Need Advice! Soon to be OC1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Eric Nyre wrote:Craig's right about a demo. I'd also add that you might look into a class. OC-1 isn't rocket science, but it's a different style from kayaks and rafts.

Taking a day clinic will let you learn some tricks, play in boats, and by the end you'll be much more informed on what you're looking for in a boat.

FYI, in terms of rafters/ kayakers coming into OC-1, take your skill level down a notch. If you're a solid class IV kayaker, you'll find a similar challenge in class III with open boats.

Two boats worth a serious peek:
Esquif Zephyr - very light, not cutting edge but comfortable
Esquif Taureau - still light, far more responsive

Even though she's strong, a heavy beast will control her and she needs it to be the other way around.
ditto to what Eric and Craig'er said....open boating is no different than kayaking, some people want a plane'n hull, some displacement.. there's creek boats, playboats, n-river runners... and just like kayakers-there's open boaters who'll swear - their's is best

also torso length is more important than overall height - some people are more long waisted, than others...take Carolyn Peterson for instance - she rather short, but what a reach that girl has
JulieKeller.com
Pain Boater

Post by JulieKeller.com »

Great to hear that another women will be joining the open canoe family. I'm 5'2" and a little heavier then your wife. I mostly paddle a Dagger Phantom but I also have a Dagger Rival. I agree with those that said to demo - and keep demo-ing until the right boat lands under her knees. Outfitting is very important too - a great boat with outfitting that doesn't fit makes for the wrong boat. I've had real good luck with getting Rocky Garrett to do outfitting that gets me in a boat "just right". Rocky lives in Monteray, TN. As for instruction - a little bit goes a long way especially when just starting out in a new type of boat. I used to teach open canoe classes for TSRA (out of Nashville, TN) but have lost touch with them since moving to Northern Virginia six years ago.

Good luck with your new "mixed" marriage - I have one too :)

Julie
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

Keep in mind while demoing that as you paddle more boats you will develop better skills so a lot of times each new boat you paddle feels like the best. After you have become better go back and paddle a few of the boats that were demoed first to see how they paddle once you have become a better paddler.
Good Luck
B
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Christian,

another possibility is the http://www.mulberryraces.com down in Alabama (March 1-2)...

it's a two day event .. there will be lot's of different boats, and most everyone willing to loan or help out the truly interested...it's a two day event with a 'true' cruising class on Sunday, not that she would be interested in competing .... more-so there will be a wide selection of what's locally preferred... and it's not that far from Nashville, being about 45 minutes north of B'ham.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

philcanoe wrote:Christian,

another possibility is the http://www.mulberryraces.com down in Alabama (March 1-2)...

it's a two day event .. there will be lot's of different boats, and most everyone willing to loan or help out the truly interested...it's a two day event with a 'true' cruising class on Sunday, not that she would be interested in competing .... more-so there will be a wide selection of what's locally preferred... and it's not that far from Nashville, being about 45 minutes north of B'ham.
Just keep in mind... that "water" in the mason jar getting passed around is not Aquafina!!! :lol:
boathead
C Guru

OC1 choices for your better half

Post by boathead »

A lot of the suggestions are right on. Demos, clinics, and especially Craiger's " happy husband scenario". It is ok to let the wife try your hand me downs but beware of letting her try your new boats before you do. I lost my brand spankin new Taureau that way. My wife is 5'6 / 118 lbs and paddles a Phantom, Pyranha I4 conversion and the "aforementioned Taureau". She paddles mostly class II water and occasionally class III. One more thing, I can't tell you how great it feels to have your best friend love and have as much fun as you canoeing togather. .........the Boathead........
craig
CBoats Addict

best boat for oc1 newbie

Post by craig »

Christian, see about one of the millbrook boats. Occasionally they can be found used at a good price.Not the best for shallow water or creeks, but they are remarkably tough, and light. many models to choose from. I'll have my Hooter with me at ALF in a few weeks if your wife wants to test paddle it.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Craig Smerda wrote: Just keep in mind... that "water" in the mason jar getting passed around is not Aquafina!!! :lol:
... nasty germs, no problem
MikeOC1
C Guru

Post by MikeOC1 »

JulieKeller.com wrote: I used to teach open canoe classes for TSRA (out of Nashville, TN) but have lost touch with them since moving to Northern Virginia six years ago.
Julie
TSRA still has an excellent canoe school for beginners usually in June.
Dale
C Boater

OC1 advice

Post by Dale »

Yes indeed some very good suggestions on OC1.
I like Esquif boats - Spark, Zephyr (sp), Detonator. :D :lol: :D
I paddle a spark and a MR Outrage.
As for OC1 courses you could also go to Charlemont MA and take a class through Zoar Outdoor. They also have the above boats in their training fleet. Although not the Spark.
OC1 paddling is great - I started as a kayker - I think that made it easier to be an OC1 er. Except you are mssing half the blade, but you only use one blade at a time while kayaking anyway.
Dale
Helly
C Guru

I agree with

Post by Helly »

the DEMOing boats.....they are all so different! But being a woman paddler, I find the boats I like best are the lighter boats, mostly because I can move them when I need to.
I started out in a prodigy....but being a yaker going OC1, I found that when I leaned to carve a turn, water always came in, and the length too long.
Quickly switched to a detonator....I really, really liked that boat, and even though it delaminated, I've got another...the only thing is it does weigh more than I'd prefer. However, if you can find one with wood gunnels, it takes off some of the weight. Great learning boat!
I also like the Phantom...it is probably about 4lb lighter than the detonator, and makes crisper turns, and is faster. But it may be hard to find one.
My fav boat now is the Rumba...however, would not be a good learning boat, cause you'd probably be patching it all the time! It is glass.....just let me take this opportunity to say that KAZ REALLY SHOULD CONSIDER MAKING THESE IN PLASTIC!!! I've already hounded him about it, but I just couldn't not say it again.
A Zephyr might be a good choice due to it's lightness, but there is a learning curve on making it catch eddies crisply...it mostly likes to carve.
Just my 2 cents....oh yeah, the taureau is fun, but kinda slow.
And I think the Outrage is too big of boat for most women...
Helly
C Guru

Oh another thought!

Post by Helly »

As small as your wife is, she may be a good fit for one of Sweet Composites boats! Those are awesome...If I was her weight range I would definitely try one of those out! The kids version (even though they are making adult versions now)