Official March Lenoir City C-Boat Armada post

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

Official March Lenoir City C-Boat Armada post

Post by ChrisKelly »

I been gone for almost three weeks and thought Louie and ya'll wudda consolidated all the fecal matter.

Louie, Is there any news?

Management here: How do we start a sticly post? Do I or does Louie have to do something?

One thing I want to see happen is some repair/outfitting sessions.

Chris Kelly

[edited to no longer be "sticky" - Scott]
Louie

Your lardship

Post by Louie »

I'm closin in on finishin the Nuclear box and almost over the flu. Hope you had a good time I will bring you up to speed. Right now it is work 8 hr take Nyquil and other dope along with various Mexican
reminides all involves Tequilla then I sleep 16 hours.
Heidi
Pain Boater

It Ain't Louie Single Sticker CBoat Fest '07

Post by Heidi »

The when, where and what are firm as of 1/28/07, but the * rest is still fluid (i.e., only Louie knows for sure) and may change.

Event: It Ain't Louie Single Sticker CBoat Fest '07
When: March 9 - 18, 2007
Where: Lenoir, Tennessee / East TN, near Knoxville
What: Informal gathering of whitewater cboaters for paddling some of Tennessee's finest class 2-5...all ages welcome

*Maybe informal sessions on river running skills, slalom racing, rodeo, outfitting, repair, building
*Esquif will give away a hot new boat
*Louie will honor someone with a boat from his collection
*Mohawk will be there

Accommodations: Please visit the Loudon County web site at: www.visitloudoncounty.com. and if you have further questions about the area, please call 865-986-6822 or 888-568-3662 (toll free).
Weather: Historical Temps - highs average in the 50's lows in the 30's
Head Instigator contact: Louie at boatlouie@bellsouth.net
Louie's Banquet Hall or some bigger banquet hall near Kingston Street in Lenoir will be a gathering place to plan paddles, watch videos, etc...

Some of the local rivers:
Class 3 - Ocoee, Clear Creek, Nolichucky, Lower Tellico
Class 4 - Little River, Tremont, Tellico, Island Creek, Daddy's Creek, Little Clear Creek
Class 5 - West Prong, Henderson Creek, North Chichamauga Creek

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Questions I've been getting; will day trips be "led" by someone who knows the river and will there be daily options for folks looking for 2, 3, 4 water (maybe a waiver should be in place so that the risks are acknowledged upfront and no one i.e., informal leaders held liable); will there be demo boats and what are the terms of use; will there be a schedule of activities or is it just going to happen on the fly?
Last edited by Heidi on Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

Four of us are coming from the northeast and would like to camp so we also would like the event postponed one week until the TVA campgrounds open.

This shingding started out with Louie stating that he now owned a banquet hall and invited all C-boaters to stay there for a week to paddle. Now lots of people are requesting special activities such as rolling instructions and boat repair clinics. If we don't watch out this thing will become an organizational nightmare instead of a week of paddling.

This is an informal gathering and not a club outing so why would anyone be held responsible for someone else getting hurt on a river? If I choose to follow someone who knows the river there's no reason why she/he should be responsible for my well being. If nobody knew the river and I ended up going first would I be liable?
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I am free the weekend of Mar 16-18 - the rest are booked, so I for one hope we leave it (same for another boater from here).

I agree on the liability - we never fooled with any of that on previous "armadas".
Al Greve
C Guru

Post by Al Greve »

Hi all.
There is only one problem with the dates, if you push it back to the week starting the 19th. The March break week here in Ontario starts the week of the 12th, that means you'd more than likly have fewer paddler coming down from this side of the border. I know this could be a factor for a lot of us, given some of us are teachers and some, like us were planning to bring the kids down for some boating.

Just food for thought.

But you'll have to decide shortly on the week you want because some of us need to book time off from work and arrange and book lodgings.
kballard
c

dates

Post by kballard »

If we are voting on dates, the 9th to 18th works best for me. It's spring break at the school where I teach. I and one or two of my students will be coming if it is that week.
ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

WRT to Heidi's question about trip s and leaders....

Post by ChrisKelly »

here is what I think.

This is just a bunch of friends boating together. It is not an organized club or organization. I plan to "lead" a trip for newer/intermediate boaters, prolly on Clear Creek. I know the Creek and it is well within my ability level. I may make suggestions but nobody who goes with has to do anything that I say. Each boater will make his/her own decisions about what to run or not and will be responsible for same.

I also hope to follow some better boaters on some harder runs. On those I will listen to the sugestions of the trip leader but I responsible for my own decisions.

I think there wil be lots of trips like this; a bunch of boaters going boating together and someone who knows the run emerging as an unofficila trip leader or organizer. I plan to paddle a bunch or times during the week. On none of those trips is anybody but me responsible for me. I will do my best to help others and think that others will do their best to help me but in the end ours is an inherently dangerous risk sport where each person assumes his own risk.

As Jim said, I want a week of good times, learning and boating, not a week of paperwork.

Chris Kelly
Al Greve
C Guru

Post by Al Greve »

I'm really cool with that Chris.

I will be bringing a shuttle bunny with us, she had planed on doing some boating down there but broke her leg skiing, sucks to be her. :wink: :lol: But thats not stopping the girls and myself, we'll be looking to check out some new rivers. :wink:

Cheers Al
Heidi
Pain Boater

liability

Post by Heidi »

Hey, my comment about the waiver was just a thought, forget I mentioned it. I'm not a lawyer and make no pretense to knowing the law, but ignorance of the law is no defense and I don't assume that common sense applies when it comes to laws. New York State tort laws are full of absurdities. Last SWR I attended Charlie related a story about how a guy who had agreed to let another guy he didn't know follow him down a run. The follower died and his wife was suing the guy who her husband was following. I can't remember with certainty which state it was in and there wasn't a court decision at that time. Apparently that state allowed that he could be held liable or the suit would have no merit. Lawyer fees, time and energy spent on defending oneself...pita. Yes, this is just an informal gathering and I haven't a clue what's in the Tennessee law books, so like I said forget I mentioned it and I'll say no more so to keep this thread on track.

Heidi
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

I'll say no more so to keep this thread on track.
:-?

This thread is still on track as far as I can see 8)

Keep the posts coming and don't hold back. Nothing wrong with opinions. Everybody's got 'em and I'm just FULL of 'em. :D (and don't nobody threadjack what I just said. :P )

KNeal
Louie

ya that what it is

Post by Louie »

A bunch of single sticker sticker gettin together in a warm part of the country at a cold time of the year. A chance for the snowbirds to boat a little ahead of their friends and with the right rain a chance to get some people on some rivers that they won't find in a guide book and would never find just drivin around lookin. Banquet hall is just a central place( crash pad ) to gether, drink beer, and talk about sissystickers. Also brain storm about gettin more people into the sport, postin water flows workin out trips figurin out who should go where. I didn't take time to read all the above post yet so I don't know about the lawyer, wavier, stuff. All I can say is sue a begger and catch a louse.
Crash
C Boater

Post by Crash »

I would like to attend but don't know till it gets closer.About law suets My wife promest me not to sue my frends+I took out life ins.As Crash implies I have been stuped more than one or two times
C-Ya+Ride Safe
Crash
keez
C Guru

waivers, claims, liabilities, etc.

Post by keez »

Holy frig, are you guys ever litigious.
What ever happened to a bunch of boaters getting together and paddling a river.
Are gone the days when you could paddle up to a fellow boater and ask "have you done this one, and anything to watch out for?"
Maybe if we exclude any lawyers from "Louiefest" we can keep the spirit of the sport intact.
There's my rant., and yes I'll sign a dam waiver if I have to.
Keez