Left or Right

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

funkidreadz
C Guru

Left or Right

Post by funkidreadz »

Wot up Cboats,
Assuming that we all have a favourite side and that one side is better than the other, which is the best side?
I am a Lefty and think that Left is the best side to paddle canoe, probably just because I paddle on the left.
I support my logic by thinking that if a J stroke is a really J stroke then it was invented by a paddler who paddled on the Left. If it was invented by a righty then it would be called the unfinished b stroke.

James
msims
CBoats Addict

Post by msims »

amen.

back when i played hockey, shooting left was also the best.

I think it's just a cooincidence that I happen to paddle left, the superior side.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

While I agree that paddling left rules. It's unfortunate that rolling on the left is impossible.

That's my experience anyway.

So now I usually paddle OC left, but I am paddling C1 right (because I'll need to roll way more often).

PY.
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

I like to switch back and forth instead of using a cross stroke. That is why i rule class I!

I'm a righty.
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

lefty

Post by oc1paddlr »

I'm right-handed, but paddle only on the left. Seems like alot of the rivers I paddle are made for lefties cause so many good eddies are on the left...eddy above the bull, above the nantie falls(I know), at hades hole, ect. My worst spot is the offside peelout at the mid ocoee put in. I never switch, so I guess I'm not worth a hoot on the right! My crossover strokes seem more natural.
paddlr
red boat ready
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Right rules 8) The exception is when the Halifax gauge is ~17.5'. That makes a very shallow eddy & you beat up your paddle :evil: if you're paddling right trying to get on the wave. At that level there's a lot more water on attainer's left so it's easier for a lefty to get on the wave. I've been working on paddling left for this spot. I can get on the wave, but surfing w/ the paddle on the wrong side of the boat is a little tricky :-?
Roger
C Guru

Post by Roger »

Right-handed naturally, but I started paddling on the left because my wife wanted to paddle on the right (tandem in a Bluehole OCA).

When I began to paddle solo, it was natural to stay there. When I began to get serious about paddling, I gave the right side a try, no good, very awkward feeling.

As an instructor, I began to work on the right side due to the fact that so many students were righties though this was a benefit when I exhibited a stroke facing the students. Practiced these on the river in the flat sections of the trips.

But please don't make me do the real committed off-side stroke from the right side!

Don't know if there is best side or what, though it does seem that the best eddies are on river left.

On the Cossatot in Arkansas when you get into the Falls, three of the first four drops involve a serious right turn in the crux of the drops requiring usually an off-side stroke due to the rocks on the route! :(
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

I'm left- handed; but paddle on the right. This has always been so. I believe it is that I have more control of the blade angle through the T-grip. But, it did make rolling up counter-intuitive at first. I often practice paddling on the left, but mostly on flat water.
dance for rain
sdbrassfield
Supporting Paddler

Post by sdbrassfield »

On whitewater I paddle primarily lefty until a surf, side surf or play dictates a change if necessary. Flatwater I paddle primarily righty.

On terra-firma I do everything righty...
SYOTR
Aaron M
C Boater

Post by Aaron M »

I'm right handed and usually paddle right. By "usually" I mean that if I'm ferrying across a stong current, or i need to make progress against a light current, I'll switch sides the "normal" way because with my 2 months of developement in my cross-stroke muscles, I can get so much more power if I switch sides. Downriver I always paddle right and cross left though.

I can't see the issue with eddying out. Heck I eddy out better with a cross stroke than onside eddy stroke.

I'm with brassfield. It seems very awkward trying to brace a side surf with a cross.
Last edited by Aaron M on Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
I saw a duck skirt a hole and then eddy out. He could have easily flown. Makes you wonder, why'd he do that?
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I paddle righty and have done so exclusively for so long (on whitewater at least) that I paddle as one who is mentally challenged when I paddle on the left. I am saving that for that time to come when I am bored because I have mastered paddling completely - I'll switch to paddling lefty and it will be like starting all over again - voila - and I will have another 30 years of paddling to look forward to.
MikeOC1
C Guru

Post by MikeOC1 »

Im right handed but paddle lefty, from the first time I paddled solo it just felt right (left that is). I figured it was cause I needed my right hand as control on t-grip.dont know.
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

I also paddle right, but I have to say that my finesse is actually on my left side. The steering is much finer when i paddle lefty. The problem with paddling left is that I completely mess up my braces and reaction. I never tried crossover strokes, but I think that should feel very awkward too.
On flatwater or class I I tend to change every now and then, to give my muscles a break.
Jim P
C Guru

right

Post by Jim P »

both on the water and off, always been a righty. On the flats I will often switch to left paddling at the novice level, but once we get to class .5, back to the right again.

Wife is a righty on land, paddles left, just what came natural to her. Makes for a natural tandem partner. I just can't seem to get her addicted...
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Righty. I have no cross when paddling on the left.