Try a Zephyr

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

philinasheville
C Guru

Try a Zephyr

Post by philinasheville »

I've paddled an outrage for about 6 years now and it's a great boat. You can't go wrong with one. I was ready for a different boat, and I really wanted an Ocoee, but decided to give the Zephyr a try, and bought one (after I demo'd a Bell Ocoee for an entire weekend on class 3+). If you're gonna buy a new boat, BE SURE that you try a Zephyr. It was the best boat for me. Great company to buy from, great technology and great boat. Good Luck.

-phil
philinasheville
C Guru

1 more thing

It came down to the Ocoee and the Zephyr for me. The Ocoee is a great boat Surf's great, hard edge, etc... You cannot go wrong with it, I just liked the Zephyr better.
philinasheville
C Guru

Whoops!

I'm an idiot, both these posts were intended to be responses to the " Thoughts on a solo boat" post by Vin.

Sorry,
phil
bamaboater
Pain Boater

Post by bamaboater »

I'd like to try one out sometime. maybe at the NOC this summer if I ever get over there. now you're not the only poster on the thread you started
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

Phil thanks for letting my fat butt put some scratches in that new boat. It is a good boat. I have my fingers crossed.

Trey
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
msims
CBoats Addict

Post by msims »

Deadlegs, How fat is your fat a$$? I mean, what weight were you paddling the zepher at and how did it handle compared to other boats?

(eg. I find the Ocoee a little edgy weighing in at 250)

Philenasiville, what did you like about the zephry over the ocoee?

Thanks mike.
-- Cya
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

My Zephyr will be at the not-Louie-fest this coming weekend. It's bulkhead outfitted and sized for the larger sized individual...
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

I am 6'7" and about 260. The zephyr, for as much of me as I could get in it, was fast and nimble. It is tempting to get a new one and give it a real go. It was not twitchy or too edgy for me. I would highly recomend one.

Trey
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
philinasheville
C Guru

Reasons

I bought a Zephyr for the following reasons:

Great company to buy from, great technology, surfs great, turns great, light weight, super durable, fairly fast, and the list goes on!

good luck,
-phil
floater
c

Post by floater »

Something I've been wondering about the Twintex hull of the Zephyr---How slippery is it? My first kayak was an old Dick Held (no jokes please) fiberglass job. I used to get spun around 180 degrees hanging up on unseen submerged rocks, usually at inopportune moments.
Plastic boats were a huge improvement, in that regard at least. I love warm low water summer runs but hate getting thrown off my line by inevitable rock contacts. So how does Twintex compare to Royalex in slickness? And has modern fiberglass improved in that regard over 70's era glass?
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

experience from 60 plus runs

Post by Wendy »

in Zephyr. It is in between plastic and glass only boats. when in current and low water it slides well till really low, like below Stackhouse on FB. I flipped twice on Ocoee when edying out to empty I hit a small rock at midships on the eddy line.
Very pleased with durability. I am changing to the bulkhead system- really like the ease of entry and exit.
vin
C Boater

Post by vin »

Loved hearing some of your Zepher comments, but you all sound like some very large human beings. How will the boat respond to a 145 lb. padder?
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Vin you being a lighter weight might be a good thing in this boat. To me the ends of a Zephyr are a little too low, with not enough rocker. At 175-180 I might not be the best to respond. In my test drive the boat did not spin very well, due to having too much boat in the water. I’m a fan of highly maneuverable canoes like Skeeters, Fly’s, Edges, and the Taureau so I’m a bit jaded. But when judged against an Ocoee it was still slow to turn. Of course this is a desirable trait for many. I’m not trashing Esquif they are a good company. However this particular design is not quite as a responsive as many of the boats they do, which could be a good thing for many. It might even be a testament as to why some of the more full-sized paddlers really like it. With a bit more boat in the water, the Zephyr probably does carry a load better.