USED BELL PRODIGY X

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Mark D
c

USED BELL PRODIGY X

Post by Mark D »

I just bought a used one with factory set up. It seems to cramp my toes kinda like they are pinchded. I guess I need some help on setting it up. Any help would be usefull. As I paddle this boat I will probley have more questions. Thanks Mark.

I am also looking for some oc1 people to paddle with in the central Alabame area. I live within 6 miles of the Locust and the Mulberry put in. I have been out of this for a decade or so. Can paddle 3pluss water but I am currently teaching a cupple of people on class 2 and small 3. They are in Madriver Legend 15.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Describe how your feet are positioned. I kneel with the tops of my feet flat on the bottom of the boat, and I don't use toe blocks. Others have their ankles at 90 degrees or so, with their toes contacting the bottom of the boat. Most such people use toe blocks, some of which are adapted kayak footrests such as Yakimas.

So, which are you and how are your toes pinched?
Bill M
C Guru

Post by Bill M »

I'm not sure about your toes, but there are a lot of openboaters in the Huntsville Canoe Club and in the Birmingham Canoe Club
Mark D
c

Post by Mark D »

It has Toe blocks, and when I set with ankles at 90 degree my toe seem to get bowed to the top of my foot. I just went out and moved my foot begs back about 2 notches and pushed my feet under them. It was much more comfortable but I didn't seem to have as much "push pressure" against my thigh straps. So there is a lot of pressure between the bottom of my boat and the foot begs. I am afraid it will de-laminate the block from my boat.
I am not against removing the foot pegs. What are the thoughts.
Eric Nyre
C Guru

Ankle Blocks

Post by Eric Nyre »

If you have a Prodigy X set up with the Foote Saddle, but without ankle blocks, your toes can get really crammed.

Ankle blocks are large chunks of foam that sit in front of the footpedals. They allow you to relax your feet by resting the top of your foot (ankle) on the block. It takes the pressure off your toes.

I've seen some stock Bell setups where they used what looked like mouse pads for padding. If you have that, you'll need real support instead.
Mark D
c

Post by Mark D »

It is set up with the Foote Saddle, It appears they used good quality material but has no ankle blocks . any picks on what they look like and location in boat.
Eric Nyre
C Guru

Ankle Block Location

Post by Eric Nyre »

I've sold my old fleet (waiting on new boats to replace them), but I do have some old photos of a Prodigy X with pump at http://www.canoecolorado.com/canoeing/bilgepump

If you look at the shots, you'll see the ankle blocks next to the saddle in front of the footpedals.

They are also very easy to visualize. You're sitting in the boat with your toes against the footpedals. Look at your ankles, then look down to the boat. Notice a huge mongo gap of air between foot and hull? That's where the blocks go. They sit in front of the footpedals, under that curve of your feet, taking the weight and pressure off your toes.

They're easy to make out of foam. The ones in the bilge pump shot are Mike Yee, but you can cut/ shape them to whatever fits.
Mark D
c

Post by Mark D »

Ive done some adjusting and The boat fells a lot better. Cant wait to get her on some white water.