do a creeking exchange...south east boaters need to come up to BC and see what it's all about and ya'll need to come down here sometime to check it out...we could set up a C1 underground railroad with safe creeking houses all over the country!
-will
Jan_dettmer
CBoats Addict

Post by Jan_dettmer »

Will, I'd love to paddle down there sometime. A buddy of mine here in Victoria is from Tenn. He always raves about the runs down there. I am actually in Pennsylvania sometimes for school. Maybe next time I'll take an extra week and boat in WV and Tenn.

If anyone ever comes up this way, gimme a holler. I love to go boating with other c-boaters. We got so much class 3 to 5, there should be something for everybody.

Cheers, Jan
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Jan, gerat review and great picture!
One day I will hjave to take a boat to BC instead of my snowboard.

Just one question about the hatch on the Solo, how good is the hatch attached, i.e. is it possible for the hatch cover to come off if the bungee that seems to hold it snags a fock or something in case of a flip?

Cheers!

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

that is a great photo jan. i bet fluid would like to see that!

what is that behind and left of the cockpit? almost looks like another drain plug? duhh, i guess it is since theres a bulkhead in the rear..

just curious.. how does the plastic feel on that hull? you know how some boats seem soft and some seem hard. I'm not sure which is better...
Larry
Alden
CBoats Addict

boatin

Post by Alden »

Jan,
One day, when I emerge from this cloud of slalom, we'll have to paddle in BC. That looks like quite a fun trip.
Alden
Jan_dettmer
CBoats Addict

Post by Jan_dettmer »

hey, I'm gled you guys like the pic.

Martin, just bring both, winter paddling is awesome. I can also lend you a creek boat.
The hatch: I doubt it would come off but you never know. If you take trashing as significant as it would take to blow it off, you will prolly worry about other things rather than your hatch...like your life.
I have seen some people use metal cam straps instead. You can easily modify that but I won't bother for now.

Larry, the plastic seems solid. My experience is pretty limited though, having only paddled the boat for 15 river days or so. It is not that stiff. About the same as Dagger maybe.

Yeah Alden, just come up here. There is a lot of good boating. Last spring a bunch of americans (all kayakers) came up from WV I think. They had a good time.

Cheers, Jan