It's an OC1... It's a C1... It's an Esquif Taureau HYBRID ?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

mshelton
CBoats Addict

Post by mshelton »

Yo yo yo, don't be fo'git'n da neon accent lights on the hull and spinna cap!
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

mshelton wrote:Yo yo yo, don't be fo'git'n da neon accent lights on the hull and spinna cap!
:roll: No... I've a far grander imagination than that....

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... _Racer.jpg[/img]
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Hey, you might be on to something. Was it Corran who described SE creeking as a form of mountain biking? If this drought keeps up, we'll all need wheels...
mshelton
CBoats Addict

Post by mshelton »

Loose the poindexter wheels and drop some 22"s on that jank!
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

mshelton wrote:Yo yo yo, don't be fo'git'n da neon accent lights on the hull and spinna cap!
Yo marshal, spinner caps and dubs are so 5 minutes ago :lol: , THIS is what ya need :o :lol: :

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/101799/cool_lighted_rims/

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Remoteproductions
Pain Boater

Back is back, so I'm back in a boat

Post by Remoteproductions »

Hey Craig...Life is grand over here in CO. My back isn't 100%, probably never will be, but good enough to get back in the water. Cracked the Fly 2 seasons ago, so I took the Phantom out for my first paddle in 2 years. Jumped into Clear Creek (class IV) and cracked it. I'm now looking at the Taureau. How's it roll compared to the Spanish Fly? Water's raging out here, so all you OCers grab your dry suit and come on out. BOB

CLEARCREEKCHALLENGE.COM
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Bob,

Good to hear from you Bob! Glad to hear you've healed up.

It rolls more like a c1 than an oc1 i.m.o. (even w/o the skirt/rim) just due to it's lack of open area. If you're (or anyone is) coming to Wausau for open boat slalom nat's. you're more than welcome to try it out.
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

Martin:

Do those caps come with or without the blonde eye candy?

John
Kev
Pain Boater

Post by Kev »

I got to Paul Mason's Taureau a couple weeks ago on a OC whitewater instructors clinic.

I liked it alot!! It was alot faster and more stable then i thought it was going to be. I paddled it on The madawaska at the MKC "chalet" rapids section and it was a blast.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

How many of you have gotten a version of the Taureau with the rim since this all started? Has it changed how you paddle when wearing the skirt and the lines you might take with it versus lines you wouldn't take without it? I'd like to hear some feedback.

Would you be interested to see more whacky creations like this?

Your feedback is appreciated and always considered.

Gratis~
8)
Craig
Last edited by Craig Smerda on Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Louie

kEPP IT UPSNOWBIRD

Post by Louie »

i HAVE YOU KNOW ALL THREE OF MY LEGS REACH THE GROUND.
Stingray
C Guru

Post by Stingray »

Thats a good one Louie, you definitely need a cock pit with a skirt.
Does it ever get cold.

I'm confused a little bit about the skirt ona toreau. I can understand making the boat so deep in order to keep it dry. However if I wanted to paddle a boat with a skirt, I would prefer a lower volume boat.

I have paddled large volume canoes with skirt and after I paddle it for a while I want to get another one with less volume. Understanding that shorter may compremise some boyancy I may not preferr as low volume as I use to, but still don't think I want a deck boat as deep as the toreau with a skirt on top.

I will confess; I haven't had a change to try the toreau yet, but plan to this summer if possible, maybe a the oc nat on the gull.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Re: kEPP IT UPSNOWBIRD

Post by Craig Smerda »

Louie wrote:i HAVE YOU KNOW ALL THREE OF MY LEGS REACH THE GROUND.
Can someone... anyone translate that for me please?
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Stingray wrote:I'm confused a little bit about the skirt ona toreau. I can understand making the boat so deep in order to keep it dry. However if I wanted to paddle a boat with a skirt, I would prefer a lower volume boat.

I have paddled large volume canoes with skirt and after I paddle it for a while I want to get another one with less volume. Understanding that shorter may compremise some boyancy I may not preferr as low volume as I use to, but still don't think I want a deck boat as deep as the toreau with a skirt on top.

I will confess; I haven't had a change to try the toreau yet, but plan to this summer if possible, maybe a the oc nat on the gull.
Hi Ray! How's tricks?

Here's the reasons I wanted to try it. First I love the comfort of an OC versus a C1... these knees aren't as good as they used to be. Secondly I've always heard folks say about our Fly's... why don't you just put a skirt on that thang?... or could you put a skirt on it?... with those boats the skirt would either be gi-normous or the filler plate/cockpit rim would add lots of bulk and look pretty silly. Third... sometimes in rare cases the volume of an OC is a crutch, sometimes it can be your best friend... but considering that the boat has lower volume and lower ends than a traditional OC, and even much like a converted (think new style MEGA converted creek kayak) it made sense to try it. Next I'm sure you as well as myself have been on those type of runs where things get "continous" or there just aren't places to dump out and running full or even partially full isn't a fantastic "option"... well... no need to worry about that any longer. I'm nice and empty... and my feet are dryer and warmer... kinda' nice for those of us in cold spring flow... no need to double up on my Kaz's'es foot thongs. Lastly... some people say why... I say why the hey'll not?

If I make it up there (I might end up being in California for a "family function") you'll be more than welcome to give it a whirl. Of course I'll want to take the latest generation of the Stingray out for a thrash... you may want to lay it up a little heavier than for someone like Kaz as I'm prone to abusing other peoples nice shiny new toys... maybe a nice titanium bottom?
:lol:
Last edited by Craig Smerda on Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim P
C Guru

three legs on the ground

Post by Jim P »

Me too - When I'm layin down.