What would be a good next boat

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

jroneil
C Guru

What would be a good next boat

Post by jroneil »

Currently I have an XL 13 I am 6'1" 280 lbs. Also all my height is from the waist up so I am rather high up (short legs 29") It is really good going with the current. but if I need to paddle up stream the boat just does not cut through the current and it does not turn that well either
The boats I think I could fit in are Mad River outrage X or Prodigy X
are there any others?
Open Gate
C Guru

Post by Open Gate »

Nitro from Esquif.

Too big for most, would suite someone your size I'm sure.

You need the power to drive this Hog. 280 lbs should be power enough :wink:
jroneil
C Guru

Post by jroneil »

I thought I might be to big for it :-?
msims
CBoats Addict

Post by msims »

I disagree. Nitro is too small for 280#. Too much of the boat is underwater - and with a bulbous front end you will have to work pretty hard.

I don't know - I paddled an Ocoee at 255# and felt that was the max for that boat... I don't know if you can go as short as 11' at that weight.

On the bright side, it caused me to lose weight so i could paddle my super-fun c1 again - 225# and dropping :-)
________
Girlfriend Pictures
Last edited by msims on Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jroneil
C Guru

Post by jroneil »

according to this site I sould be 60% max load so about 165 lbs for a nitro http://www.greatoutdoorprovision.com/cg ... aisle_id=1
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

A friend of mine who weighs about 280 (but is 6'8") went from paddling a Blast solo to trying a Nexus and a Prodigy X solo. He chose the Prodigy X and found it had lots more performance advantages over the Blast. He used to paddled an Outrage X before the Blast and says the Prodigy X is a lot more stable than the Outrage X--at least for a guy his size.
OC1_SURFER
Pain Boater

Post by OC1_SURFER »

You didn't say whether you wanted new or used, but there is a Dagger Genesis for sale on the board. I'm pretty sure this would work for you.

http://www.cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php?t=6614

Also, I know some big paddlers who have Captions outfitted solo and love them. I've tried one and have to say that for a 14 footer, it was very manuverable.

my 1 1/2 cents worth...T.P.
Nate
C Guru

Post by Nate »

The Esquif Blast solo might be a good bet. The design (in my opinion) is much more interesting and has MUCH more potential than the prodigy x. But that's just because I'm not a big fan of the prodigy boats in general. I think anyone would be much better off in a Blast.
jroneil
C Guru

Post by jroneil »

The answers are coming in where I thought. I am working on loosing the weight but I will always be on the heavy side because I am larged framed and all my height is from the waist up I have a very long body.
New /Used I will look for the deal the Genisis is within driving distance. But I am trying to get info before I make a decision and learn about the different options

The XL 13 I can go through a lot of stuff and feel very comfortable but when things get tight it is hard to manuever. It is going to be come my sons boat. I have bought 3 canoes in the past year (good deals and I still have not paid the price of a new boat yet.) But my wife will not let me do that again So I want to pick something that will allow me to grow with and will have it for a few years
My wife still has not learn how many boats I need
Just one More :lol:
Open Gate
C Guru

Post by Open Gate »

The Nitro is a big boat !!! (11'-6'' lenght 27 1/2 width)

4'' longer then Ocoee, 3/4'' wider and I've only seen big guys paddle this boat with success in hairy Stuff.

And yes, even if you're in the upper limits of the weight range, you can compensate with POWER, lift that boat out of the water with quick acceleration and you have a small boat for a big guy !

If the 11'-6'' Nitro is too small for 280# paddler where does that leave a 220# paddler in a small 7'-1'' super fun ???

I love small boats :wink:
philinasheville
C Guru

Maybe consider...

Post by philinasheville »

You should consider a Dagger Caption (outfit solo) and Dagger Encore. They may be a little more responsive than your XL13.

Trey's a big guy and loves his Encore!

Good Luck!
Phil
jroneil
C Guru

Post by jroneil »

Thank you eveyone this is very good information many different opions it is very helpful :D
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

solo outfitted tandem playboat

Post by ohioboater »

Solo outfitted tandem playboat is the way to go. Can't speak for the Blast, but the Caption would be great.

At 280 lbs, you basically weigh what many mixed tandem teams do. For the guys who are recommending you get an 11 foot playboat, I'd suggest those guys try sticking a 120 lb person in the boat with them and see how it handles :).
jroneil
C Guru

Post by jroneil »

When I tandam I use a tripper my son is also a big boy hugh thighs plays football he is all most 6 ft and 230lbs. I paddle a dagger ledgion and was in the bow the other guy was 200+ with the plastic perception seats the gunnel was only 2 -3 inches above the gunnel If the stern did not help with the turn we did not turn. So that is why I want to make sure I do not over load the boat. I feel much more comfortable in the tripper I do not feel like a submarine :D
pblanc
CBoats Addict

big boats

Post by pblanc »

Second the Dagger Encore and Dagger Caption. The Dagger Caper has very similar dimensions to the Caption, and was actually brought out as Dagger's first solo WW OC1. It would work well if you can find one.

The Genesis was marketed as a large person's Encore, but was nothing like it. I didn't like it much when I tried it. You already mentioned the XL13, a big friendly tub that doesn't maneuver very well.

If you could find one, a Whitesell Pyranha might suit you very well.