It's...It's..It's...ALIVE!!!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

It's...It's..It's...ALIVE!!!

Post by Sir Adam »

Well, I boated the Maven (prototype II) this evening. WOW. I'm actually impressed how it came out-it's more stable than the Oxygen (which isn't difficult, admittedly), MUCH better secondary stability than a Master cut Acrobat (the "turret" helps with this A LOT), and cartwheels easier than both of them. Comfort on bow and stern stations is pretty good as it's an extreme "shred cut" (rounded ends) right now-I'm going to point them a bit more before making the mold.

It does leak a bit right now, but I really want to see how it all worked out before putting more of the pre-mold work into it. I'm hoping to make a mold in the next few weeks, time permitting (right...), and a boat. I'd REALLy like to have one on hand for the Ottawa armada, but I really doubt it will happen-too much work in the way. But, we'll C. Perhaps for a Sept. Hudson Armada :D .

I've got tons of images to put up for the boat and all the work I've been doing to it (new deck, "turret" etc...), but no time to put them up yet.

Just out of curiousity, is there anyone else out there that would be interested in a TRUE C1 squirt boat (that is less twitchy then the Oxygen?). I'm tempted to build a few, or see if PS Composites or Murky Waters would be interested in building a few, if there's interest and the boat comes out of the mold OK.....
Keep the C!
Adam
C1Deli
C Boater

Great!

Post by C1Deli »

Sounds great -- let's see some pics!

Would it cut up to take 240 lbs?

And big, long thighs?

/edwin
______
More nonsense like this at
http://www.biothinking.com/paddle/
CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Post by CosmikDebris »

I'd probably be interested, but it would really depend on the rise of my current fund situation. I'd definatly like to try it out though. I'm planning on paddling my Acrobat all summer instead of my playboat, its so much fun. Take care,
will
Randy
C Guru

Congrat's on the design!

Post by Randy »

It has to be satisfying to design your own boat. As your own worst critic, it says a lot for the design that you think you have something successful. Especially since you are a self-avowed junkie that has tried many designs. Congrat's!

I am interested in the design, and possibly funding one boat.

What do you think the prerequisite skill level is for someone to enjoy using the Maven? Lately I've been running class II/III in my Forplay conversion - rolling often and no real success on even simple stern or bow stalls. I never even think about cartwheels on the river, and can't chain any moves in the pool. Basically, I'm still a newbie that can surf once in awhile. Would a 'true' squirt boat be premature?

I look forward to hearing more.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Replies...

Post by Sir Adam »

Ok, one at a time I guess:

C1 Deli-240lbs-you'd sink to your neck-it'd be a GREAT mystery session :lol: . Seriously, one of the reasons for this boat is I haven't found a great sinky squirt boat for folks under 180 or so. Over 180-200, you can get an Acrobat that works out very well. The "medium standard cut for 165 Acrobat" that I've got would work very well for you if it had an enlarged cockpit (not hard to do, or order one up built like that from PS Composites or others).

CosmikDebris-we'll C what happens with the Mold :D

Randy-it all depends on how adventurous you're feeling :D . It is narrow by most C1 standards, but less edgy than some squirt boats (Acrobat and Oxygen)-it feels more like the Viper (smooth and fluid)(of course, that could have been due to the bow and stern leaks too... :o ).

I'm going to try and give it a go again this evening and have someone take some digital images-I'll post if I get them up with a link. The boat right now is UGLY, but it IS a prototype-it still needs final smoothing before it's a plug to turn into a mold.
Keep the C!
Adam
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Well....

Post by PAC »

Great to hear it's coming to a point were you are satisifed with it! I'm very impressed since I know how much time and energy goes into design, proto-ing, and making a boat.
Looking for pictures and (possible) video of it in action, as well as those glamor shots you promised!
As you know I'm still trolling about looking for a 3D boat (glass squirt) so I am interested in you design.
Keep us posted!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Steffen

C1 Squirt

Post by Steffen »

Hi
Sure I´m interested in an Squirt C1 but I think in Europe it´s not possible to get one.....