It's an OC1... It's a C1... It's an Esquif Taureau HYBRID ?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Al Greve wrote:As far as the hatches go, we've done three boats with them already,they work great!! The difference with our hatches is they screw in, where as Craigs have a hinge & latch., but either works perfect and they're the same size.
Paul told me about the hatches this summer... said he was too lazy to try to reach in there for his leftover :o HOT :o wings or something like that... :D ...anyways the screw in would have worked fine too but the thought of potentially losing the lid is why I chose these. By the way.... If I can get Paul (M) to wear a skirt on one... do I win the Canadian lottery? :D
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

sbroam wrote:I've some experience with various hatches - heck, I've got two kinds on one boat. I think the screw in kind might be more secure/watertight, but you have to watch sand and grit getting in the threads or they get nearly impossible to open and close. The sort with the latch have leaked on me - the rubber seal doesn't quite do it (age? overcompression?). The best are on a sea kayak (I know, I know) by Valley that have a tight rubber cover that's better than tupperware (tm). Those coupled with welded bulkheads are dry as a bone - I don't even use a dry bag for my sleeping bag. Not sure if those are available separate from a boat, though...
If they leak a little over time it won't be the end of the world will it... it is after all an "open" canoe... right? :D Besides... I don't care what any kayak manufacturer tells you... name one decked whitewater boat that is completely dry all the time... I see kayakers dumping out their boats quite often... and they have drain plugs to boot. Maybe I should've called them... GIANT DRAIN PLUGS? :D

The Hobie ones have a simple easily replaceable rubber o-ring seal that goes around the lid and seals to the housing... pretty simple. Either way people would chose to go... retrofitting hatches to their own boats definately enhances it in terms of "user-freindlinees".
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

If they leak a little over time it won't be the end of the world will it... it is after all an "open" canoe... right? :D ...
Well it *was* an open canoe ! :lol: I think it's a great idea and didn't think about replacing the rubber gasket - doh! The sea kayak manages to stay bone dry because it doesn't have to suffer the abuse of a whitewater boat - welded bulkheads wouldn't cut it in a whitewater boat.

What diameter are those hatches?
Al Greve
C Guru

Post by Al Greve »

Paul, as in Green ( Mason ), that's Red Greens brother for all you Canadains.... sorry Yanks that's an inside Canada joke !!!! :D He attached a core on the bottom side of the lid so as to attach his small dry bag. This way, at least in his mind.... :-? :D he won't lose the lid or have his dry bag slide under the air bag.

Now heres something you guys need to get !!!!!!! Paul is now doing these really COOL born to boat stickers of a Free Style Open Canoeist throwing a boat on a wave. I've got two of these stickers on my Taureau, this boat looks sooooo coool !!!!! The blue wave on the orange boat..... sweet !!!! You can view these stickers on Paul bubbles street site and you can get them through me or Paul. They are about six by six inches.
pmp
CBoats Addict

hatches

Post by pmp »

I'm using the ones Al refered to. leaking isn't an issue since my boat is open anyeway. I drilled a hole in the lid and put a tether on it so I wouldn't lose it. yeah it is hard to open and close but then I don't have to tighten it much as i don't care if it leaks. It just provides access to back of boat. Craigs ride is lookin' pretty sweet.
paul
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Re: hatches

Post by Craig Smerda »

pmp wrote:I'm using the ones Al refered to. leaking isn't an issue since my boat is open anyeway. I drilled a hole in the lid and put a tether on it so I wouldn't lose it. yeah it is hard to open and close but then I don't have to tighten it much as i don't care if it leaks. It just provides access to back of boat. Craigs ride is lookin' pretty sweet.
paul
So you're not denying that you keep :oops: HOT :oops: wings back there!

btw.... Kim says Hi!...she ran across our personalized artwork the other day and was laughing about the flames shooting out of "somebodys" mouth... :D...she said we can hang it on the wall as soon as someone comes back to color it all in... :wink:
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Al Greve wrote:Paul, as in Green ( Mason ), that's Red Greens brother for all you Canadains.... sorry Yanks that's an inside Canada joke !!!! :D He attached a core on the bottom side of the lid so as to attach his small dry bag. This way, at least in his mind.... :-? :D he won't lose the lid or have his dry bag slide under the air bag.

Now heres something you guys need to get !!!!!!! Paul is now doing these really COOL born to boat stickers of a Free Style Open Canoeist throwing a boat on a wave. I've got two of these stickers on my Taureau, this boat looks sooooo coool !!!!! The blue wave on the orange boat..... sweet !!!! You can view these stickers on Paul bubbles street site and you can get them through me or Paul. They are about six by six inches.
[img]http://www.bubblestreet.ca/images/canoe/c2.jpg[/img]
link; http://www.bubblestreet.ca/ca/c2.html :D
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Speaking of tethers

Post by PAC »

Based on experience with the perception saddle and some sail boats ...
I drilled a hole in the lid and put a tether on it so I wouldn't lose it. yeah it is hard to open and close but then I don't have to tighten it much as i don't care if it leaks.
...adding a tether is a fairly good idea. Attaching it to dual purpose dry / float bags is an interesting thought as well! 8)

As for the ....
these really COOL born to boat stickers of a Free Style Open Canoeist throwing a boat on a wave.
...how do we order a couple (I just couldn't figure it out on the site - I'm Thursday AM challenged)!?!?!?

The Fink was the front runner for my next boat but that might have changed. The best of to worlds here (C1 and OC1)! I'm interested in the cost of the skirt and what the factory / production version will look like! I also really need to demo one! :wink: The event not formally called "Louie fest" is looking better and better!

Finally, Craig thanks and kudos for a job well done! Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Re: Speaking of tethers

Post by Craig Smerda »

The Fink was the front runner for my next boat but that might have changed. The best of to worlds here (C1 and OC1)! I'm interested in the cost of the skirt and what the factory / production version will look like! I also really need to demo one! :wink:
They are completely different boats and each have their place. Neither are playboats but both have incredible speed for their respective lengths. The one distinct advantage of this boat that has recieved lots of postive feedback from folks who have seen the pics or seen the boat in person is simply the room and volume. I can't think of many C1s out there that you can have a tall saddle, adjustable footpegs, and un-"crushed" knees in. I'll be working with Jacques on the production version and once it is all figured out pricing will be availible. I'm really happy to see folks who had either written this boat off or where considering a C1 or conversion are interested and excited about it now. :D
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Craig, is the outfitting gonna stay the same?

I have to say, one thing I didn't like too much when I briefly paddled one was the huge bulkhead which made entry and exit for a long legged individual like myself very slow, I did feel 'trapped' and not able to get out in a hurry if need be, unlike in my own boats.
I can't stand paddling a boat with foot pegs any more, I don't even use them in my Prelude, I use the bulkehead, to position my knees and a lap belt, however in a decked boat I prefer, for (maybe only percieved) safety, thigh straps. It seemed to me however that there is no easy way to attach thigh strap anchors in the crotch area.

I also think that the outfitting, particularly of the decked should be modified in a way that it's easy to get at the bow and stern area.
With it's huge volume the decked Taureau would be an ideal boat for multiday expeditions. Access to the ends is however an issue.
The hatches are neat to get small items like a throw bag, lunch bag or water bottle inside, but it won't work for sleeping bags and such.

In my Finkenmeister for instance all I have to do is remove 2 screws and I can remove the outfitting for easy access to the entire bow and stern are.

Just something to think about. Maybe produce an expedition version?

Other than that I think it is a great boat!

Cheers!

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

martin wrote:Craig, is the outfitting gonna stay the same?

I have to say, one thing I didn't like too much when I briefly paddled one was the huge bulkhead which made entry and exit for a long legged individual like myself very slow, I did feel 'trapped' and not able to get out in a hurry if need be, unlike in my own boats.
I can't stand paddling a boat with foot pegs any more, I don't even use them in my Prelude, I use the bulkehead, to position my knees and a lap belt, however in a decked boat I prefer, for (maybe only percieved) safety, thigh straps. It seemed to me however that there is no easy way to attach thigh strap anchors in the crotch area.

I also think that the outfitting, particularly of the decked should be modified in a way that it's easy to get at the bow and stern area.
With it's huge volume the decked Taureau would be an ideal boat for multiday expeditions. Access to the ends is however an issue.
The hatches are neat to get small items like a throw bag, lunch bag or water bottle inside, but it won't work for sleeping bags and such.

In my Finkenmeister for instance all I have to do is remove 2 screws and I can remove the outfitting for easy access to the entire bow and stern are.

Just something to think about. Maybe produce an expedition version?
I don't see the oufitting changing for now. Was the outfitting in the boat you paddled carved out for you... or bone stock?... I've seen some big-lanky-dudes use bulkheads if they are carved out to fit the individual. (You might be able to rig up a hole or two through the saddle with some pvc tubing to run straps through but there really isn't a place to attach them to on the other end.) One option to consider would be some nice tight fitting hip blocks with a carved out bulkhead.... I may even add hip blocks to my own boat.

As for camping gear :roll: and hauling your tent, firewood, sleepbag, pad, favorite pillow, 3 cases of beer, fireworks and marshmallows... well there is such a thing as a spaceblanket, inflateable pillow and cliff-bars... or look into a lovely Prospecter..... be creative... I think you could get a reasonable amount of gear into there if you are conservative... mind you that there are two ends of the boat to pack stuff in... not just one. :D To make huge hatches on the boat would mean a complete re-design and that isn't in the cards right now... down the road... who knows? I put the hatches on for two main reasons... (1) Access to airbags and small items. (2) I'm crazy and my mind works in odd and mysterious ways. :lol:
Jan_dettmer
CBoats Addict

Post by Jan_dettmer »

Hmmmm, can those hatches be bigger? I like big hatches so that you can fit whole drybags with gear in without having to have a zillion individual bags.

Cheers, Jan
Is there something like an expert kayaker?
http://www.bc-ww.com
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Craig,

The boat was definitely on the tight side for me.
But I found that bulkhead outfittings alone just don't work for me , no matter what I do. Tried it on my Prelude and my Finkenmeister. Without some sorts of straps it's either too tight to get in or out or I get sucked out or fall out at very inopportune moments :-? .

As far as the camping gear is concerned, we usually do a weeklong river trip in Northern Ontario in early Spring, during runoff.
No firewood, lawn chair cases of beer and and such for me, but during those conditions (it''s frequently still well below freezing at night), a space blanket and energy bars alone just don't cut it, at least not for me :-? .

I realize that the Taureau has enough volume in the ends, just getting at it is the issue with the current outfitting. The holes as well as hatches are just too small to pass my sleeping bag, stove, pots and other items like that through :( .
if the boat had a different outfitting it would be the ultimate expedition boat! As it is, I guess I'll have to stick to the FM for our weeklong trips for now.

As far as the Prospector is concerned, I am nowhere near good enough to run those rivers during spring runoff withoutgetting anihilated... :wink: ...

But I will definitely give the C1 version of the Taureau a good look once it' out. Maybe I can come up with some ideas of my own... :wink: ...

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!

But I will definitely give the C1 version of the Taureau a good
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Jan_dettmer wrote:Hmmmm, can those hatches be bigger? I like big hatches so that you can fit whole drybags with gear in without having to have a zillion individual bags.

Cheers, Jan
They make an 8" with double latches but it would'nt fit on the existing deck... too big.
ClassFive Boats
C Guru

Post by ClassFive Boats »

I did the same thing to a Savage superfly a few months ago.. Its the best of boat worlds.